DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dispelling some myths for clarity

There are two youtube channels that I follow that produce incredibly high quality videos from the Mavic (especially considering the sensors underlying limitations). If you dont really see the quality of their footage from the underlying videos posted below simply click on one of their other uploads.

Here is their respective videos on the best settings for video on the Mavic

Note:
Resolution: They both recommend 4k. (I saw a blog by a drone pilot for DJI who says that DJI itself recommends 2.7k because of the higher bitrate.)
Color profile: One recommends D-Log another D-Cinelike. (My view is that D-Log is very difficult to color grade (and it needs grading) given the low underlying bit rate. Obviously these guys are much more skilled than me but if you dont have their skills better not go in that direction.)
Style: One goes for -1,-1,-1 and another +1, -1, 0. Note that neither goes near the flattest style settings (so if you go for d-log with -3 contrast - good luck). The reason one guy goes for a +1 sharpness settings is carefully explained in another video.

Thanks, Collins!
I'm shooting for the GroundControl LUT for the MP, which is specifically made for -1, -3, -3. I grade all my shots using Davinci resolve, and also fly with polarizers or ND filters according to the weather. Will see if a +1 sharpness has any impact on the end result.

Thanks, Collins!
I'm shooting for the GroundControl LUT for the MP, which is specifically made for -1, -3, -3. I grade all my shots using Davinci resolve, and also fly with polarizers or ND filters according to the weather. Will see if a +1 sharpness has any impact on the end result.

You should note that in another one of his videos he notes that sometimes +1 sharpness 'oversharpens' and causes aliasing (moire) - what he does then is add noise reduction (neat image) to take the edge off. Essentially you can blur an oversharpened image but you cannot sharpen an over blurred image.

For what it is worth, I know those Ground Control LUTs are popular but I was keen to avoid -3 contrast. 'Icarus' has good LUTs for +1, -1, 0 settings in both D Cinelike and D-Log.

Reactions: Digitaldias
If compression works, then a compressed 4k image will have more image information in it than a less compressed 2.7k image. Yes, 10 is greater than 8. It's also true that much of that 10 bits is noise, and 8 bits has plenty of headroom for even drastic color adjustments.

Last edited:
To the OP it all depends on what your expecting.
Shooting 4k@30fps using the correct settings and filming within the cameras dynamic range has produced some pretty good video for me. No it's not as easy to do or as flexible as my Nikon DSLR but it's good enough.

Rob

D-Log is pointless on the Mavic for its original purpose, but it doesn't have anything to do with 8bit - heck the whole point of Log is precisely to cram extended dynamic range into a more limited space which is often 8bit - it's got to do with the camera's dynamic range that isn't wide enough in the first place to need much more than those 8 bits.
It's not there becasue it's useful, but so you can combine it more easily in a workflow that includes footage form other DJI sources. Shoot D-Log on all of them, throw the same profile onto all of them and you've got your starting point.

I like the shoot "TruColor" which lifts the shadows just as much as it's worth but not more.

Last edited:
If compression works, then a compressed 4k image will have more image information in it than a less compressed 2.7k image. Yes, 10 is greater than 8. It's also true that much of that 10 bits is mouse, and 8 bits has plenty of headroom for even drastic color adjustments.

One simple way of considering the Mavic compression algorithm is this:

A single frame raw file (DNG) from the Mavic is 23mb
A single frame jpeg from the Mavic is 5mb

A single from from 4k footage at 24fps is about 300kb (60 Mbits/sec/8 = 7.5mb/s /24fps = about 300kb

So the compression ratio is close to 80 times from the raw data.

Just had to add my 2 cents in hear who actually bought the MP for the camera I know I didn't I bought it for its portability with a camera that would do a reasonable job for me and found the camera is actually better than I expected yes it is no SLR if I wanted a good camera drone I would of got the Inspire instead
Remember this is just my 2 cents worth

Reactions: Budmancan
Uh... I hate to sound like the noob that I am... but... what's "dlog"???

Reactions: Wizan
OMG are you going to bring the Mavic 1080 performance to this argument?
Here i was hoping you actually knew wtf you were talking about but you absolutely blew that outa the water.
The 4K camera has its limitations due to over all size, sensor size and bitrate levels etc etc but to prance around and tell qualified owners about your seemingly flawed opinions is just a bit rich.
How about you wait until you actually use the Mavic before claiming to be the expert.
Lets not get into the 1 in 8 black frame and the software needed to remove it or the absolute need for ND filters.
You will learn all this first hand but it puzzles me to think you ordered the Mavic knowing all these issues you described.
Really hope you dont get one with a faulty camera hehe
It's not my opinion, it's the opinion of several professional videographers that I found while doing RESEARCH. Furthermore, I reviewed (on YouTube and downloading) several clips and made several comparisons, the only mode I saw that was half decent was the 2.7k mode, even that though was a very low bitrate and nothing looked acceptable when shooting slow-mo. Again, the bit rates are just too low and the way it processes the signal is too compromising to get a good enough image for professional work, that's why I've just cancelled my order, and took the advice of others in this thread and bought a better drone/camera combo. Now before you get your panties in a bunch try to realize that I'm not the one who manufactures or specs out the Mavic Pro, so if your upset about the shortcomings of its camera I suggest you bring it up with DJI. That said I think the Mavic Pro is the best flying machine I've seen in it's price range, but image quality is king in my business.

