DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Missing Diopter Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
fetch

fetch

An easy way to fit a cheap near glasses. Elegant....not. Works.... yes.

:p

None of them.

Its a double component putty, that mix components, and you can handle during 5 minutes.

None of them.

Its a double component putty, that mix components, and you can handle during 5 minutes.
Is it safe to have near your eyes?

When dry it is a monolithic material, similar to smooth cement.

The black is probably the velcro side.

Life is a bit more interesting for those of us with progressives who are nearsighted :)

For me (-5.75 I think) without glasses the screen is just slightly blurry and with progressives very blurry..

I'm thinking I may need to follow the suggestion above where I get a pair of single vision actual glasses with a light prescription, cut off the arms and velcro them in place...

I looked at the fatshark insert-able lenses which come in negative diopters but they seem too small...

What are other folks doing who have bi-focals/tri-focals and are nearsighted?

Just got mine today, and had a minor struggle getting everything updated, activated, and linked to the Mavic, but all is now functioning properly. The missing diopter adjustment is a Very Big Deal for me. I had Lasik surgery to both eyes many years ago, with one eye dedicated to distance vision, and the other to close-up vision (commonly known as dual mono-vision). The close-up eye sees one screen perfectly, but my distance eye cannot adjust to the proximity of the other. I thought I would be able to acclimate to this easily, but having tried the Goggles for a half hour, I am not sure they will ever be as good for me as I had hoped. I'l keep trying for a while, but at this moment I am pretty disappointed. Having the diopter adjustment for my distance eye would be a huge improvement.

Just got mine today, and had a minor struggle getting everything updated, activated, and linked to the Mavic, but all is now functioning properly. The missing diopter adjustment is a Very Big Deal for me. I had Lasik surgery to both eyes many years ago, with one eye dedicated to distance vision, and the other to close-up vision (commonly known as dual mono-vision). The close-up eye sees one screen perfectly, but my distance eye cannot adjust to the proximity of the other. I thought I would be able to acclimate to this easily, but having tried the Goggles for a half hour, I am not sure they will ever be as good for me as I had hoped. I'l keep trying for a while, but at this moment I am pretty disappointed. Having the diopter adjustment for my distance eye would be a huge improvement.
If you use my suggested workaround, you could probably cut one side off and use just the side requiring assistance. Fred

My solution 3M hooks, suspended on rubber bands, like the Mavic gimbal. The 3M hooks can cleanly be removed if ever needed by pulling down on the tags. No damage to the Goggles.

57f1789f1636a29639a804e7d34519de.jpg

Reactions: Craig540
Mine have been shipped and will be here Tuesday. I wear progressives so in preparation i order 3 pairs of readers at 4,4.5 and 5 powers. with the 5 power on I can see my cell phone clearly when held 5 inches from my eyes, i think my focus point will have to be closer though. How far away from your eyes are the screens in the goggles ?

Here is what I did to solve the issue and I have to say it is a perfect solution. I can't take credit for this because I was led to the idea from another post where someone mounted their readers inside the goggles. Here is what you will need, Carson Optical VisorMag these come in 1.75x(+3.00 Diopters), 2.0x (+4.00 Diopters) and 2.25x (+5.00 Diopters), they range in price (current) from $6.89 to $8.99 NOT in order from lowest x to highest x.

VisorMag version:
Amazon.com : Carson Optical VisorMag 1.75x Power (+3.00 Diopters) Clip-On Magnifying Lens for Hats VM-10 : Health & Personal Care

Clip-and-Flip version:
Amazon.com: Carson Clip and Flip 1.5x Power Magnifying Lenses +2.25 Diopters (OD-10): Sports & Outdoors

If you need lower they also make them in a different version called Carson Clip-and-Flip which come in 1.5x (+2.25 Diopters), the part you will detach is exactly the same so just order the cheapest you can find in the power you need them in. The lens easily detaches from the mount which you will not need but you can save if you also want to use them as designed since you are not altering the lens in any way other than a small piece of Velcro. I bought all 3 of the VisorMag versions as I didn't know which one I would want. I was using 1.75 readers and as it turned out the 1.75x (+3.00 Diopters) are the ones that looked perfect so I guess they do cross over to readers by power. For mounting I first tried a small piece of Velcro but it didn't feel like it was getting the best hold because the Velcro didn't seem thick enough. I then used a piece of what is called 3M Dual Lock tape that came with my Pennsylvania Turnpike EZ-Pass to mount it to the windshield. This can also be bought on Amazon and this link looks like the best price for the amount you will need.

Amazon.com: EZ Pass Mounting Kit - 3M Dual Lock Tape - 2 Sets of Peel-and-Stick Strips with Alcohol Prep Pad: Automotive

This type of Velcro type fastener is a little thicker and holds much better than standard Velcro and allows the lens to seat perfectly on the goggles. A small piece just the size of the cross bar on the lens is all you need and another small piece between the lens on the goggles. Due to the plastic piece being clear that was used to mount the lens to the original clip it still allows the goggles to shut off and doesn't interfere with the proximity sensor. Therefor there is no need to remove it and it provides for a nice grip for removing the lens from the goggles, this is almost like they were made for these goggles. I am a tinker type of guy and I pretty much mess with everything and find ways to improve on them and other than mounting different type of Velcro I can't really find anything I would change on this setup that wouldn't cause you to alter the goggles by mounting the lens more permanently by affixing the lens or mount by screwing or gluing in some way. These also come with the case included which just fits the lens only which is perfect since you don't use the clip mount. I'm not even going to bother sending the other 2 sets back because they do have use as originally designed and even buying all 3 sets I'm still under $30 to get perfect vision on my goggles. I spent $449 so the extra money is well spent. Most should be under right around $12 for the Dual Lock tape (which I highly recommend over standard Velcro for strength of hold, quality of hold and positioning and ease of removal) and the Carson diopters. Feel free to ask any questions. This setup is much better than wearing readers that when I lifted the goggles I had to remove to see the Mavic, then put the readers back on before lowering the goggles. Here are a few pics of the setup.

MisterMavic could you please post a pic of the way you installed the piece of dual lock tape on the goggle side. I am trying to find a way to make sure there is enough surface to stick to because of all the little ridges.

Thanks ... Tim

Received my DJI Goggles yesterday. They look cool and build quality is outstanding. They are heavy! Ohh yes! Pairingh with Mavic Pro and setup went like a dream. They are very easy to operate and image is crisp and bright, but... all of it providing you have 20/20 vision or your spectacles / contacts are perfectly tuned to eyesight condition. Why? Because the goggles are missing diopter adjustment. I wear glasses. I do not go to optometrist every week, but every few years. The script of glasses and contacts I am wearing today is good enough, but not perfect. DJI wants your vision with glasses or without to be perfect. Oh well, maybe DJI Goggles Mark II will take care for that.
Received my DJI Goggles yesterday. They look cool and build quality is outstanding. They are heavy! Ohh yes! Pairingh with Mavic Pro and setup went like a dream. They are very easy to operate and image is crisp and bright, but... all of it providing you have 20/20 vision or your spectacles / contacts are perfectly tuned to eyesight condition. Why? Because the goggles are missing diopter adjustment. I wear glasses. I do not go to optometrist every week, but every few years. The script of glasses and contacts I am wearing today is good enough, but not perfect. DJI wants your vision with glasses or without to be perfect. Oh well, maybe DJI Goggles Mark II will take care for that.

I can't even pair mine, can't find the menu on the controller according to the manual. Also, I don't wear glasses but can't see the screen clearly either. I think the goggles are half-baked, so I'm selling them trying to get my money back. Never used once, because there's no option to pair.

Tim

Yes, it is, especially that the only adjustment provided, dealing with an inter-pupillary distance between two lenses seems to be unnecessary, as it does not make much difference.
I agree, not much difference, need a diopter as well. Even binoculars let you adjust each eye separately as well, so the technology is very basic! I did put on some cheap readers and that fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki