DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Refresh *doesn't* cover sunk drones!?

As an attorney I can say that would be enough for DJI to deny a claimeven if the situation OP was in wasn’t fully explained in the manual. While I am sympathetic here is a new pilot who flies in conditions the manual says not to fly in and loses his drone as a result. Unless DJI is feeling extraordinarily generous I don’t think there’s a chance they’ll replace the drone.

I'm sure that's correct, but DJI has a history of offering at least something in similar cases - avoidable incidents arising from unexpected aircraft response. I think it's at least worth asking them to reconsider.

I was led to believe that DJI would replace up to two drones in a year, even if the were lost in water. This is disturbing news. Should have saved the money.

I was led to believe that DJI would replace up to two drones in a year, even if the were lost in water. This is disturbing news. Should have saved the money.

What led you to believe that, and what money would you have saved?

Reactions: Turn11
Just a suggestion for everyone. I sent my drone in for repair a few months ago and decided not to use my Refresh. The total was about 170. I asked if the my could discount that and they knocked off 30 dollars. Never hurts to ask.

Reactions: Turn11
DJI Care is a scam. Bought it and when my drone crashed while using active track, they blamed pilot. They told me it cannot navigate trees

I understand why they said it was pilot error. Why do you think it was the drone's fault. If you researched it a bit you would have learned that it dicey in trees.

Apart from the water thing which you should have understood from the beginning since they make it clear that you have to return the damaged drone to get a replacement, I bet this isn't going to be the last dumb thing that you do that causes damage to your drone. And I say that as one who does a lot of dumb things. If you do, you are going to appreciate having refresh.

Can't tell where you live but if in the states, you might try get a personal articles policy from State Farm Insurance which may cover you even if you lose the drone.

Reactions: Salishan
Okay - so yes - it simply descended in forced landing mode until it hit the water. The DAT logged heights make more sense.

I would be inclined to pursue DJI on this one - there is no clear guidance in the manual about this possibility.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate the forensics. And I'll definitely pursue DJI on this one. Already contacted Tech Support and have a case file. My problem is going to be when/if they refuse to replace unless I send back the now drowned drone. :(

I thought it might verbally say "landing" for the last foot or so when it commits."

I heard no landing command such as I've heard in the past when doing a test RTH.

There's a button on the remote with two vertical lines. That's the pause button. You press that and it stops whatever it was doing and just hovers.

Well..yes...I know that *now*! :)

Actually, I didn't. I just assumed (I know, I know) that if I stopped stick inputs, the M2P would stop what it was doing. And it does - as long as it's not in some sort of "forced landing" mode. :(

It's a good button to have on hand when your app crashes or phone disconnects from RC.

When/if I get another, I'll test that. :)

Sorry to see this happened to you. I do have a thought however: Since you know more or less exactly where it is at and if you are on Facebook try pinging this group "OpenROV Trident Pilot's Group" to see if there is anyone in your area with an ROV that might be able to help you find the drone and possibly recover it. Also you might contact your local fire/police who may have an underwater recovery team with a ROV (or old fashioned SCUBA divers) that would use it as a "training opportunity" to recover the drone. And lastly - a local dive shop might help you find something more affordable as well.
All great ideas and much appreciated. I have reached out to some in the local community.

Problem is, I'd rather not spend money I really don't have to recover it *if* there's a possibility that DJI may write it off as unrecoverable and replace it.

Isn't a flight of 35 minutes pushing the life of the battery? My MP Platinum certainly doesn't have that length of flight time. Sorry for your loss.

I had a Mavic Pro hit the wall of a canal in Venice, Italy. Unrecoverable. My DJI Refresh replaced it, no questions asked. I also had a Mavic Pro drop into the ocean in the Dominican Republic. It was returning home and it didn’t have enough battery because I had been flying in sport mode. I did find the physical drone, but the device was not useable. That one was also replaced by DJI Refresh.

For what it’s worth (but too late for the original poster):
On my Inspire, most of my flying has been over salt water, and I always worried about losing it in the water. I attached several GetterBack’s to the frame, as shown in the pictures below. They’re made to recover fishing rods, and after a few minutes in the water will release a float tethered to the base with strong fishing line. Luckily I’ve never had to test them, so I can’t attest to how well they work, but they make me feel like I’ll have a chance to recover the airframe. Pictures below. I got mine on Amazon.

I’m about to buy a Mavic 2, and the GetterBacks might be small enough to mount on it as well. Hopefully they can mount so that it is still foldable. They attach with a Velcro strap.E7CD9011-1BCF-4DC0-ACD9-BBB2D6AD5A34.jpegE78FAC95-5AE6-4637-99C5-E59095C672B5.jpeg

I’m about to buy a Mavic 2, and the GetterBacks might be small enough to mount on it as well. Hopefully they can mount so that it is still foldable.
People use the GetterBack on Mavics too. Check out these photos for some mounting ideas.

I've read mixed reviews on the GetterBacks actually working when needed. I like the idea, and plan to make a few of my own to keep in my kit I can throw on when in a situation like that. I plan to use a good compact fish float, and 50' or so of heavy test line in a water soluble bait bag. The bags will dissolve enough to let the float pop in 2 min or less usually as well regardless of depth. Some of the reviews of the GetterBack I've seen have taken upwards of 11 minutes to pop the float.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661