DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Density Altitude limitations ?

PastyBoy

Reactions
Dear All,

I was hoping someone here may be able to help, I have been doing some reading but cannot get a definitive answer on this and thought some personal experience in here may help.

I am in a couple of weeks traveling to Nepal and going to trek the Annapurna Circuit which at its highest point crosses a path at 17,000 feet / 5400M.

At what Altitude / Density Altitude has anyone seen as a max service ceiling for the Mavic? I have seen some great videos in here from the French Alps, and I have flown mine in California as high as 10,000 feet, but was curious if anyone here has high altitude experience and advice?

Thanks in advance,

Fraser

Reactions: Former Member
Good question. I think the inspire has high altitude props available. I forget what the limit but IIRC it was 14,000' and then you needed the high altitude props. Im sure its on the DJI website. Hard to say if the mavic will fly above 17,000'.

Reactions: PastyBoy
The maximum service ceiling is 6000m above sea level, which is over 19,000 feet so you should be okay. Your performance and battery life will be degraded however. The air density will be different.

The maximum service ceiling is 6000m above sea level, which is over 19,000 feet so you should be okay. Your performance and battery life will be degraded however. The air density will be different.
Thanks so much for the reply, yes I do not think I will be over 6000m, the air density will certainly have the blades and the battery working harder for sure. Also a concern is the battery life in the cold.
Thanks again for your reply.
Cheers,
Fraser

Good question. I think the inspire has high altitude props available. I forget what the limit but IIRC it was 14,000' and then you needed the high altitude props. Im sure its on the DJI website. Hard to say if the mavic will fly above 17,000'.
Thanks for your reply, I had heard about the inspire high altitude props but did not find any for the Mavic. I think carrying the weight of an inspire would have limited myself being able to personally get to 17000 feet :)

Dear All,

Thanks for your help here a few months ago.

I am now back from what was an amazing trip to Nepal to trek the Annapurna Circuit.

I will add that despite carrying my Mavic, and three spare batteries to the thin air of the Thorung La Pass i was disappointed to learn you are not legally allowed to fly in the Annapurna region of Nepal and I was politely told by a guide to land as soon as safe to do so and best not fly again.

I decided to sneak in a cheeky flight the next day only to soon be approached by another guide (from out of nowhere!) whom I had never seen or met before and was asked again very politely "are you the guy who was flying in Chame yesterday? (a town I did fly the day before)". The trekking community of guides is a small and tightly knit one and they clearly communicated a lot with each other, they were I must say some of the most selfless group of people I have ever met in my life, and they were clearly concerned that if there were found to be knowledgeable of someone illegally flying a drone then they would be stripped of their government issued trekking guide permits and therefore their livelihood in what is one of the poorest places on the planet.

Looking back I believe there are ways to register with the Nepalese Government and the Annapurna region to obtain various permits to fly, but this is not a "rock up and get it with your trekking pass" type of deal. I was needless to say gutted to have missed some amazing scenes of the Himalayas on film with my drone, but fully respect the local community.

If anyone else is looking to make the trip there firstly I highly recommend it (pack as light as possible!) and then spend some time ahead of your trip perhaps looking to get official permits, the guides would be soon put at ease with a government stamped document so they know their jobs are safe.

Thanks to all those who posted earlier in this thread to help me!

Cheers,

Fras

IMG_0572.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: lolo780
A bit late to this thread but if you're flying at high altitude make sure to at least use the Platinum props which have much more pitch. Mavic 2 props will also fit on the front of the M1s.

Dear All,

I was hoping someone here may be able to help, I have been doing some reading but cannot get a definitive answer on this and thought some personal experience in here may help.

I am in a couple of weeks traveling to Nepal and going to trek the Annapurna Circuit which at its highest point crosses a path at 17,000 feet / 5400M.

At what Altitude / Density Altitude has anyone seen as a max service ceiling for the Mavic? I have seen some great videos in here from the French Alps, and I have flown mine in California as high as 10,000 feet, but was curious if anyone here has high altitude experience and advice?

Thanks in advance,

Fraser
DJI Website ... Mavic Pro – Specs, Videos, Downloads and FAQ
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level: 16,404 feet (5,000 metres)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots