DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dangerous Drone Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of what has been said but I am very confused at some of you guys being surprised by reckless behavior. We're all human and most humans at some point in life act in a reckless manner. I don't see a difference between this topic or speeding, driving too fast for conditions, dwi, illegal dumping, or even riding with your friend on your handle bars... But I guess

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Freddyflier
I'm with you.

Self-policing is the best way. Try and take people with you by calmly explaining the issues, the dangers and the wider implications. Antagonising individuals and/or the authorities for every incident real or perceived will just be another step towards harsher regulations.

By all means if there is someone doing runway approach fly bys then yes, definitely worthy of an official report. Someone breaching 400 ft ceiling (unwittingly) in middle of nowhere, then a quiet word.

Biggest idiot I have seen was someone from a "Freeman" type organisation winding up the authorities by flying near a prison. Taking pleasure, not in drone flying, but in getting an argument with the Police.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
If that was in California he is lucky, Correctional Officers have the right to shoot down any RC A/C approaching the prison perimeter, and you would have to mortgage your house to pay the fine. Too much drugs being brought in via drone, after a few were caught it has slowed down a lot. I have had a lot of people approach me while flying, some telling me it is illegal, to which I politely ask what law they are quoting, that normally shuts them up. Then they will say it is a city ordnance, I ask which one, again they are stumped, because there isn't one. One guy swore it was illegal and he was calling the cops, I said fine, be prepared to look stupid. (I am a reserve Officer). Most people are just curious and want to look at it, the others, well, there is a way to handle them also short of violence.*********** Well HELLO, just got the email that my Fly More order has shipped ordered 10/5, awesome!!

d

I have also learned that when confronted with a hostile observer, the best thing to do is immediately land, and pack your stuff up and go. I love the mavic, because most of the time, and ignorant hostile person more than likely will not even notice you. When I had my phantom, I'd have people approach me before I even got it up in the air. Setup time takes twice the amount of time with a phantom.
I agree, while flying with Inspire over the last 2 years I learnt early that avoiding low level and generally the public are the easier options than having the argument with an enraged parent about privacy etc. On the flip side with the people interested in the drone I will advise them I can't fly within 50m so would be happy to show them is they agreed. I even have a PDF on ipad to sign giving consent.

If that was in California he is lucky, Correctional Officers have the right to shoot down any RC A/C approaching the prison perimeter, and you would have to mortgage your house to pay the fine. Too much drugs being brought in via drone, after a few were caught it has slowed down a lot. I have had a lot of people approach me while flying, some telling me it is illegal, to which I politely ask what law they are quoting, that normally shuts them up. Then they will say it is a city ordnance, I ask which one, again they are stumped, because there isn't one. One guy swore it was illegal and he was calling the cops, I said fine, be prepared to look stupid. (I am a reserve Officer). Most people are just curious and want to look at it, the others, well, there is a way to handle them also short of violence.*********** Well HELLO, just got the email that my Fly More order has shipped ordered 10/5, awesome!!
Huge press coverage in UK with the whole drone and prison angle at the moment. Don't think they'll be attacking them just yet with the .50 cal but maybe a little netting popping up over the prisons near you.

Wow, talk about overreacting.

Millions of people have been using drones for years now. No one has EVER been seriously injured, let alone killed, by these things.

If drones were truly a threat to anyone, then we would know it by now.

You guys act like hundreds of lives are at stake here.

How about you all get some perspective and mind your own business?

What a dumb thread. I expect better on a drone forum.

Last edited:
'Hands up' who has a license?

Reactions: The Editor
'Hands up' who has a license?
Ummm... Meeeee :p

You will find that none of these comments like 'Get a life' or 'Mind your own business' or 'Its never going to hurt anyone' etc etc are made by anybody who has been through formal RPAS training, ground-schooling or holds a PPL or Military pilots license - strange that eh?

Millions of people have been using drones for years now. No one has EVER been seriously injured, let alone killed, by these things.

What a stupid thread. I expect better on a drone forum.
^^^^^^^^^
THIS!!

Somebody had to say it

Get over yourselves people, these plastic toys really are just TOYS o_O

What a stupid thread. I expect better on a drone forum.
I'm no expert on collisions, but I don't buy the fact that a little toy like the mavic could bring any plane down.

You will find that none of these comments like 'Get a life' or 'Mind your own business' or 'Its never going to hurt anyone' etc etc are made by anybody who has been through formal RPAS training, ground-schooling or holds a PPL or Military pilots license - strange that eh?
this is a discussion that happens a lot on here. Those of you with RPAS training are obviously more clued up on the dangers, but most of the rest of us are not stupid either.

The reason why I have (for now) decided to not do RPAS is that a) i have no need to, and b) I find the rules (and rule police) completely out of step with the technology. An Inspire or Spreadwings is clearly more dangerous than a Mavic. But the rules are the same for both. It needs to change, and I believe it will.

For now I'm content to play safely as part of the 'uneducated, but intelligent' masses, rather than being restricted by licensing that doesn't really work. As an 'amateur' i still have that choice.

I know that won't be a popular opinion amongst the professionals, but this is the mavic forum, not the inspire forum.

For now I'm content to play safely as part of the 'uneducated, but intelligent' masses, rather than being restricted by licensing that doesn't really work. As an 'amateur' i still have that choice.

I know that won't be a popular opinion amongst the professionals, but this is the mavic forum, not the inspire forum.

Well said
As a pure hobbyist, I have no interest in all the "professional" input and commentary that seems to overwhelm these forums. Simply stated, camera quadcopters are a toy for me but they are a revenue producing TOOL for businesses.

Maybe the owners should start a "DJI BUSINESS" forum

Reactions: OCsurfer411
In response to my question, I do not have a license either but have followed the CAA/EASA guidelines since I purchased an Inspire 2 years ago. I also know that currently they are discussing categories of drones and without a license you will have to fly a drone less than 250g, a maximum speed of less than 54km/h, that will remain within a 100m of the pilot and no more than 50m in height.

So you tell me, do you think you'll need a license soon?

On a side note, I find it very funny people think these things are not dangerous and a toy, I would welcome anyone to try catching a 1kg Mavic falling from 100m high or even taking one to the body at full speed...

The title of this thread is to educate not to create a division, currently the legal authorities around the world are discussing our hobby or our 'toys'. If you don't care keep flying but don't be surprised when you have lost the rights to do so. If you do care educate someone and help.

Being able to film our beautiful planet is amazing but remember you are responsible for the future.

Peace out....

I'll be at the front of the queue to take a test or get a license. I have done it for power boating (not required by law), sailing (same). These are both hobbies where you can really do damage but there is no regulation as such. What they have in common though is an organising body (RYA) that regulates with a sensible set of recommendations that most people can get behind, and consequently most people have huge respect for them.

But currently the drone license tests are not at all appropriate for a hobby user. When they change I'll book right in.

I'll be at the front of the queue to take a test or get a license. I have done it for power boating (not required by law), sailing (same). These are both hobbies where you can really do damage but there is no regulation as such. What they have in common though is an organising body (RYA) that regulates with a sensible set of recommendations that most people can get behind, and consequently most people have huge respect for them.

But currently the drone license tests are not at all appropriate for a hobby user. When they change I'll book right in.
Believe me I'd rather spend 2 grand on something other than a license but it seems likely to fly in the UK soon. Sticking to the 'Drone Safe' guidelines is all we can do. But the 'boy racer' droners will bring it all crashing down on us....

I think it's inevitable thought so bitching and moaning really won't matter now, more NFZ are creeping up and getting bigger and bigger... :(:(:(:(

I'm currently studying for my UAQ, pre-cursor to my PFCO. The amount of 'stuff' I'm learning, from aviation charts to meteorology, is incredible. I want to make money from my 'hobby' and the only (legal) way to do that is to get your licence - which is costing me £1,500. So I do get annoyed when I see idiots posting their latest escapade of flying dangerously over crowds / highways / city centres and potentially get us ALL banned from any type of flying. As for saying they couldn't bring down a plane - well I wouldn't want to be on one that sucked an Inspire / Phantom into the engine on take off. The LiPos ain't going to react well to that..

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: The Editor
That's the thing tho. 2k is appropriate for someone planning to charge £500 + per day for professional services. But it's not for casual users. The law will change, as the industry won't wear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idea [emoji362], since it seems there haven't been many instances of drones falling out of the sky and hurting people how about people stop posting videos showing disregard for safety... No need to argue.

Sent from my LG-H918 using MavicPilots mobile app

As for saying they couldn't bring down a plane - well I wouldn't want to be on one that sucked an Inspire / Phantom into the engine on take off. The LiPos ain't going to react well to that..]

Exactly, we're taking about mavics. I believe there's a difference which the law didn't have a correct response to.

This test, in my view, kills all the fun and enjoyment in drones as a hobby. It works for professional environments, but are you going to stop doing a little hovering in your back garden because you are only 45m from your neighbours house, and your mavic might take off and fly into their upstairs window?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OCsurfer411
Hehe the Mavic is small but not small enough to pass through a jet engine without causing chaos...

I spoke with someone yesterday at a conference about drones, she said and I quote 'my neighbour is annoying with his drone'. She had asked him not to fly it. I alerted her to the rules so I guess he'll be getting told off.

If that makes me a 'grass' for explaining so be it but I was trying to let her know we are not all idiots.

This discussion is an important one and I'm glad it has remained civil thus far but I think we all have to keep this in mind... While "safety" is indeed universal, laws and regulations are not. I think it's important we keep in mind there are a lot of countries and legal systems represented here. My comments and opinions are that as a citizen of the United States. I am governed by Federal Law, the laws of my state (Nevada), Clark County along with various municipalities. While I appreciate and respect other countries and their legal cultures, from the standpoint of my hobby, I really only care about my legal culture. Coming from that perspective, I view this issue (government regulation of my hobby) as that of an American. I'm always concerned by intrusions into my rights of privacy, association, private property, constitutional rights etc etc. Simply stated, in the United States the government's power is limited and I for one want to keep it that way. Freedom requires vigilance.

Suggestion to moderators: It might be helpful to create some country specific sub-forums to discuss the legalities of our hobby. Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972