DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic 2 confirmed by Argos (specs & model names)

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
Argos just leaked some kind of advertisement/flyer that contains more specs about the Mavic 2. It'll be available in the following models:
The notable specs are as follows:
  • 1080p video transmission
  • 8km (4.9 miles) transmission distance
  • Max speed of 20 m/s (44 mph)
  • Max flight time of 31 minutes
  • APAS
  • ActiveTrack 2.0
  • Omnidirectional obstacle avoidance
Additional Mavic 2 Pro specs:
Additional Mavic 2 Zoom specs:

Argos1.jpg

Argos4.jpg

Argos2.jpg

Argos3.jpg

Here’s a video from Ash (of DroningON) showing the Argos catalog:

This also confirms what the cancelled "See the Bigger Picture" announcement was going to be about:

EventConfirmed.jpg

Last edited:
It says "1080p image transmission" as opposed to 1080p video (it'll be 4k for certain).

Sadly the important bits aren't on there - the bit rate and codec for video.
100mbps is a given as they already put that in the air but supporting HEVC/265 would be a fantastic step up in terms of quality at 4k.

Distance specs look like Occusync remains (and they quote the american range not european range) although maybe tweaked a bit for 1080p not 720p transmission although this could be a CPU/codec change instead.

Edit:- Forgot to add, surely they have to announce a Phantom 5 because with those specs there's no reason to buy even a P4P any more. Unless they're ending the Phantom line totally...

Last edited:
Now the question is does the Zoom version ALSO have the 1-inch sensor, or is it a choice between one or the other...

does the Zoom version ALSO have the 1-inch sensor
Based on the size of the cameras in the above photo, it seems to be one or the other.

Reactions: Niblett and Kilrah
A zoom is going to be far easier to implement on a smaller sensor due to the increased crop factor so you wouldnt expect a 1" sensor plus zoom.

For people that don't know Argos, its a massive UK "catalogue" store. You either order online or go through a physical catalogue at home or in a store, write down the stock number, go to the nearest shop, hand in the bit of paper, wait for your number to be called and collect it from the desk.

What likely happened here is they got the catalogues printed prior to the press event, the event got cancelled and they didnt want to recall 50,000+ 800 page catalogues.
They've got past form for this - accidentally "leaked" few products from big companies prior to announcement for the same reason.

Based on the size of the cameras in the above photo, it seems to be one or the other.
Indeed. From the look of it there isn't even enough space to fit a one inch sensor into the one the catalogue labels as the zoom model.

It says "1080p image transmission" as opposed to 1080p video (it'll be 4k for certain).

Sadly the important bits aren't on there - the bit rate and codec for video.
100mbps is a given as they already put that in the air but supporting HEVC/265 would be a fantastic step up in terms of quality at 4k.

Distance specs look like Occusync remains (and they quote the american range not european range) although maybe tweaked a bit for 1080p not 720p transmission although this could be a CPU/codec change instead.

Edit:- Forgot to add, surely they have to announce a Phantom 5 because with those specs there's no reason to buy even a P4P any more. Unless they're ending the Phantom line totally...

Agreed - if it has 100 Mb/s and H265 then it has the potential to be a remarkable platform.

Indeed. From the look of it there isn't even enough space to fit a one inch sensor into the one the catalogue labels as the zoom model.

Because to get zoom the easiest way is a higher crop factor. Higher crop factor is a smaller sensor. Its the only way they're going to do it on the mavic form factor.

Because to get zoom the easiest way is a higher crop factor. Higher crop factor is a smaller sensor. Its the only way they're going to do it on the mavic form factor.
Your theory's right, but I don't think the term "crop factor" really applies here. That's when you have a lens in front of a sensor that's smaller than what the lens was designed for - originally used to describe the effect of mounting a lens designed for 35mm film in front of a smaller sensor. I think a zoom lens is simply smaller when designed for a smaller sensor.

Reactions: Thwyllo
Your theory's right, but I don't think the term "crop factor" really applies here. That's when you have a lens in front of a sensor that's smaller than what the lens was designed for - originally used to describe the effect of mounting a lens designed for 35mm film in front of a smaller sensor. I think a zoom lens is simply smaller when designed for a smaller sensor.

I agree that it's not just increasing the crop factor. In this situation it is both cropping (taking less of the total image FOV from the lens) and increasing the pixel density by using a smaller sensor. If it were just cropping then it would effectively just be digital zoom.

They're quoting the zoom as 35mm equivalents hence me bringing up crop factor.

Ultimately its easier to do zoom with a smaller sensor. You need less glass and less light path. Its physically smaller and lighter. A zoom on a 1 inch sensor would be a beast - too big for that gimbal design to contemplate.

I wonder who is making the actual 1" sensor. Hopefully Sony.

some ones going to getting sacked over this lol .. anyhow just off to the bank be back in a min for a chat images.jpeg

They're quoting the zoom as 35mm equivalents hence me bringing up crop factor.
Ah yeah, I see where you're coming from.

That they're sticking a 1 inch sensor into the Mavic line does beg the question as to where the Phantom line goes from here. Being a bigger, heavier platform, the Phantom does have the potential for lugging around larger camera equipment, including that rumoured exchangeable lens system. It does feel like DJI allow their newer models to cannibalize the market area that their previous models reside in. The Phantom used to be the low-end consumer drone with the Inspire being the pro line. Then the Mavic with the lower price and portability took over the consumer end, and the Phantom ended up with a much better camera to compensate. Now the Mavic Air has usurped the Mavic Pro as the portable, consumer level drone, so they're giving the Mavic Pro a much better camera.

Where does this end? Are we all going to be sticking a $200 Spark Pro with DSLR-level imaging equipment in our pockets in five years time? Will the Inspire be capable of spaceflight?

Either they've got a really good new phantom 5 product release planned OR they'll axe the phantom brand and just run mavic/inspire.

OR they'll axe the phantom brand and just run mavic/inspire.
I doubt the Phantom is being axed. There are leaked photos of unreleased Phantom models floating around.

It would need to have some major upgrades. Maybe that would need interchangeable cameras. Its hard to see a USP of a Phantom given these mavic 2 pro specs.
....and obviously if they do TOO much with it then the inspire market is hit. DJI have a slight problem in that their entry level products are a little too good and too affordable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98