DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic pilots - Australia

I just received a call from Rise Above that my Mavic Pro was there for me to pick up... yay finally... I ordered back on Oct 1 and was number 35 on the list

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I just received a call from Rise Above that my Mavic Pro was there for me to pick up... yay finally... I ordered back on Oct 1 and was number 35 on the list

Good on you buddy. I was like 350 in the list, recieved it first from JB Hi Fi than from Risa Above or DJI lol :) Welcome to the club

Reactions: Sparky1963
I'm Chris Tangey, based in Alice Springs NT for 28 years, about 20 years of that as a camera person. I shoot corporate videos but also pro stuff including docos, music videos etc.
I had the original Phantom but it was way too complicated to fly commercially, so I sold it cheap. Now the new CASA regs have encouraged me to train-up on the Mavic Pro for a few weeks, I have 5 batteries and it's amazing how you can actually use all of those quite quickly, especially if you want to be on the "safe side" getting the machine home when you are shooting something fairly intense. I've done some testing with polar pro filters here:
and the website is here: http://www.alicespringsftv.com/ Thanks.

Wow how can you get those colors!
Mind sharing the full camera setup please?

My ND filters are on the way :)

Reactions: christangey
hmmmmm, orders have dropped to 7-10 days lead time on the DJI store. Anyone ordered direct from DJI lately?

I'm not sure if this is allowed here, but currently located in Adelaide and I got a hold of a DJI Mavic Pro. Just got a call from ModelFlight to say my order came in but I declined, so lucky next guy. I'm also currently in line with Rise Above which I might keep as I had a deal going with them, but don't need the Mavic. If anyone is interested in taking my position in line let me know, no strings attached. Maybe just a deposit to let me know you're serious.

I would prefer it be Adelaide just so it's easier.

Summer Time here - Stay away from crowded Beaches

Was at the beach in Southern Victoria yesterday. Some fella was flying his Mavic around at about 30' over the top of everybody and over swimmers including myself in the water. Tracked the guy down and had a word.. He said he was aware of the rules and was of the view he could simply fly above 30m and do as he wished. This is of course not the case.

The perception of an intrusive drone buzzing around at low level on a crowded public beach can only lead to tighter regulation and spoil things for everybody. So if you got a shiny new Mavic for Chrissy, please don't be a **** with it & spoil it for the rest of us.

Has any one seen the following RPA rules broken down in to a simple one page flyer? Would be a handy thing to carry around and hand out to people who are clearly breaking the rules.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Flying with control - rules for flying drones and model aircraft safely
When flying drones or model aircraft recreationally, you need to follow these simple drone rules to keep everyone safe.

• You should only fly in visual line-of-sight, in day visual meteorological conditions (VMC). What does that mean?
    • No night flying (generally).
    • No flying in or through cloud or fog, and you should.
    • Be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through first-person-view [FPV, binoculars, telescopes]) at all times, (unless you operate under the procedures of an approved model flying association. Contact the MAAA for more information about flying FPV).
  • You must not fly closer than 30 metres to vehicles, boats, buildings or people.
  • You must not fly over populous areas such as beaches, heavily populated parks, or sports ovals while they are in use.
  • In controlled airspace, which covers most Australian cities, you must not fly higher than 120 metres (400 feet) above the ground.
  • You must not fly in a way that creates a hazard to other aircraft, so you should keep at least 5.5 km away from airfields, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites.
Operations within the 3nm (5.5km) radius of an aerodrome or helicopter landing site are possible and lawful providing you comply with the Standard Operating Conditions listed above and ensure that you do not operate:

• on the approach and departure path, or
  • within the movement area, or
  • create a hazard to aircraft that may be using those areas.

Reactions: Spy
hmmmmm, orders have dropped to 7-10 days lead time on the DJI store. Anyone ordered direct from DJI lately?

I put an order in yesterday directly on the DJI website and my order just changed to "Shipped" today, but am yet to get any form of email confirmation or tracking number. So take from this what you will.

Summer Time here - Stay away from crowded Beaches

Was at the beach in Southern Victoria yesterday. Some fella was flying his Mavic around at about 30' over the top of everybody and over swimmers including myself in the water. Tracked the guy down and had a word.. He said he was aware of the rules and was of the view he could simply fly above 30m and do as he wished. This is of course not the case.

The perception of an intrusive drone buzzing around at low level on a crowded public beach can only lead to tighter regulation and spoil things for everybody. So if you got a shiny new Mavic for Chrissy, please don't be a **** with it & spoil it for the rest of us.

Has any one seen the following RPA rules broken down in to a simple one page flyer? Would be a handy thing to carry around and hand out to people who are clearly breaking the rules.

Flying with control - rules for flying drones and model aircraft safely
When flying drones or model aircraft recreationally, you need to follow these simple drone rules to keep everyone safe.

• You should only fly in visual line-of-sight, in day visual meteorological conditions (VMC). What does that mean?
    • No night flying (generally).
    • No flying in or through cloud or fog, and you should.
    • Be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through first-person-view [FPV, binoculars, telescopes]) at all times, (unless you operate under the procedures of an approved model flying association. Contact the MAAA for more information about flying FPV).
  • You must not fly closer than 30 metres to vehicles, boats, buildings or people.
  • You must not fly over populous areas such as beaches, heavily populated parks, or sports ovals while they are in use.
  • In controlled airspace, which covers most Australian cities, you must not fly higher than 120 metres (400 feet) above the ground.
  • You must not fly in a way that creates a hazard to other aircraft, so you should keep at least 5.5 km away from airfields, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites.
Operations within the 3nm (5.5km) radius of an aerodrome or helicopter landing site are possible and lawful providing you comply with the Standard Operating Conditions listed above and ensure that you do not operate:

• on the approach and departure path, or
  • within the movement area, or
  • create a hazard to aircraft that may be using those areas.

If I get a chance over the next few days I might do one up.

I put an order in yesterday directly on the DJI website and my order just changed to "Shipped" today, but am yet to get any form of email confirmation or tracking number. So take from this what you will.

Nice! I'll be seriously considering ordering direct if you get a shipping confirmation soon, I go overseas end of Jan and really want to take the drone with me so I really wanna get my hands on one.

Mine took four days from shipped to delivered back at the start of November.
Yes a rules sheet for Australia would be handy. For when we as operators are questioned by the public and when we need to educate over enthusiastic newbies.

Nice! I'll be seriously considering ordering direct if you get a shipping confirmation soon, I go overseas end of Jan and really want to take the drone with me so I really wanna get my hands on one.

I have now had shipping confirmation of my Mavic. Expected delivery is Tuesday. 3 days from ordering to expected delivery!?!

You don't want my order from Rise Above?

Wow how can you get those colors!
Mind sharing the full camera setup please?

My ND filters are on the way :)
Yes Stratos I have set the camera Custom settings to -2, -1, -2 and am using Polar Pro ND/PL combo filters but upgrading soon to the cinema series.

I ordered from DJI's biggest reseller in Australia on November 15, 2016. Weeks later they were telling me that I should receive my order by the end of February. In the end I bit the bullet on December 19 and ordered directly from DJI. My card was debited two days ago and I received my shipping notice yesterday. Delivery is due January 10. Cancelled my order with the reseller! Feel sorry for them as they assured me that they placed an order for over 500 units when the product was announced, but their supply has been very limited. Nevertheless, given that I have waited the best part of two months I'm going to go where I can to get the product!

Reactions: BlakPhoenix
I'm from the Blue Mountains (upper) as well. Here's some video taken in the first few days of flying the Mavic around some the local trails.

Awesome stuff... some ballsy flying. Did you have any experience flying before the mavic?

Love your video mate. I too am waiting for the cinema series.
Any grading on your vid? Looks amazeballz! Great eye too!
Thanks, yes I've done some minor grading. The trick with the Mavic I think is that because it has such a "thin" codec and low bit rate for 4K you have to get it as close to right as you can "in the air" before the edit suite as there is very little wriggle room for grading. I have tweaked it slightly, mostly highlights a touch down and shadows and saturation slightly up.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000