DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Davinci Resolve 17 released!!!!

Not true. Just the kind of rumour spread by Adobe to put down a competitor who can afford to sell a commodity product at a reasonable price - or free to attract more customers. Avid did the same thing. You can no longer charge the previous high prices now video editors are ubiquitous. Adobe realised that (as well as their easy to crack license ‘security’) so went down the subscription route.
That's good to know. Yeah...Adobe puts their products out of reach for the common user.

Chris Farley... He was a funny dude. You know, sometimes when you set up an account for one thing or another they ask you "security questions", and one of the questions might be "Who is your favorite singer?". My answer? Adam Sandler :) [but if I had to answer today it would probably be Ksenia Buzina]. You a guitar player (too)?
Guitar is my first 'love' actually...I'm not very good at it yet but keep working to improve my skills, just like shooting drone videos and editing them...
If you saw my first lame attempt at putting a video together you probably heard the song 'Sleepwalk' which I added to my video....I recorded that a couple years ago on a Mexican Stratocaster. I've probably forgotten how to play it now. I should re-learn it again....
I don't have a favorite singer, or a favorite song, for that matter. I like country, blues, and rock and come from the 60's era. I do learn a few more contemporary songs too.
Ksenia Buzina.....Quite a looker...with a voice too.....Prettier than Adam Sandler for sure!

Note that buying the Studio version is a pain in the ash. Blackmagic does not sell it directly to customers so you have to buy it from a third party retailer. Typically they sent you a card in the mail but some places will email you your license number directly. It’s not like you just hand over your credit card number and presto

I bought online and got the license in about 15 minutes. A bit unorthodox, but it did work as expected and was FAR better than waiting for something to be mailed (LOL!). Buy it here: Core Microsystems is an authorized dealer for AJA, Blackmagic Design, NewTek, Panasonic, Datavideo and more

RAW Speedtest is just a benchmark test for your computer that uses the number of frames per second of blackmagic RAW your computer can handle. If wanted a objective test to compare how well two computers will compare in terms of how well they will handle resolve then that’s your ticket. If you have multiple GPUs you also might also use it to make sure your GPUs are actually being utilized by resolve. In some cases using more than one GPU can actually be worse than 1.
There’s also the Blackmagic Disk Speedtest which is the best of the bunch. Tests the read and write speed of your hard drives under different loads. I was able to use it to determine that an external SSD I purchased was defective. I might not have known otherwise and could have lost everything on it.

Just out of curiosity what were your numbers? I'm only running this on one PC, but it'd be nice to know I'm getting reasonable performance (it runs fine though, so I've no complaints, but I JUST bought it so not really sure what "normal" is).

Reactions: brett8883
... Adobe realised that (as well as their easy to crack license ‘security’) so went down the subscription route.
And ticked off a bunch of their customer base in the process. Photoshop, IMO, is their one bastion of superiority (for the moment). I'm not sure that there is any software out there that can truly compete and so they reign supreme in that area. But Blackmagic Design has come at the marketing from a completely different angle; developing the software to go with their incredible hardware. I'm not sure how it came about, but it seems that Davinci Resolve came through the back door and seems to attract an extreme gammut of users, from true professionals to absolute newbies (like me). The free version of Davinci Resolve got me started and hooked, and making projects that I hadn't even considered being able to do only 4 months ago. I'm now going to invest in their $300 Studio upgrade.

Its not that I begrudge Adobe revenue, and it's not that I, as a capitalist, can fault them for wanting to go to a software rental scheme (calling it what it is, folks) because they feel that that avenue is the right thing for them. Where Adobe made me an enemy is when they removed any means of activating legacy (Photoshop) software that is still fully functional through Windows 10. And I'll tell you what, there are a competitors out there who have already bested Lightroom, save for a few small features. IMO when you have competition like Davinci Resolve, the only reason for people to continue with Premier is familiarity. JMO [Sorry for the rant]

Reactions: nhgill960
V17 didn't work for me, was giving me the "Resolve.exe - Entry Point Not Found" with the api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll and after was able to fixed that I got a new one which was like this: "resolve.exe cfgmgr32.dll", this one I was not able to fix. I was able to go back to 16 and now everything is working okay. I think my problem is that I am still running Windows 7, SP1, and maybe this new version is not compatible. One of these days will upgrade to new CPU and Win10.

My specs:

Intel i7-3960X @ 3.30GHz
RAM 64GB (I know, overkill)
Card: GTX980

I bought online and got the license in about 15 minutes. A bit unorthodox, but it did work as expected and was FAR better than waiting for something to be mailed (LOL!). Buy it here: Core Microsystems is an authorized dealer for AJA, Blackmagic Design, NewTek, Panasonic, Datavideo and more

Just out of curiosity what were your numbers? I'm only running this on one PC, but it'd be nice to know I'm getting reasonable performance (it runs fine though, so I've no complaints, but I JUST bought it so not really sure what "normal" is).
Well I bought a WD Passport 1TB and a Samsung T7 1 TB.

The Samsung is suppose to be one of the faster portable SSDs but when I tested it the write speeds were like 300 Mbps. The WD Passport was reading and writing at 1000 Mbps as was an old Samsung T5 I have.

All these tests were done with Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 3 connections. My internal SSD reads and writes at almost 3000 Mbps so I know that isn’t a bottleneck. Your speed will depend on the connector you use and how fast your internal SSD can read the files to transfer.

Clearly the Samsung T7 wasn’t working properly as it was gassed by the other models and even an older supposedly slower Samsung. When I searched to see if other people were having the same issue with them they were and so something is wrong with that series from Samsung.

In the past, I was told the processing engine was dumbed down in the free version. Anyone know if that's still the case? Granted, I have an older iMac, but I couldn't work on anything, with the free version, without constant stuttering and delay. Had to stick with Final Cut.
On Windows hardware decoding for h. 264 and h.265 is disabled but on Mac it’s not.

There are certain high level performance things that Studio enables like network rendering but this doesn’t matter for us average Joe’s.

Resolve uses GPU primarily so if you don’t have a discrete CPU it will probably struggle. Resolve ran poorly on my old 2015 Mac even though Final Cut Pro wasn’t half bad but on my 2019 Mac Resolve runs faster than even FCP.

On Windows hardware decoding for h. 264 and h.265 is disabled but on Mac it’s not.

There are certain high level performance things that Studio enables like network rendering but this doesn’t matter for us average Joe’s.

Resolve uses GPU primarily so if you don’t have a discrete CPU it will probably struggle. Resolve ran poorly on my old 2015 Mac even though Final Cut Pro wasn’t half bad but on my 2019 Mac Resolve runs faster than even FCP.

Out of interest what due you have you encode/decode settings set for in the System config in Resolve?

I’m still running a mid 2012 MacBook Pro and CUDA is not supported for the NVidia GeForce GPU but works fine for Metal, which isn’t supposed to be supported. NVidia and Apple had a big ‘tiff’ and Apple have refused to sign the CUDA drivers.

Reactions: 615Images
Out of interest what due you have you encode/decode settings set for in the System config in Resolve?

I’m still running a mid 2012 MacBook Pro and CUDA is not supported for the NVidia GeForce GPU but works fine for Metal, which isn’t supposed to be supported. NVidia and Apple had a big ‘tiff’ and Apple have refused to sign the CUDA drivers.
This?
BBBB9BE6-F999-4C14-9A42-51821D918358.jpeg

This is on my 2019 16” MacBook Pro on 8k BRAW 12:1 compression.
5321C2E7-D403-49D2-BC8C-E691F90E63A9.jpeg
Keep in mind that BRAW is sort of halfway between RAW something like ProRes. It’s somewhat compressed though it’s not nearly as compressed as h.264 or h.265 and it isn’t totally RAW either because some processing is done in camera and doesn’t have to be fully debayered by the computer so it could be easier on your system than say h.265 or h.264.

View attachment 116956
Keep in mind that BRAW is sort of halfway between RAW something like ProRes. It’s somewhat compressed though it’s not nearly as compressed as h.264 or h.265 and it isn’t totally RAW either because some processing is done in camera and doesn’t have to be fully debayered by the computer so it could be easier on your system than say h.265 or h.264.

Got it, thanks. I ran it on mine and had similar results, so I guess the default DR install didn't require much tweaking. It's a new PC I built just for this purpose - I'm surprised I have ANY red X's.

Disk R/W's are 5000/4200 Mbps, so no slowdowns there.

Now if I could just learn to use the software, I'd be set :confused: I've been using Pinnacle Studio forever and decided to switch horses with the new build.

1605051915187.png

Got it, thanks. I ran it on mine and had similar results, so I guess the default DR install didn't require much tweaking. It's a new PC I built just for this purpose - I'm surprised I have ANY red X's.

Disk R/W's are 5000/4200 Mbps, so no slowdowns there.

Now if I could just learn to use the software, I'd be set :confused: I've been using Pinnacle Studio forever and decided to switch horses with the new build.

View attachment 116959
You don’t really have any red x’s because it’s saying your GPU can handle any of the formats. This is all really just for comparison purposes anyway plus in some ways it doesn’t make sense. If you look at mine why does it say it can handle some higher frame rates but not lower ones? Gotta take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: passedpawn
You don’t really have any red x’s because it’s saying your GPU can handle any of the formats. This is all really just for comparison purposes anyway plus in some ways it doesn’t make sense. If you look at mine why does it say it can handle some higher frame rates but not lower ones? Gotta take it with a grain of salt.
Ah right, you only need one of them (CPU or GPU) to be capable. Duh, didn't occur to me. Thanks. And, this BRAW, I'm not sure I'll ever use that format, so it's not really relevant to what I'm doing (which is editing h.264). However, one day soon I hope to be exporting the new h.266, which will require lots of horsepower to do in a timely manner. (Probably need a new GPU with the hardware for it though, ugh)

I'M IN
View attachment 116956
I don't know what any of that means yet but I did order Davinci Studio today. I should have the activation card by Monday and the Speed Editor will come when they have it in stock. Thanks for the head-up on that.

I did have one minor glitch with 17 today. I got a last minute call to edit some video for a demonstration. It required some color grading for two "scenes" that alternated back and forth. I didn't have that much trouble getting everything sort of how I wanted it. I grabbed stills of both scenes and put them in the memory banks. But when I went to apply grade the preview window, after a time, but not at first, had this odd split-screen look that wasn't a before/after split. It was a failure to preview the whole window. I closed the program and reopened it and it seems to no longer have the issue. I took a chance on continuing through the edit as the correct grading was evident in the edit page.

The one thing that gave me pause was where some stuff is is in different places on 17. A few times it was like an Easter Egg hunt.

I'M IN

I don't know what any of that means yet but I did order Davinci Studio today. I should have the activation card by Monday and the Speed Editor will come when they have it in stock. Thanks for the head-up on that.

I did have one minor glitch with 17 today. I got a last minute call to edit some video for a demonstration. It required some color grading for two "scenes" that alternated back and forth. I didn't have that much trouble getting everything sort of how I wanted it. I grabbed stills of both scenes and put them in the memory banks. But when I went to apply grade the preview window, after a time, but not at first, had this odd split-screen look that wasn't a before/after split. It was a failure to preview the whole window. I closed the program and reopened it and it seems to no longer have the issue. I took a chance on continuing through the edit as the correct grading was evident in the edit page.

The one thing that gave me pause was where some stuff is is in different places on 17. A few times it was like an Easter Egg hunt.
Yea moving things around has messed me up a couple times too but where they moved things too is much more logical now it’s just hard to teach an old dog nes tricks.

Yea moving things around has messed me up a couple times too but where they moved things too is much more logical now it’s just hard to teach an old dog nes tricks.
This old dog is usually only good for half a trick. Did I thank you for letting me know about that Blackmagic Design promo? B&H made a lot of money off of me this week. Mini 2 scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! I love their Payboo card that cancels tax. The thing saved me $66 in tax on the Mini2 and $18 on the tax on Studio. We get so ripped off here... with so little to show for the gouging.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato