DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Data carriers compatible with the Tripltek tablet?

Burk

Reactions
So far, ATT, Verizon and Sprint will not allow my Tripltek tablet on their networks after checking the IMEI number. Is there anyone that has a data only plan they are using for this tablet and from what carrier. Thanks!

I ran into the same issue trying to activate an unlocked US Asus Verizon tablet I purchased on ebay here in Canada. Once they read the IMEI and it's not in their network's database it's no go. I ended up using a Mexican Telcel pay and talk card, with a 6GB data plan.

Reactions: Burk
So far, ATT, Verizon and Sprint will not allow my Tripltek tablet on their networks after checking the IMEI number. Is there anyone that has a data only plan they are using for this tablet and from what carrier. Thanks!
Do you really need mobile phone data anyway?
If you do it's a simple matter to hotspot from your phone.

I use the tablet for field work, too. A data plan is necessary.
Have you tried a sim from the budget carriers like Cricket, Net10 and such. You don't have to tell them what phone just put the card in and off you go. You can go to websites and see what carriers use what and then confirm that the tablet is capable on which channels of 4G and such. :) I use a AT&T Phone on Cricket for instance which uses their towers for much cheaper than going with AT&T proper contract.

But as mentioned Hot Spotting is going to be much cheaper option than having two services. If you have a Phone with limited data, it's a no brainer unless they limit the Hot Spot (Which most do :p) But ways around that as well ;)

Do you really need mobile phone data anyway?
If you do it's a simple matter to hotspot from your phone.
I correct my stance on hotspot use. I agree, it may be a better method than a separate data plan.

Reactions: Alky1229
Have you tried a sim from the budget carriers like Cricket, Net10 and such. You don't have to tell them what phone just put the card in and off you go. You can go to websites and see what carriers use what and then confirm that the tablet is capable on which channels of 4G and such. :) I use a AT&T Phone on Cricket for instance which uses their towers for much cheaper than going with AT&T proper contract.

But as mentioned Hot Spotting is going to be much cheaper option than having two services. If you have a Phone with limited data, it's a no brainer unless they limit the Hot Spot (Which most do :p) But ways around that as well ;)
Originally, I didn't like the idea of using a hotspot but, I found I have an unlimited plan so no issue, no brainer!!

As everyone else suggested, using your phone's hotspot is probably the cheapest solution. You can save on some cellular traffic by caching the maps ahead of time.

I'm kind of surprised that AT&T wouldn't sell a data-only SIM for it. I knew Verizon would be a non-starter. Verizon requires phone and tablet vendors to have their devices certified for Verizon's network. This is a non-trivial task and why you won't see many OEM tablets certified for Verizon.

If you do want a data plan, search for "IoT data sim". Don't tell them it's for a tablet, it's for a "drone control device" :)

Reactions: DoomMeister
T-Mobile typically doesn't care about your IMEI in my experience. They'll sell you a SIM for a new line and you just throw the SIM into whatever device you have.

Reactions: TRIPLTEK
You do have to look out for compatibility.
ATT, Verizon and Sprint traditionally uses CDMA which doesn't natively use a SIM.
Sprint is changing since it merged with T-MOBILE, the latter using SIM based GSM. The CDMA carriers are moving to SIM base if for no other reason than to be internationally compatible.

There's also the matter of frequency band that's compatible with the carrier.

Ask Tripletek ... they will tell you who supports it.. it’s not an issue in the U.K. .. your US carries and mobile phone tie ins are a joke tbh ... nobody else that I 8now of does that ....

ATT, Verizon and Sprint traditionally uses CDMA which doesn't natively use a SIM.
Sprint is changing since it merged with T-MOBILE, the latter using SIM based GSM. The CDMA carriers are moving to SIM base if for no other reason than to be internationally compatible.

Misinformation correction.

I have been on the same ATT service plan since the original iPhone. Currently an iPhone 12 Pro Max.
I do not now, nor have I ever had a SIM in my phone.
My service plan covers all of North America for no extra fees. My iPhone also natively works fine throughout Central America.

SIM cards are not required for iPhone function in or out of network.

I do not now, nor have I ever had a SIM in my phone.

SIM cards are not required for iPhone function in or out of network.
They are everywhere else in the world .... first time I have ever heard of US phones not having a SIM in them but then I never questioned it before ...

Only Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular were CDMA for 2G/3G. LTE is an international standard, as long as the device supports the LTE frequencies, they should work with a data SIM card from that carrier. Verizon makes it harder because they require devices to pass a certification test before being allowed on their network.

So far, ATT, Verizon and Sprint will not allow my Tripltek tablet on their networks after checking the IMEI number. Is there anyone that has a data only plan they are using for this tablet and from what carrier. Th
Sorry I arrive late to your question. The TRIPLTEK Tablet is LTE unlocked and it works like any other smartphone unlocked. It does not need a special contract for tablet, just a smartphone contract. So far we have customers reported they are using it with T-Mobile, ATT and Verizon. You can try to place your actual smartphone SIM card and it should work just fine.

Last edited:
Mint mobile. Data only plans. No problems.

There's a nice list of LTE bands and frequencies used by the major US carriers posted here on the PhoneArena site. While there is a lot of overlap with the frequencies carried, you do want to check your tablet for the bands supported when you look for a data-only SIM. For the @TRIPLTEK tablets, the LTE bands supported are listed on their technical specs page.

Reactions: TRIPLTEK
No SIM card, no calling functionality.

Pop open your SIM card tray. There will be a SIM card.
Not true for the AT&T compatible iPhone. There is not even a SIM card tray on my phone. This has been true since the original iPhone and I love it!

Reactions: rsmith
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead