DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller question

kcrags

Reactions
I purchased a MP2 about a month ago. I recently started experiencing issues with my RC disconnecting from the MP2. The MP 2 would RTH descend to about eye level and just hover. After a couple of minutes I decided to turn off the RC and turn it back on. The RC reconnected and I was able to land. Tried again and the same happened. I’m thinking about purchasing a DJI Smart controller. Does anyone know if this will solve the problem?

I purchased a MP2 about a month ago. I recently started experiencing issues with my RC disconnecting from the MP2. The MP 2 would RTH descend to about eye level and just hover. After a couple of minutes I decided to turn off the RC and turn it back on. The RC reconnected and I was able to land. Tried again and the same happened. I’m thinking about purchasing a DJI Smart controller. Does anyone know if this will solve the problem?

There our a lot of threads about the getting another cord as that seems to be the issue for many.
We do use the Smart Controller and for the most part it has been flawless on all the 2600 ft runs we have done.

Once you go SC you can never go back to the cords as you get spoiled really quick.

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal

There our a lot of threads about the getting another cord as that seems to be the issue for many.
We do use the Smart Controller and for the most part it has been flawless on all the 2600 ft runs we have done.

Once you go SC you can never go back to the cords as you get spoiled really quick.

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal
Great, looking forward to it

Great, looking forward to it

One note that could save you a headache on the setup: After you are set up there is going to be a pop up in Chinese, most likely and authorization of some kind but agree to it or you will be starting over. Enjoy.

I have one, and only keep the original as a backup. If they ever release a 7" one with 2000 nits, take my money (again)!

Careful with the Smart Controller. It will NOT run any sort of mapping software of any kind. This means no Dronedeploy. This means that if you have this controller you will NOT be doing any photogrammetry mapping with your drone. Those jobs will be unavailable to you unless you also buy a regular controller and hook it into a phone... which is absolutely stupid. Some third party software provider needs to get around this. I am going to be returning my stupid "smart" controller tomorrow.

Last edited:
For instance, will it do what you see at this link?

Well, it depends on what you mean by "will it do what you see at this link." Inasmuch as "will it execute a flight plan like this" then the answer is yes, as you can import mission plans into Litchi and the drone will fly them. But as for designing photogrammetry missions as shown in the video, you're trying to compare Litchi (or any Android/iOS application for that matter) with a full-blown PC application, which isn't valid. Of course, you can design your missions in UgCS and then load them into Litchi and then you're good to go. UgCS looks good for the money (perpetual license though, not the stupid subscription ripoff).

FWIW, I haven't had any problems loading my standard Android apps onto the SC. I've found Pix4D is handy for a simple, quick'n'dirty all-in-one mission planner as long as you don't mind simple rectangular footprints. Anything fancier, and you're better of with UgCS, DroneDeploy, etc. This is what I'm using on my SC at the moment; my actual EFB is my old Samsung Note Pro 12.2 which I've recycled by wiping off the Samsung crapware version of Android and installing Oreo 8.1 on it. Some applications are installed on the SC for redundancy. The SC and the Samsung exchange files in the field via Bluetooth.

1565251380031.png

I have the DJI Smart Controller which I have found to be excellent up to last week! Then on 3 occasions, the Controller froze, or rather the Go$ App froze and I had to switch off and then on again by which time the MP2 Pro went into RTH mode and I had wasted half the battery. Still not sure what is wrong. The software was updated a week or so ago.

Further to my last reply, I have just tried the Smart Controller and the GO4 App froze and I had to turn off the controller. Anyone got any ideas, please. All software is the latest version. Also when trying to turn it off the red light comes on and one of the white lights.

Reactions: Chris50ae
Might be a bit of a cliche but have you tried reflashing the firmware on the SC, just in case?

As a prior owner of the Phantom 3 (bought used over a year ago) and having never flown it many times but it worked perfect EXCEPT I never liked the iPhone or iPad approach to the control box. Too large to handle and a bit clunky. When is saw the Smart Controller I immediately felt this was the way to go on my next Drone purchase. So recently I bout the Mavic2 PRO with the Smart Controller. Aside from getting approval issues, possibly from "operator error (me)" in following directions as we live in the perimeter of a flight zone, I have not flow it much but really like it. Now finding time to learn all the visuals on the screen is taking some time but I don't think I would want to go back to a phone or tablet.

I have the DJI Smart Controller which I have found to be excellent up to last week! Then on 3 occasions, the Controller froze, or rather the Go$ App froze and I had to switch off and then on again by which time the MP2 Pro went into RTH mode and I had wasted half the battery. Still not sure what is wrong. The software was updated a week or so ago.

Curious do you remember what day that was , as monday we had our first back to the home panel where it says go fly.

Further to my last reply, I have just tried the Smart Controller and the GO4 App froze and I had to turn off the controller. Anyone got any ideas, please. All software is the latest version. Also when trying to turn it off the red light comes on and one of the white lights.

Reflashing is good idea but you might also just try to reconnecting the drone using one of the options.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman