DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Davinci Resolve 17 released!!!!

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I watched the video demonstration of the new features. There are so many I cannot even wrap my brain around them. I can see why Hollywood film people would use this program.

They've really added features to the Cut Page, Color Page, Fairlight, Fusion and Editing pages.... Wait... Did I just mention ALL the different pages???? Holy schnikes. Davinci Resolve 17 is still in beta, but is available now.

Just thought some folks would want to know.

I heard about that! Exciting stuff. I just hope it will still be free!

I heard about that! Exciting stuff. I just hope it will still be free!
Its still free unless you opt for the Studio version (which costs $300)

Link to Davinci Resolve 17 download

So far the basic is still free. In fact, they've added a collaboration feature to both free and paid versions! I'll post the read me file in .docx formate in a bit.

For those who already use Resolve and haven't watched the release video, I'll suggest that you do so. They do take time to present their consoles and new Cut Page Editor (hardware), but you can skip over them. For us editing mortals, I think the Cut Page has seen some real upgrades. I'd just begun to use it and found it sped up my initial work exponentially. Lots more features there. The color page has been pretty much redone and expanded. Hopefully Fusion will be easier to learn as I've found that to be the most daunting of them all. I can see that the Fairlight page is geared toward heavy-duty editors, but can see why as I got a look at their hardware editing console. Way over my head. I haven't done much in Fairlight beyond adjust volumes in single tracks.

I know I'll want to find tutorials by some of the known gurus to get a better idea of how to use these new tools.

This is an exciting update, but I know I, for one, will have to learn this in bite-sized pieces. They say old dogs can't learn new tricks... Maybe I can learn half a trick?

Reactions: Tufargon
And I’ll have to upgrade my Mac. MacOS SIERRA is the highest I can go to keep compatibility with Adobe CS6 and Lightroom 5. The highest Davinci Resolve version supported is 15. Darn!!

The audio consoles aren’t as intimidating as they seem. They’re mainly many, many single channels sitting side by side. Heck of a job to dust!

I have the Studio version of 17 now and I can say the HDR wheels are a game changer for drone shots. Unfreaking believable. I am just getting into but already was able to get a clip I was struggling with in Resolve 16 graded in like 30 seconds how I wanted with the HDR wheels.

Its hard to get me excited but this is the best thing they could have added

I have the Studio version of 17 now and I can say the HDR wheels are a game changer for drone shots. Unfreaking believable. I am just getting into but already was able to get a clip I was struggling with in Resolve 16 graded in like 30 seconds how I wanted with the HDR wheels.

Cant wait to try it out! Sounds awesome!

Reactions: Drumsagard

I haven't shot any new footage in the past week or two, but that HDR could be a savior for some shots.

I've been thinking about upgrading to the Studio version, but am not sure exactly what additional features I'd get that I'd want or need. I hadn't owned a drone until late June nor edited a video before the 1st of July and now it's like I'm in with both feet with video and the drone thing. With something as good as Davinci 16 it was hard to imagine what they could possibly do in 17... and then there is this!

When I open up the programs drop down and go to Blackmagic Design it has a several items that weren't there before; panels. The RAW panel, then the RAW speedtest, Davinci Control Panels, Davinci Resolve Project Server, Fairlight Panel, Fairlight Utility. I think I named them all. I have no idea what they are yet or how they function. What I liked was the titling macros in Fusion. I don't know if they're available for the free version, but they look like they could make life a lot easier for someone who hasn't tackled creating in Fusion.

I've been thinking about upgrading to the Studio version, but am not sure exactly what additional features I'd get that I'd want or need. I hadn't owned a drone until late June nor edited a video before the 1st of July and now it's like I'm in with both feet with video and the drone thing. With something as good as Davinci 16 it was hard to imagine what they could possibly do in 17... and then there is this!
If you are both feet in then you should get the Studio version. All of the OpenFX effects are part of the Studio version and some things as simple as lens corrections.

They are saying that for a limited time if you buy the studio version you get that new Bluetooth cut console free if there wasn’t already enough reason to get it. I talked to B&H photo and they said they don’t have that promo up on their site yet but they are working on it.

Note that buying the Studio version is a pain in the ash. Blackmagic does not sell it directly to customers so you have to buy it from a third party retailer. Typically they sent you a card in the mail but some places will email you your license number directly. It’s not like you just hand over your credit card number and presto

Buying the Studio version is a lifetime subscription so because I already have the studio version license I did not need to repurchase the software when the new version came out. $299 for lifetime updates is a steal especially if you get that console thing

When I open up the programs drop down and go to Blackmagic Design it has a several items that weren't there before; panels. The RAW panel, then the RAW speedtest, Davinci Control Panels, Davinci Resolve Project Server, Fairlight Panel, Fairlight Utility

When I open up the programs drop down and go to Blackmagic Design it has a several items that weren't there before; panels. The RAW panel, then the RAW speedtest, Davinci Control Panels, Davinci Resolve Project Server, Fairlight Panel, Fairlight Utility. I think I named them all. I have no idea what they are yet or how they function.
The RAW player is if you have a camera that shoots Blackmagic RAW then you can use that program to quickly view your footage which otherwise you would have to open in Resolve just to see what you got.

RAW Speedtest is just a benchmark test for your computer that uses the number of frames per second of blackmagic RAW your computer can handle. If wanted a objective test to compare how well two computers will compare in terms of how well they will handle resolve then that’s your ticket. If you have multiple GPUs you also might also use it to make sure your GPUs are actually being utilized by resolve. In some cases using more than one GPU can actually be worse than 1.

Control panels is used to set up one of those hardware control panels.

The project server is just the database that stores your project files. If you worked at a movie studio they might set the project server up on an actual server so that multiple people could access project simultaneously and remotely.

Fairlight panel is just for setting up hardware panels for Fairlight (the audio editor)

Not exactly sure what Fairlight utility does but I am sure like the other things on your list you will be just fine without ever using it.

There’s also the Blackmagic Disk Speedtest which is the best of the bunch. Tests the read and write speed of your hard drives under different loads. I was able to use it to determine that an external SSD I purchased was defective. I might not have known otherwise and could have lost everything on it.

If you are both feet in then you should get the Studio version. All of the OpenFX effects are part of the Studio version and some things as simple as lens corrections.

They are saying that for a limited time if you buy the studio version you get that new Bluetooth cut console free if there wasn’t already enough reason to get it. I talked to B&H photo and they said they don’t have that promo up on their site yet but they are working on it.

Note that buying the Studio version is a pain in the ash. Blackmagic does not sell it directly to customers so you have to buy it from a third party retailer. Typically they sent you a card in the mail but some places will email you your license number directly. It’s not like you just hand over your credit card number and presto

Buying the Studio version is a lifetime subscription so because I already have the studio version license I did not need to repurchase the software when the new version came out. $299 for lifetime updates is a steal especially if you get that console thing
I didn't see or hear about the console free with the Studio version. You said "cut console" but I didn't see anything called that. Do you mean the one in the photo below? Can you provide information about that promo? I will be all over it. TIA

1604987548425.png

I didn't see or hear about the console free with the Studio version. You said "cut console" but I didn't see anything called that. Do you mean the one in the photo below? Can you provide information about that promo? I will be all over it. TIA

View attachment 116905
Yea that’s it sorry. It’s the console for the cut page.

This is just one of many articles to mention it. B&H Photo were aware of the promotion when I asked.

It almost makes more sense logically if they were to have said that if you buy the speed editor you get Resolve Studio for free since they are the same price. The Studio version comes with all their cameras already.

I watched the video demonstration of the new features. There are so many I cannot even wrap my brain around them. I can see why Hollywood film people would use this program.

They've really added features to the Cut Page, Color Page, Fairlight, Fusion and Editing pages.... Wait... Did I just mention ALL the different pages???? Holy schnikes. Davinci Resolve 17 is still in beta, but is available now.

Just thought some folks would want to know.
Ahhh...Another Chris Farley fan out there!
I've been using the 'free' version of DaVinci Resolve 16...Confusing at first, but I'm starting to understand how to edit with it now.
Fortunately there are Youtube videos explaining some of the basic features if we take the time to watch the 40 minute demonstration.

Awesome news, today I am dedicating on doing some tutorials and reading through the manuals but have not used it yet so will be able to start fresh with v17. :)

Ahhh...Another Chris Farley fan out there!
I've been using the 'free' version of DaVinci Resolve 16...Confusing at first, but I'm starting to understand how to edit with it now.
Fortunately there are Youtube videos explaining some of the basic features if we take the time to watch the 40 minute demonstration.
Chris Farley... He was a funny dude. You know, sometimes when you set up an account for one thing or another they ask you "security questions", and one of the questions might be "Who is your favorite singer?". My answer? Adam Sandler :) [but if I had to answer today it would probably be Ksenia Buzina]. You a guitar player (too)?

In the past, I was told the processing engine was dumbed down in the free version. Anyone know if that's still the case? Granted, I have an older iMac, but I couldn't work on anything, with the free version, without constant stuttering and delay. Had to stick with Final Cut.

In the past, I was told the processing engine was dumbed down in the free version. Anyone know if that's still the case? Granted, I have an older iMac, but I couldn't work on anything, with the free version, without constant stuttering and delay. Had to stick with Final Cut.

Not true. Just the kind of rumour spread by Adobe to put down a competitor who can afford to sell a commodity product at a reasonable price - or free to attract more customers. Avid did the same thing. You can no longer charge the previous high prices now video editors are ubiquitous. Adobe realised that (as well as their easy to crack license ‘security’) so went down the subscription route.

Reactions: Topo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan