DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

is there any chance to find the drone only by the black box data from RC ?

• yes, you have the state of art technology in your hands

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • no, buy a new unit

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

phanuliak

Reactions
Hello Mavic users,

today after my samsung S7 died during the flight, I hit the RTH button, but subsequently got into the critical battery landing. The drone got lost.

All I have is some logs in the phone (but not usable, since the last flight is not stored) and also a black box data from transmitter. Is there any way how to find out the GPS coordinates of the landing site? , since mavic was connected to the last moments of touchdown (hit the trees some 1,6 km away from me)

Would help me a lot to narrow the place where is can be located.

Thank you a lot in advance !

Learn from your mistakes before getting a new one. Critical battery, 1.6km away. You would have cancelled auto RTH when it first initiated or changed battery settings. By default the smart RTH would've been triggered and your drone returned to home by around 30% battery.

Reactions: Kilrah
Learn from your mistakes before getting a new one. Critical battery, 1.6km away. You would have cancelled auto RTH when it first initiated or changed battery settings. By default the smart RTH would've been triggered and your drone returned to home by around 30% battery.
your right ! ...all of us have to learn from our mistakes. I should replace that faulty Samsung sooner. The last reading from the battery was a 10+ min flight time, what was more than enough to go home. Not even RTH notice came up on the display when it was on. I blame the colder morning to shorten the battery life in this time.

The last reading from the battery was a 10+ min flight time, what was more than enough to go home. Not even RTH notice came up on the display when it was on.
Note these do not factor wind, so can be far off reality.

Drone found! Maybe someone will face the same situation as me, so here are my steps I followed. I tried to decode fatal.log ...as a black box data from RC, but that is beyond our skills...so

1. from GO app I stored last known position (find my drone)
2. I read the height/distance parameters on RC until it was disconnected (in open space, the drone>RC connection is allways rock solid)
3. brought GPS coordinates to the map, made a line between homepoint and last known position, made a circle with radius of last known distance
4. the drone was found within 20 m from the instersection of line and the circle....googlemaps are pretty precise

I took my lesson...always chceck all of the components. And it is better to use a smartphone dedicated just for drone flying. So no background apps will drain your battery to the sad end.

good luck pilots ! and thank you for reading ;)

Reactions: lolo780
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura