DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BertNewton

Reactions
Hi All,
MY Ipad 4 wont allow me to get Go4, and DJI just removed mavic support for the go app. So i am looking at getting a new tablet.. hopefully a fairly cheap one.. My older iPad ran the go app perfectly, with no issues at all on over 90+ flights.
Does anyone know the minimum specs required to run this thing? theres a samsung galaxy tab A 8.0 for $16 p/m I could get... Just not sure if it will work with the new version of GO 4.0
Cheers!

I think a ipad 4 should work. Not sure the difference between that and a mini 4. Which is perfect. ?

Sorry.. Mine is the iPad 4th Generation (about 3 years old).. iPad mini 4 is brand spankin new and would run it easily....
I dont see why they would restrict my iPad, as it can obviously run the drone & app no problem... :( But thats life I guess...

That's the problem with iOS and Android devices. One day you'll wake up and find that your device is incompatible with the software. Makes me wonder what a dedicated remote would look like for the Mavic (think P4 Pro with screen but smaller).

I have seen that one... but is there a list for the GO 4.0 App? With these recent updates (and lockouts) Im hesitant to throw money at a new device if it is not going to work.
I see on that page in the comments though, someone has that Samsung Tab A, and has said it is rubbish, and lags alot... So at least that answers that for me!
Onto something else then I guess!

That list applies to all versions of DJI GO.

I see on that page in the comments though, someone has that Samsung Tab A
There are different versions of the Tab A. It also will most likely require additional tweaks since it's one of the slower devices on that list. Go with a recommended device and you'll be fine.

That is not really clear on the page at all. And now that DJI have separated the 2 apps, and you can not use a Mavic Pro with the Go app at all, this clarification needs to be made.
DJI Go is now only operational for Inspire 1, Phantom 3, Matrice, and Osmo. GO 4.0 is only for Phantom 4, inspire 2, and Mavic Pro.
From what I can gather, DJI Go is less hardware intensive, and the most recent version of 4.0 requires better specs to run effectively.

What I am looking for is a "Minimum Specs" for DJI Go4.0 app, after these recent changes. Then I can buy a better than minimum tablet and know it is going to work.
Also, the page lists the Samsung Tab A as useable, however, by user accounts it seems it doesn't keep up, so not sure I can trust this pages recommendations.
Seems out of date and not relevant to the recent changes DJI have made...

While I can't give you the "Minimum Specs" I can tell you that the iPad Mini 4 has plenty of processing power to handle the Go 4 app. I have to think that I'll be upgrading my Mavic (or whatever supersedes it) before I have to upgrade the iPad Mini 4.

YMMV

That is not really clear on the page at all. And now that DJI have separated the 2 apps, and you can not use a Mavic Pro with the Go app at all, this clarification needs to be made.
I just clarified it for you above. "DJI GO" means any version of DJI GO. That includes all versions of DJI GO 3 and all versions of DJI GO 4.

From what I can gather, DJI Go is less hardware intensive, and the most recent version of 4.0 requires better specs to run effectively.
Check out the recommended devices for both DJI GO 3 and DJI GO 4 directly on DJI's website. You'll notice the lists of devices are nearly identical. I'm assuming the few differences are just an oversight.

What I am looking for is a "Minimum Specs" for DJI Go4.0 app
It would be best to use a device that is recommended or a commonly used device. Devices that match specs of other devices on the list don't always work well.

the page lists the Samsung Tab A as useable, however, by user accounts it seems it doesn't keep up
It depends which model of the Tab A you're referring to. Can you clarify?

Seems out of date and not relevant to the recent changes DJI have made
I often update the list weekly. It's still quite relevant.

Reactions: Bunny Too

It appears out of date for the Mavic, it lists devices like the Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge as recommended by DJI when they're not (only the S5, S6, Note 3 and Note 4 are the current Samsung phones supported by DJI) - these are the current supported devices:

• ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
  • Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Also there's no warnings against any of the devices either, the Shield K1 gets a green marker for a recommendation but it's known to be highly problematic on Android v7 which there's no mention of, same with some of the other devices on the list.

Apple in a very un-Apple-like-fashion very quietly just released a new iPad (9.7"). The base unit (Wifi and 32GB) is going for $329. That's $70 cheaper than the Mini 4. Rumors are running that a new Mini may be released the first week of April. We shall soon see.

My original post specified the Tab A 8.0..
Looks like a piece of junk I guess... Quad Core 1.2ghz, 1.5g Ram, Android 5.0.... Going to go with an iPad... 9.7 inch pro I recon.... Then it should be smooth sailing :)

It appears out of date for the Mavic, it lists devices like the Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge as recommended by DJI when they're not
Those are the first two devices listed on DJI's website.

DJIGO.jpg

Also there's no warnings against any of the devices either, the Shield K1 gets a green marker for a recommendation but it's known to be highly problematic on Android v7 which there's no mention of, same with some of the other devices on the list.
It is true that some of the listed devices don't work well when running certain OSs. The same sometimes holds true for devices DJI recommends. If you want a device that works out of the box and will likely have no trouble with the OS moving forward, then get an Apple device. If you're just nitpicking, then, yes I see how that information could be valuable to someone looking for a device to use.

My original post specified the Tab A 8.0
Ah. Maybe you edited your post? I only see "Samsung Tab A" above.

I agree with you though. The "Tab A 8.0" is not a great device. It's not on my list either.

Those are the first two devices listed on DJI's website.

As I said though, not for the Mavic: (Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads):

• Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
Each time it comes up on the main DJI forums, the DJI staff will tell users the S7 is not supported:

DJI GO causing Samsung S7 to restart

Hello colin,samsung s7 is not in our device support list.It might be not compatible.Could you please try to change a original lightning cable or a mobile device ?

Mavic Pro/DJI GO NOT compatible with Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

I think others have gotten it to work, BUT, the specs do not list the S7 as a recommended device.

There's differing reports on how well the S7 works but it's not an officially supported device on the

It is true that some of the listed devices don't work well when running certain OSs. The same sometimes holds true for devices DJI recommends. If you want a device that works out of the box and will likely have no trouble with the OS moving forward, then get an Apple device. If you're just nitpicking, then, yes I see how that information could be valuable to someone looking for a device to use.

I don't see how that's nitpicking, the Nvidia Shield K1 is a great choice for DJI Go4 with Android v6 so I can see why it gets the green marker for that but with Android v7/Nougat it doesn't work well with the application at all. Either the device shouldn't have the recommendation any longer or there should be a note to make it clear that the tablet needs to be downgraded to Android v6 as I would think it's understandable that someone would choose the Shield as the only recommended Android tablet for the Mavic only to find it works poorly unless they go hunting and find they need to change the OS.

GO App crashing on Nvidia Shield K1 with v7 (Nougat)

Last edited:
I just clarified it for you above. "DJI GO" means any version of DJI GO. That includes all versions of DJI GO 3 and all versions of DJI GO 4.

Check out the recommended devices for both DJI GO 3 and DJI GO 4 directly on DJI's website. You'll notice the lists of devices are nearly identical. I'm assuming the few differences are just an oversight.

It would be best to use a device that is recommended or a commonly used device. Devices that match specs of other devices on the list don't always work well.

It depends which model of the Tab A you're referring to. Can you clarify?

msinger it would be better if the list is not a Dji recommendation but actual user experience

There's differing reports on how well the S7 works but it's not an officially supported device on the
It's really there. Here's a screenshot of DJI's website:

Downloads.jpg

msinger it would be better if the list is not a Dji recommendation but actual user experience
Take a look at my list. It includes both the devices DJI recommends and a list of devices recommended by members of this forum and Phantom Pilots.

FWIW I just bought an iPad Mini 4 (cellular version), 16 GB and have no issues with GO 4. I bought a re-furbished one and so saved 15%. (Apple refurb, 1 year guarantee). This is to go with the P4P but I'll likely use it for the Mavic as well.

I've nothing against Android, but it seems to me that's where the most griping over disconnects, no-connects, etc. seem to come from. I'd hazard a guess that trying to go for older (thus cheaper) or new but cheap Android phones may lead to frustrations.

IAC, as others have pointed out, better to not throw models and see what sticks but look at the "proven" lists. From there I would not aim for the bottom...

It's really there. Here's a screenshot of DJI's website:

You need to scroll back up slightly on that webpage:

APP / LIVE VIEW
Mobile App DJI GO 4
Live View Quality 720p@30fps、1080p@30fps(Remote Controller)
720p@30fps(Wi-Fi)
720p@60fps、1080p@30fps(DJI Goggles
Latency 160-170ms (depending on conditions and mobile device)
Required Operating Systems
  • iOS 8.0 or later
  • Android 4.1.2 or later
Recommended Devices
  • ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.

I don't know why there's two versions on that page but the one I've posted is the correct one as this is the one DJI themselves always reference when asked about compatibility - this is a post from DJI staff last week:

DJI Go 4 4.0.6 new ver

As firmware updates go on it can take more processing power, so if it's not on the DJI recommended list it may work, it may not, or it may partially work.
For a Tab A, I think you would need one of the recommended devices.

ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.

DJI claim the problem is with Samsung and it's up to them to fix it which is why I assume it's not on the current compatibility list

Samsung S7 and Mavic Pro

I see, you haven't been able to get your S7 to work for 3 months.
That is a Samsung issue and not a DJI issue.
Back in October is when this started and DJI urged Samsung to resolve the issue.Others have stated it works so possibly a settng on yor device.

Whatever the reason, neither S7 is currently officially supported by DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS