DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller (just announced)

[QUOTE:Wonders if DJI will offer a trade in program for old controllers, just doesn't seem like a well thought out plan to ask a steep price for a new controller when your old one just sits at home collecting dusts.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. As someone who has purchased an M2 less than a month ago, it's a slap in the face to see now this new product, and especially the M2+Smart Controller Bundle, which I would have bought right away. It sounds far-fetched but a trade program for old Occusync 2.0 controllers would be much appreciated.
The price tag and also the idea of having the original (and almost new) controller gathering dust prevent me from buying the smart controller and going for a Crystalsky and a mount.

Any chance of a new line of Crystalsky monitors coming up?

I like this new controller but going to stay with my Crystalsky and A Plus Drone mount. Don't see any major advantage of switching.
1. The Crystalsky battery life is twice as long
2. You are able to use it separate from the controller.
3. Able to use it on other dji drones.
4. Able to keep the secondary controller screen.
5. Able to fit controller and Crystalsky in a more compact bag, doubt this new controller will fit in fly more bag.image.jpeguimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
I just saw that Smart Controller has 2 configs, 16GB / 64GB. I wonder if the current price tag is for which version.
Internal memory, or included SD memory card?
The memory card I would not care ... But the internal memory 16GB are a bad joke, and only suitable for caching.

Anyway, high-resolution recordings do not need biscuits, but cakes :)

Internal Storage

It seems that Hong Kong version has 64GB option?
USA store doesn't seem to have this option.

The memory card I would not care ... But the internal memory 16GB are a bad joke, and only suitable for caching.

Attachments

• DJI US.PNG
    DJI US.PNG
    51.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DJI HK.PNG
    DJI HK.PNG
    49.2 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: mnis

Probably same storage specs as on a phone/tablet, referring to Android internal storage rather than secondary storage.

$650 and it WON"T work with my $999 Mavic Pro?
So I would have to invest in a Mavic 2 and then a while later they will announce a Mavic 3 that won't support the DJI Smart Controller? I fell for this trick with the Phantom series, and won't again.
Looks like its time to go back to my homemade custom aircraft and forget all this nonsense.

I'll probably just wait till they're plentyful in supply, then someone has a flyaway and is left with nothing but despair and an overpriced controller listing in the classifieds section. Then I might buy one if the price is right :)

Reactions: cdubNga and jeffger
I'm definitely interested, though I'll be waiting from some first hand reviews before shelling out the cash.

I like the idea of an all in one solution. I've tried my iPad mini 2 mounted both to the controller, and to an aftermarket mount, and while I liked the larger screen, the whole setup was bulky and awkward. Speaking of the mini 2, I need to upgrade that anyway since the 2 reportedly isn't powerful enough to reliably run the drone/app, though I haven't had a problem. Yet. And if I'm going to upgrade, Id like a screen thats more visible in bright light, without the need for a hood, so that means a Crystal Sky. So while It would have been nice to know about this, and the package deal when I bought my M2P last month, as long as this proves to be stable and reliable, it will probably end up in may bag.

Here is my solution: Use bifocal glasses (not progressive lenses.) Add polarized clip-ons with cut outs where the close up lenses are. This gives the best vision of the sky without blocking light as you look down at the screen.
What a great idea! Where did you get the clip-ons with the cutouts?

Right now I am a leaning towards not buying it. I will keep my dedicated 8.4" Huawei M5 for the display. I flew with my 5" Pixel 2 XL and wanted a bigger screen. The 5.5" size of the new screen is a backstep for me.

I wonder how big the battery is in the new controller. Right now you have the battery in your RC and the battery in your display. I would hope the RC has a bigger battery in it to account for the increased battery drain of the display.

I would hope the RC has a bigger battery in it to account for the increased battery drain of the display.

The advertised run time for the new controller is 2-2.5 hours and I think I read that the display lowers the brightness at some battery discharge level. For most, I'd say that is enough juice but I can see where someone with a lot of batteries might want a battery brick plugged into the smart controller for additional power.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000