I'm simpleminded I suppose, but I look at it like this - the Mavic's portability and ability to quickly get into the air means that it is likely to capture many more spontaneously-interesting things than the P4 or Inspire sitting on the desk at home because you didn't feel like toting it.

It's like concealed-carry discussions: "Having that little .22 with you all the time because you can is likely to be more useful than the .44 you can't."

Reactions: Chun and Kilrah
Joined, bagged the MP before he even got it, first posts not even a hi there, made sure everyone here knew how awful the camera is and that we are up our selves.
Then cancels his order and goes off somewhere else to probably bag them.
Wonder why he even bothered, seems more like a troll than anything else.

I've done a lot of work with various types of cameras. I want to bring what I've learned to this thread. Disclosure, I have not used the mavic pro..though I do have one on order.
First I'd like to address dlog-
The mavic pro is an 8 bit camera, typically you need at least a 10bit signal with a 4.2.2 color profile to get usable results from color correction and grading. An 8 bit signal just falls apart when you push it in post, simply stated, there is not enough information to begin with. So far, I've not seen great results from using dlog on any 8bit footage.
I also read a thread where the user stated that one needed to shoot on a gray, or muted day in order to get good results. It is my opinion that nothing could be further from the truth. If the information isn't there to begin with, then you cannot adequately add it in later. The reason dlog footage looks washed out, is because the signal is "flattened" so you have latitude for creative expression, the information is all there, it is just waiting to be brought out per your preferences.
Re shooting 4K - my opinion is that 50mbps is just too little amount of data to get usable 4K footage, perhaps it will look okay on small displays or when scaled to 1080, but on its own, it will fall apart on a big screen at native resolution. The only real advantage I see would be the ability to crop, track and compose.
I'm not sure what "myths you've dispelled", or what you have "clarified", as your title suggests. Plenty of professional photographers and videographers have captured footage with the Mavic, edited and color corrected to a final product that look fantastic. If you have "not seen great results" or only seen footage "that falls apart", your opinion will stand opposed to these professionals. Not that we need the professional opinion because each person can decide on their own what looks good to them. If you're talking about measurable/physical parameters exclusively to determine quality, then virtually no digital platform will stand up to unfettered scrutiny.
If pro users will use Mavic footage in their work, and their opinion is that it is quite good, many of us may be disinclined to accept your opinion as nothing more than somewhat limited in scope and authority. I don't think anyone is butt hurt like you suggest, we're just curious....why make this post?

Yeah, I'm not buying it. I shoot in 4k dlog almost 100% of the time. The sensor is small, so it does not have the dynamic range of some of the high end cinema cameras, but then again, the RED Epic and the Blackmagic URSA can't fly!

The only limitation I run into with the Mavic is low-light situations. I avoid that if I can now that I know it can cause noise. I also edit all my footage on a 4k monitor now since it really shows any defects in the footage - which, in most cases, I've been able to correct in post.

To each his own, but I love the footage that comes from the Mavic.

Reactions: Lt Shanks
That said I think the Mavic Pro is the best flying machine I've seen in it's price range, but image quality is king in my business.
Yet you claimed to have ordered the inferior Mavic? Was that before or after you did your due diligence? So what would that make you ....... the queen?

From your initial post, I thought you were giving your review/opinion/clarification on a product that you have used or own. After reading the whole thread, you are telling us you do not own the product? Ah well

Why all the personal attacks on @JamesM ??? Disagree all you want, tell us why you think he's wrong, but lay off the ad hominems.

Reactions: Hauptmann
INow before you get your panties in a bunch try to realize that I'm not the one who manufactures or specs out the Mavic Pro, so if your upset about the shortcomings of its camera I suggest you bring it up with DJI. That said I think the Mavic Pro is the best flying machine I've seen in it's price range, but image quality is king in my business.

What a knuckle head. YOU'RE the one who... oh never mind. They'll love in whatever forum you slither into next.

Again, the bit rates are just too low and the way it processes the signal is too compromising to get a good enough image for professional work

My customers say otherwise.

You're not happy with it, it's not appropriate for you, fine enough, get over it and find something else. No need to bring your alledged leet credentials to try and convince us that it's not good for us either when we're perfectly happy with the compromise.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty