DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI smart controller; my opinion

This maybe in the wrong spot but, I keep getting this message with the zoom & sc....what can I do???View attachment 69467
It might also be the Battery/Batteries. They also need to have the update that the drone gets. Each one in turn. If so, power down the drone, remove battery and insert new one, restart, update and do that for each battery.

Reactions: kyle mavic
I have got the same message a few times while updating firmware using the RC and iPad Mini. I just update and it's been fine.

I have continued flying my M2P with the SC and everything is working to almost full satisfaction. I am updating this info after several more weeks of using my SC because I see some users have experience problems and some have not. So I wish to add my input in case some one is looking for more feedback.

I am definitely happy with the SC. I have posted in the past that my regret is the size of the screen because with my age it is more difficult to read small letters and icons. But as I kept my original controller, I have the option that when needed I could use it with a tablet but have figure out that I could also use the SC with the cast function or the HDMI output to a larger screen if needed.

I have no doubt that the selected design size makes it easier to transport as it continues to be a small and compact controller with very good battery duration, excellent screen brightness and fast set up. If I wanted, I could be flying in less then a minute, for me that is a plus. Pull out of the bag your SC and the drone, turn on both and you are flying. No mounting brackets, USB cables, extra batteries, to set up.

Taking my ideas on some of my posts and others I have read from other users, I would like to make my list of pros and cons.

PROS:
  • Quick easy fast setup (no brackets, no cables and no extra batteries to fiddle with)
  • Not having to use external USB cable is one less possible cause of problems
  • No additional device (tablet, phone, CS and additional battery to worry about charging)
  • Excellent brightness compared to tablets and phones (surpassed only by a CS with 2000 nits)
  • The SC feels solid or good when holding it.
  • A very professional controller appearance.
  • No worries about getting a phone call during a flight or having to set your phone in do not disturb mode.
CONS
  • Small size screen to read and touch (I can always use a stylus or cast to a larger screen)
I don´t have any other CONS. I understand some fill frustrated that there is no backward compatibility, but it happens in technology. You can not always make it backward compatible; it is a new transmission mode (OCCUSYNC 2) so to make it backward compatible most probably it would have ended up being a more expensive controller.

I would have also preferred the screen in top of the controls, but I have become accustomed to it. I believe that a different setup would have ended up in a larger size controller.

If there would have being a SC with a 7.85 inch screen I would have purchase that one, but anyhow my experience has being really awesome with the current SC.

I have had no issues with signal strength, have tested several of the automated flight modes and seem to work properly. I have had not issues neither with firmware updates.

There seems to be a little offset in the compass orientation, but I have had some also when using the original controller. I get it could be some magnetic interference. I do a compass calibration and it improves. I also believe that must probably in some future firmware upgrade they will make it better if there is a bug or something.

It also seems that some are experiencing date problems with the latest firmware update, but for sure it will be corrected in the next update.

In other words, my experience has really been awesome with the SC.

I think it was important to post out the good experience that some of us have had so everyone can compare to others with bad experiences and be able to help them in making their decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
It also seems that some are experiencing date problems with the latest firmware update, but for sure it will be corrected in the next update.

In other words, my experience has really been awesome with the SC.

If you are off WiFi and on the latest firmware you will see the date issue also. Other than some annoyances, for a new product, I love it. Boot > ready to fly being my favorite. No cables wires, etc...

Reactions: RogerMav
I like the all in one device. It’s a shame that DJI didn’t make the smart controller compatible with Mavic 1. Quick deployment is key to getting the shot. I’ve had my phone die during cold weather. Luckily Mavic Pro has a display on the remote. :)

Attachments

• A866293B-4DC2-47AD-9269-BD0170F1A8CC.jpeg
    A866293B-4DC2-47AD-9269-BD0170F1A8CC.jpeg
    867.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 2ECC6C16-02AE-4C93-BBAE-A98FDD072114.jpeg
    2ECC6C16-02AE-4C93-BBAE-A98FDD072114.jpeg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: ff22
I took a good look at the smart controller and decided it wouldn’t fit my needs. I want a bigger screen for a better FPV experience (and old eyes) and I dislike Android devices due to regular software glitches. I will probably go with iPad, a mount, and a hood as soon as I can convince my financial auditor (wife) that I need to spend even more on my fantastic new hobby.

I don't have a my Mavic Pro 2 or a display yet but I can think of something here that makes the Smartcontroller more attractive than the Crystal Sky. Processing power and future proof. The Crystal Sky is what 2 year old tech. Unless they both have the same processor which I am guessing they don't the advantage is clearly to the SC. I remember when my iPad Mini 2 stopped working with GO 4. I started have real lag and drops because the processor couldn't handle the program. I dumped it and now use a Iphone X no problems. I do worry about buying two year old displays/processors and their ability to handle GO. Just an observation and something I am taking into account.

Reactions: DavidNDC
The concept of a smart controller for the Mavic 2 was a good one. DJI had already successfully integrated a display into the Phantom 4 pro plus controller which worked very well. It had its limitations but over all I think it was a benefit to have one. As good as it was, I still preferred to use my own device versus the integrated display. Using my own device just offered me more flexibility, was larger and seemed like it booted up faster. I sold the integrated display in favor of a simple GL300F controller and never looked back.

Currently DJI offers the smart controller for the mavic 2 pro and zoom series. It was long awaited and anticipated and when it finally arrived some people were happy with it and others were not so excited. I fell into the latter group.

Without going into too much detail, the things that I liked about it were that it is integrated, you only need to carry one device with you instead of a controller and a phone, it was faster, and the display was quite well lit. Battery life is good and very few glitches (After the initial firmware problems.)

Now for what I didn't like about it. The 1st thing is I never really liked the idea of having to rely on one controller as your display and as a controller. If something happens to either the display or controller, you are down until the integrated unit gets repaired. With a phone, if the phone breaks, you could always use diffetent phone. With the normal controller, if that breaks you could just buy another controller. But with the smart controller you have to send the whole thing in for service.

A big complaint I had was the position of the display. With the phantoms, I always enjoyed the display being right out in front of me. In the Smart Controller, I don't like the display being below the controller, it's not a natural position for me. Even for my Mavic, I have a display extender that brings my phone closer to my eyes. It's also right out in front of me above the controller which is a natural position for me.

The last thing I'm going to say is that I wish they had just made the display size bigger. Everyone is complaining that it should have been at least 7" may be 8". It is being sold with their flagship consumer drone, so I think they should have just put more effort into making it a larger display to begin with. Now, everyone is waiting for the next DJI announcement hoping that this Smart Controller will be offered with a larger display, but I don't have much hope for that quite yet. DJI should have realized that most people use I pads or tablets to fly. No one is going to want to go back to a small display once they have experienced the ease of using a larger display.

Thanks for reading and if you like this post please click like at the bottom.

Best regards,

Rob
Thanks so much for the review!!

Reactions: Former Member
So, since this wasnt a poll, but more of a commentary on my part, I think some valid points have been made. A few are happy with the Smart Controller, many arent, and some will actually take delivery and find out for themselves. Im not giving up my nice setup to take a step backward, but thats just me.

I get that you don’t like it, and that’s a fair call, but after reading your comment I went back through all of the posts. I thin it would be more accurate to say that a few are unhappy and many are. I’m fact I would say the majority of people are happy with it and that most that are finding faults, don’t actually have one and are going by opinions of others that really want to bash it.
It really seems unlike you to be negative and pushing your view on others. But that’s just my opinion and how I see it. Perhaps I’m wrong

I get that you don’t like it, and that’s a fair call, but after reading your comment I went back through all of the posts. I thin it would be more accurate to say that a few are unhappy and many are. I’m fact I would say the majority of people are happy with it and that most that are finding faults, don’t actually have one and are going by opinions of others that really want to bash it.
It really seems unlike you to be negative and pushing your view on others. But that’s just my opinion and how I see it. Perhaps I’m wrong

Thats your opinion and you are welcome to it. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000