DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care Refresh. Is it for you???

Neary is $189 for one year. the only advantage is the cover water damage, however good luck retreiving your drone is it crashes into t a body f water. Note: Neary is basically a company out of a guys house in KY, Insurance like this is a calculated risk for the insurer. I know DJI will be around in a year you never know with a company like Neary where are damages cost them retail a flury of claims could potential put a 3rd party insurer out of business.

I lost my chroma 4k off the coast of key largo... in about 35 ft of water.. went back the next day with a free diver using the gps coords off of the transmitter of the last known position. Can you believe we found it right where it said? sitting in 35 ft of water right down there in the grass. She dove down and got it... trashed of course...

Looks like Neary uses this shop for repairs:
UAV Repair

They offer their own insurance which looks similar - I plan to find out what it costs. By luck they're about five minutes away from me.

Can't comment on Neary as we haven't heard any feedback from customers that have used it but without any hesitation can endorse UAV Repair Shop in MN. They're done a lot of work for us over the years, we send a lot of customers their way and Hani has always taken very good care of them. Hani is slowly transferring the business to an apprentice who is also very knowledgeable in drone repair.

I lost my chroma 4k off the coast of key largo... in about 35 ft of water.. went back the next day with a free diver using the gps coords off of the transmitter of the last known position. Can you believe we found it right where it said? sitting in 35 ft of water right down there in the grass. She dove down and got it... trashed of course...

That is the exception not the rule, for some paying the premium for water damage may be reasonable. however for $799 replacement cost it is not that big of a loss to warranty paying crazy high insurance cost. Look I would not pay $200-300 to insure my phone so I am not about to pay it for a drone. I wold pay the $100 for the Refresh though, thats just me

Check with your homeowners insurance company. Some will cover your drone for all losses with a reasonable cost. Mine has an add on policy that will not affect your homeowners premium if you have a claim.

Reactions: kmaluo
Check with your homeowners insurance company. Some will cover your drone for all losses with a reasonable cost. Mine has an add on policy that will not affect your homeowners premium if you have a claim.
I checked with State Farm and they will cover it 100% loss replacement for $60 a year. As I have SF for homeowners it is even less for a rider policy, but it needs to be an additional policy because my deductible on the homeowners is high,

Standalone policy with State Farm ended up $30/yr for me, no deductible. Quite a deal.

Generally I never buy the extra insurance for anything, how it not like a tv that just sits on a wall or other electronics that sit in your hand that you have absolute control over, this is off on its own subject to winds, birds, motor failure, solar flares (?), rock throwing construction workers, towel wielding sun bathers, and all kinds of other variables. Reaction time isn't probably going to be fast enough to get it to a safe place like my pocket. So I am glad for the insurance.

Using home owners insurance is likely CRIMINAL, it is not for damage it is not for fly always, if it flys away you cannot report it stolen which is what the insurance company would require. filing a false police report is illegal. It was reported on another thread that State farm classifies Drones as a aircraft and actually requires a completely different policy which is WAY more expensive. This is not a piece of electronics or an appliance which is what the above described policy is for.

My point is Homeowners insurance is not an option for in flight damage (as well no one covers fly aways)

Last edited:
Using home owners insurance is likely CRIMINAL, it is not for damage it is not for fly always, if it flys away you cannot report it stolen which is what the insurance company would require. filing a false police report is illegal. It was reported on another thread that State farm classifies Drones as a aircraft and actually requires a completely different policy which is WAY more expensive. This is not a piece of electronics or an appliance which is what the above described policy is for.

Nobody on here has suggested fraudulently reporting crashed or lost drones as stolen. Everyone can check the particulars of what their insurance company offers or covers for their drone. If somebody's homeowners policy covers the drone for loss or damage, it isn't CRIMINAL to use it.

Reactions: Vacation guy
No Homeowners covers drone damaged in flight or loss (fly away) there is another thread on this that also debunks the homeowner insurance option. My point is to claim a fly away would have to be claimed as theft which would be illegal.

No Homeowners covers drone damaged in flight or loss (fly away) there is another thread on this that also debunks the homeowner insurance option. My point is to claim a fly away would have to be claimed as theft which would be illegal.

How do you know what everyone's insurance company offers or covers? Did you personally call them all?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

My wife (and I) owned a insurance agency for 15 years there are several fundamentals that apply here. In addition there it has been reported that State Farm in particular said that they would not cover a drone from flight damage or liability. The so called $30-$60 adders is not what they think it is, it is not a repair or replacement coverage, nor is it a liability policy.

This has also been previously discussed in several other threads and forums with the same outcome. it is not a viable option

The State Farm policy I mentioned (and others) is a personal articles policy, not homeowner's insurance. It covers damage (water or otherwise), loss, theft. The underwriters confirmed with my agent it is fully valid for drones..no commercial use allowed though obviously. It is not a warranty, and is not liability insurance. Look elsewhere for those. And it sure isn't criminal...

This maybe a stupid question but is DJI refresh still valid if purchased after the drone was damaged? I went to the terms of service in the DJI site and it says nothing about it.

This maybe a stupid question but is DJI refresh still valid if purchased after the drone was damaged? I went to the terms of service in the DJI site and it says nothing about it.

As I recall I had to buy refresh within 48 hours of my purchase/registration of my new Mavic. The brochure about it was in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: VortexSpin
I registered just to update this discussion, apparently Care Refresh DOES cover water damage.

From FAQ on DJI Care Refresh page:

10. My aircraft crashed into water. Will replacement be covered under DJI Care Refresh?
Yes, water damaged products can be replaced under DJI Care Refresh.

Also, DJI support confirmed that Refresh is the best way to obtain a local warranty (if your Mavic has been purchased e.g. in China).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb