DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go App sometimes 'blanks out camera' when initially connected...

SatDoug

Reactions
Hello All:
Newb to Mavic here. Concerning the DJI Go 4 App while connected via RC using an iPhone 6 Plus latest iOS and current firmware/ DJI Go 4 app: Sometimes at initial start-up, once I am in the app (but haven't begun to fly yet---about 2 minutes into power up), the picture from the camera goes blank (black). It is there at first and then blanks out. I wait about another minute (display still shows 'connected'), pull the lightning cord on/off and/or re-launch the app. That works and for the rest of the time I have no issues. I have only flown 3 times so this may be normal but I want to iron out any problems while I can still return if necessary. Is this expected, or have others experienced it? Thanks!

Its not normal. It might be a bad cable but I doubt that everything else would work except the video.
If its easy enough to return then I suggest you return it.

Rob

So I have the 6S+ as well, and this is what i do before each flight and haven't had any image transmission errors since doing these steps:

It may not work for everyone, but as soon as the transmission error came up I did a little research and compiled these steps to correct my problem. Hope this helps.

-Take case off IPhone (I find it sits in the Mavic controller better)
-Turn on Mavic Controller
-Turn on DJI App
-Turn on Mavic (let it initialize IMU, then calibrate compass)

Then.....

Go into settings on IPhone:

-Turn Airplane Mode on
-Turn Low Power Mode off
-Make sure there aren't any background apps running before returning to DJI App.
-Take off and enjoy

So I have the 6S+ as well, and this is what i do before each flight and haven't had any image transmission errors since doing these steps:

It may not work for everyone, but as soon as the transmission error came up I did a little research and compiled these steps to correct my problem. Hope this helps.

-Take case off IPhone (I find it sits in the Mavic controller better)
-Turn on Mavic Controller
-Turn on DJI App
-Turn on Mavic (let it initialize IMU, then calibrate compass)

Then.....

Go into settings on IPhone:

-Turn Airplane Mode on
-Turn Low Power Mode off
-Make sure there aren't any background apps running before returning to DJI App.
-Take off and enjoy

You should not need to go through all these steps. I use an iPhone 6plus and just turn on the stuff and fly. About the only thing that is an issue is that you cannot put on a case that has any real thickness or it will be hard to get in.

Rob

I can't be the only person with a good side cable.

The first part gets done anyway. The last three steps for most aren't necessary as they probably aren't in low power mode. So switching to airplane mode, and double tapping home to close out apps is not a lot of work.

It's pretty clear that interference is a factor; probably crappy shielding. Who knows.

So OP your options are:

a) follow the steps above

OR

b) grab a spare charging cable and plug it in on the bottom of RC, fish it through controller, and into your phone. I'm sure you can remove the side cable like you would when attempting to fit a tablet in the remote, or slide it out of the way and fish it through.

Either way has shown success, I chose to carry less stuff with me and don't need to be connected to the outside world while flying my $1000 drone. A phone call will interrupt your flight anyway, so what's the big deal.

Reactions: olicoz
Thanks All!
I really do think it is the lightning connector as being a Newb it is tricky to get it in the remote holder and not knock off the cable. And yes, I do remove my case. But next flight for the heck of it I will follow Rob's steps as well. Cheers!
Doug

I had this issue quite a few times and found out it was down to a faulty cable.

The small little usb cables supplied with the Mavic controller are useless. They are weak and the wires are very thin, which causes it to break easy.

I purchased a 1ft usb from Amazon. Very strong cable and Iv had no problems at all since.

iPhone Cable, Anker PowerLine Lightning Apple Certified Cable (1ft) Heavy-Duty Aramid Fiber Reinforced Cable for iPhone 7/ Plus/ 6s / SE/ Plus, iPad Pro / mini 4 / Air, iPod touch and more Apple Devices (Space Gray) iPhone Cable, Anker PowerLine Lightning Apple Certified Cable (1ft) Heavy-Duty Aramid Fiber Reinforced Cable for iPhone 7/ Plus/ 6s / SE/ Plus, iPad Pro / mini 4 / Air, iPod touch and more Apple Devices (Space Gray): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78