DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller (just announced)

Will the epson 300BT work with this

good question, but I can't immediately see how. the Moverios move all of the DJI Go 4 functionality from the normal smart device to the Android brick that also produces the video signal. with an integrated smart device, how do you couple only the RC functionality to an offboard device to run DJO Go 4 there?

what you can do is use the inbuilt HDMI port to send video to VR goggles, such as the Moverio BT-35Es (assuming they are compatible for resolution etc).

in any case, it is no different to what a normal mavic 2/smart device offers now. there's no screen on the RC, why would the smart controller introduce one?

comparison to the MP is not relevant.
If by screen you mean the LCD screen with blue text, then yes the M2 does have it, and I appreciate it being there. Sometimes I can't see the data on the app in bright sun.
It also provides some extra data not on the app, such as RC battery level, and motor RPM.

Reactions: mnis
I have been putting of buying the Mavic Pro 2 because I was waiting for the controller to come out.......I was hoping that DJI would offer a package so you could get the NEW controller and the Mavic Pro 2 in a package deal........doesn't look that way so I guess I will be taking the leap and getting them really soon.

I just got the M2P and smatree case. All nice and tight. But this RC wont fit that case. To much money and change up for me. I quess the case builders are at it again. [emoji1]

Reactions: Superdaddy and mnis
D2Store have M2 controllers at $599, and 5.5" CS monitors for $739. the smart controller is a combination of the two, I wouldn't expect it to be any cheaper really.

I agree and it is a fair point but at the same time it does still make for an expensive upgrade, I guess they could potentially offset the price by offering a trade in for controllers but I don't know how useful refurbished controllers are for DJI given they don't replace the controller when they repair/replace damaged drones.

I do like the idea of an integrated screen but even price aside 5.5in is a bit too much on the small side, I've changed from a 6.44in screen down to 5.7in for the Mavic 2 Pro and now looking at getting something bigger again as I found the older larger screen much more usable. I'd also agree with the concerns about not having a separate screen for the basic Mavic stats as it's extremely useful if you lose the main display.

6 pages of opinion opting in, or out
Seems like we need a poll as to who will, or won't
If I could afford to upgrade to the MP2 or Zoom with this, assuming this fits in the bag, then yes I would. This is a complete solution.
With the Crystalsky, and other monitors there are cables (not that big a deal by itself), there are mounting issues with most mounting solutions causing lost sight of the RC telemetry (also, not that big a deal by itself) the mounting requires case consideration (not that big a deal by itself). Add up all the no biggies, and this becomes more attractive.
I like that the antennas point downward.
The controller is state of the art looking.
By itself, it's pricey
If DJI gave a $150 credit on your existing remote, would that persuade you to buy?

It's Android OS not sure if it's like the Crystalsky which has it's own unique version of the Android OS.

I still prefer the older Mavic controller with it's basic data display along with a external display. But I will be interested to following reports on pilots using the new controller.
Well, it could hardly be iOS as Apple doesn't license it to third parties.
Embedded Windows would have been expensive and I don't believe the app exist for Windows.
As DJI already have the app on Android this makes sense.

I find the CS Android version stable and I hope this one is too.

I'm interested in the reboot/startup time (if there really is need to perform such action during a flight).

I agree and it is a fair point but at the same time it does still make for an expensive upgrade, I guess they could potentially offset the price by offering a trade in for controllers but I don't know how useful refurbished controllers are for DJI given they don't replace the controller when they repair/replace damaged drones.

it would certainly hurt if you've already paid for a controller.

I do like the idea of an integrated screen but even price aside 5.5in is a bit too much on the small side, I've changed from a 6.44in screen down to 5.7in for the Mavic 2 Pro and now looking at getting something bigger again as I found the older larger screen much more usable.

exactly why I just bought a CS7.85, and why I personally wouldn't buy a smart controller. it's a lovely piece of gear, just not for me.

I'd also agree with the concerns about not having a separate screen for the basic Mavic stats as it's extremely useful if you lose the main display.

if I lose the main display out of visual range my sole reaction will be to punch RTH.

Why not? A shutdown of your device is absolutely something that you should train for.... I'm curious how RTH would be any less safe than using the display distance.
Oh, in a few words I can not answer you ... so sorry to all those bored by my little story :)

Yeah, I have to admit that I would not be able to get the Mavic back without RTH if I only see a small point on the horizon. Since I find it difficult to maintain control, I do not fly long distances anymore. Flying in sight is the allowed maximum of the distance here.

But I had this unpleasant situation once after a few first and good flights. It's been many months, but the shock has not disappeared yet. At that time I flew in good weather, a long way at low altitude over the sea, around two small islands.

I almost left a brown mark on my underwear when DJI GO told me the connection to the Mavic was lost. My live picture became a gray snapshot, and my heart got a strangely unpleasant rhythm.

Somewhere between these little islands I saw something that I thought it was my Mavic. I was unsure what exactly RTH would do, and if I had actually selected enough altitude for the flight back.

Anyway, I was afraid my Mavic would hit a few branches of the many trees around, so I decided against RTH. I made a few nervous steering movements and looked very tense to the point in the distance, but I could not detect any reaction.

Holy pear tree, I had thought, that was the joy of the new hobby.

At no time did I look at the screen of the remote control, I looked at my smartphone, onto the water and waited for a miracle. And felt five minutes later, I discovered the display of the remote control, and saw the status information. There was a connection to the Mavic all the time, and he waited obediently for input. I noticed this fact late, but not too late.

Again I did a few steering movements, and realized from the distance shown that the Mavic approached me. I went up to about 150 feet and drove the Mavic to me.

In fact, the Mavic was not in sight, no, it was just over 1.5 nautical miles away from me. In fact, I had no idea then what point in the air, I thought for my Mavic. I was not aware of the long distance because I only stared at the live image during the flight.

Maybe RTH would have made it easier to go back then, but I did not know better at that point and the remote control display helped me a lot to get the Mavic back.

Of course, today I know that I did a lot wrong. To regain control of the Mavic, it would probably have been enough to restart the GO app. And it certainly would not have hurt to keep a close eye on telemetry.

Absolutely NO, I do not want to give up the displayed extra-data of the normal Mavic M1P / M2x remote controls. That's why the Smart Controller is not smart enough for me :)

what in the name of dog would you need that for? you should be checking that before taking off, not worrying about it inflight.

In the name of the cat, I would say ... The battery status of the RC battery is as important as any other telemetry data on the LCD of the remote controls. And that's exactly where such data should be displayed. The FPV screen should not distract by too much information, and mainly represent the field of view. Being able to make a few adjustments at any time and quickly return to the main view is the task to be accomplished.

I have been putting of buying the Mavic Pro 2 because I was waiting for the controller to come out.......I was hoping that DJI would offer a package so you could get the NEW controller and the Mavic Pro 2 in a package deal........doesn't look that way so I guess I will be taking the leap and getting them really soon.
There is a package deal with the new controller and the M2s. If you look in the DJI Store there is now a Pro/Zoom/Pro (DJI Smart Controller)/Zoom (DJI Smart Controller).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000