DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Faodave

Reactions
My Mavic decided to do a RTH crashed into a branch and consequently the concrete damaging it considerably. Mavic was 15m from controller and DJI confirmed it did a RTH because it lost contact with the controller. They are saying it was my fault as below:

Non warranty per data analysis; RTH crash FLY019 1. Unit took off with normal GPS signal, unit was responsive. 2. At t=320s, Unit initiated RTH due to lost signal of RC. 3. At t=328s, unit clipped tree as it tried to gain altitude to go into its set RTH height. Force impact date:5/30/2017 Force impact GPS location:10°44'14.9"N 61°36'48.6"W Conclusion: User was not familiar with RTH logic. Hazardous flight environment. No unit malfunction found. [Non warranty Repair]

How can they say "user was unfamiliar with RTH logic"???? I am very familiar with RTH logic and it would not have happened if the Mavic did not lose its connection with the controller at 45ft/10m distance!!!!!!!!

This is B.S. and they will not now respond to my emails at customer support. So they have my Mavic and are demanding I pay to have it fixed. Absolutely shocking customer support, I am disgusted.

DJI - if you are watching - case number is CAS-691301-W5R2L1 - do the right thing and at least follow up

Reactions: PROMOLOZO
Looking at the GPS location, it appears you were in a dense forest. Having your RTH set to ascend under a heavy tree canopy rather than hover seems to be the problem they have with the claim, but I'm just speculating.

Last edited:
Reactions: PROMOLOZO
Looking at the GPS location, it appears you were in a dense forest. Having your RTH set to ascend under a heavy tree canopy rather than hover seems to be the problem they have with the claim, but I'm just speculating.
It's a beautiful bamboo arch, but if the mavic didn't lose connection it wouldn't have triggered the rth

It's a beautiful bamboo arch, but if the mavic didn't lose connection it wouldn't have triggered the rth
True, and if you had your RTH set up correctly it wouldn't have crashed into a tree.

It's a moot point, but perhaps congested Wi-Fi signals, a microwave oven, a solar flare, having the antennas pointed the wrong direction. That is why the manual clearly states what the RTH will do under certain circumstances.

Sorry to break it to you, but you are at fault. Hopefully one or two others can save their bird by reading this. At least that way you didn't spend $1000 for nothing.

You and I are not going to see eye to eye on this one, It is my opinion that you are wrong. This happened on a nature trail, far from power lines, microwave ovens and wifi. Simple fact of the matter is that given they advertise and purport up to 7km range you would not expect it to lose connection at 15m - end of story.

Cusel is absolutely correct. Connection to the RC is not guaranteed, and is not required to fly the Mavic. That's why DJI provides the RTH settings. DJI also advertises 28 minute flight time. Do you count on getting all 28 minutes out of your battery. Flying under a tree canopy and knowingly having your RTH set to climb not hover is the reason you crashed. Conclusion - pilot error, loss of situational awareness, unfamiliarity with aircraft as contributing factor.

Reactions: ThisIsCusel and Rnl
Any number of things could have caused that.

Hi Cyber
I am interested in what things you and the others think might have caused a Loss of signal at a 50ft distance?

I can only think of three things.

1) The OP turned off the RC.

2) He flew straight towards a massive RF source.

3) He flew behind a steel wall.

Now if we had both the Log files we could eliminate the possibility of him turning off the RC. Not that I think that's likely at all given the 2 presses needed and we could also eliminate the massive RF source.

I kind of agree with the OP that something is kind of strange when you lose signal at 50ft.

The document by "ThisisCusel" is talking about deliberate RTH and low battery RTH. I do not see where DJI mentioned that in their assessment, they say it was a loss of signal RTH.

I am sympathetic to the OP because my Goggles lost signal once at only 20ft away and then regained the signal when the craft landed and I was miles from any other RF signals.

What a shame he did not save the DAT file before sending the Mavic back.

Rob

Hi Cyber
I am interested in what things you and the others think might have caused a Loss of signal at a 50ft distance?

I can only think of three things.

1) The OP turned off the RC.

2) He flew straight towards a massive RF source.

3) He flew behind a steel wall.
If you look at his coordinates on the map, he was located on Radio Tower Road. He was 2000 ft from the radio tower on top of that hill.

If you look at his coordinates on the map, he was located on Radio Tower Road. He was 2000 ft from the radio tower on top of that hill.

Thanks that sound like a possible reason although I would have thought that DJI would have included that there was heavy interference. The OP certainly should have seen the warnings on his screen.

Rob

I'd like to see both log files before making accusations or claims. I stick to the statement that any number of causes can be responsible for lost signal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000