DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI too restrictive?

My attitude is that I don't trust the Chinese gov't and that I'm generally suspicious of any company with the ability to collect any type of data from me, especially Chinese companies. I don't even trust the U.S. gov't when push comes to shove (i.e. I only trust them so far). The potential for abuse is very real, and I'm aware of that, no matter what present investigations may or may not have revealed. If you want to call that paranoia, fine, that's your prerogative.

I wouldn't expect anybody to care about my flights around a park. But somebody might care about aggregating a multitude of images of other locations and building a bigger picture and GPS data makes it that much easier to filter. DJI has been accused by US agencies of spying. DJI vehemently denies it. I'm not sure at the moment exactly where the truth lies, but I do have a concern, which is what I voiced at the outset. Obviously, you don't have to agree that there's any cause for concern, but rather than suggest that I'm being paranoid, it would be more helpful for you to provide references to the fact that there's some sort of independent oversight going on.

I'm also well aware of my options for being more "anonymous", and that there's already a lot of data collection going on that I may have already opted into, but I'm not sure how your suggestions at the end are helpful. I've decided to go ahead and use my Mavic 2, so obviously I've decided that the current state of affairs is acceptable.

Peace.

Basically DJI has been accused of three things:

(1) Uploading user data (flight logs, images) to their servers. A silly thing to argue about since they promote that as a feature.​
(2) Supplying those data to the Chinese Government when requested. Quite possibly true.​
(3) Insecure login procedures, allowing third parties to intercept login credentials and hack user accounts. Probably true. Claimed to have been fixed.​

If you really care about (1) and (2) then don't sync to the cloud and don't use a connected device to fly your aircraft.

My suggestions at the end of my previous post were not intended as practical - they were intended to point out the futility of your concerns.

What has changed is the DJI GEO implementation - it is now much more detailed and accurate.

DJI GEO: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
This is from DJI via the link you provided.
The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters (such as a 1.5 mile radius at airports) without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you.

DJI has made this regulatory in the respect that now I must submit to DJI to receive their permission token to fly in an authorized area. FAA tells me I need only to notify the ATC and AP if I am in the Class C airspace. I do just that. I further inform them each where I intend to fly and the height and the duration. DJI makes it regulatory, in the fact I must ask for DJI's permission, by virtue they control the tokens. So, in the end, it seems the Chinese company is the entity that grants me permission to fly or not, in American airspace!

Do I understand this correctly or NOT???
Has DJI become a new sub-department under the FAA?
Or, has the FAA become a new sub-department under the DJI?

This is from DJI via the link you provided.
The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters (such as a 1.5 mile radius at airports) without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you.

DJI has made this regulatory in the respect that now I must submit to DJI to receive their permission token to fly in an authorized area. FAA tells me I need only to notify the ATC and AP if I am in the Class C airspace. I do just that. I further inform them each where I intend to fly and the height and the duration. DJI makes it regulatory, in the fact I must ask for DJI's permission, by virtue they control the tokens. So, in the end, it seems the Chinese company is the entity that grants me permission to fly or not, in American airspace!

Do I understand this correctly or NOT???
Has DJI become a new sub-department under the FAA?
Or, has the FAA become a new sub-department under the DJI?

I posted that link under the assumption that anyone flying DJI aircraft knows what the GEO system is. Are you not aware that you need to unlock to fly in some situations? That has always been the case. The exact process depends on the airspace that you are in.

Its been my experience sometimes trying to fly MP anywhere less than five miles of a commercial airport, I was unable to even activate the props much less fly. This is built into the DJI GO4 app. Don't like it but that's the way it is.

I've never heard of anyone not being able to fly within 5 miles of an airport (and further than 1.5 miles). It happens thousands of times every day. The restriction is only for something like 1.5 miles of a _major_ airport... not 5 miles.

App 4.3.4
Aircraft Latest Firmware: 01.00.0500
Remote Controller Latest Firmware: 01.00.0200
Precise Fly Safe Database (Aircraft) Latest Firmware: 01.00.01.12
Precise Fly Safe Database (App) Latest Firmware: 01.00.01.12
Basic Fly Safe Database Latest Firmware: 01.00.01.09

All databases checked for possible updates and report back as Latest Current Version
Thanks, my setup is similar but I did not update the RC or aircraft firmware. (01.00.0100 and 01.00.0400 respectively). I appreciate the newer fly safe databases as they are much more reasonable vs. the dumb 5 mile radius independent of the airport or its configuration. For me, the new databases have been a plus. I have been apprehensive about updating the aircraft firmware based on some of what I have read in the forums (e.g. If the existing one works, don't fix it).

I just got my mavic 2 pro today and I'm having second thoughts after reading the terms of use and complaints about the DJI go 4 app. DJI seems to be like the nanny state and maybe overly restrictive/nosey.
How difficult is it to use a DJI with small airports / heloports?
I'm thinking about sending it back before I even activate it and maybe going with Autel's Evo, but I'm not sure the image quality is enough for commercial use.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
If you are a Part 107 commercial operator, you need to become more familiar with LAANC which makes it possible to get virtually real time authorizations to fly in restricted airspace (FOR LEGITIMATE REASONS)

I posted that link under the assumption that anyone flying DJI aircraft knows what the GEO system is. Are you not aware that you need to unlock to fly in some situations? That has always been the case. The exact process depends on the airspace that you are in.
Thank you for your insight.
I am aware of the GEO system with DJI.
Before the latest DJI firmware update the GEO system would have prevented me from flying within 1 mile of the airport center.
I had zero problems with that. I really did not want to cross the highway and fly among a bunch of warehouses and hotel/motels.
The flight height restrictions would have been way too low to satisfy me anyway.

With the latest firmware update, DJI has thought it a wonderful thing to expand that to 1.5 miles. Residential/public schools/city park areas. At least on my side of the AP. North is military, south is military, east is military! Not going there.

That is not exactly the argument at hand.

The argument is, until the most recent DJI firmware update, I not once had to obtain a DJI token to fly where I have already flown. Now...with the recent DJI update, I must obtain the DJI's Token permission to fly exactly where I have previously been flying.

My previous procedure was, I file my flight-plan using the AIRMAP App (with LAANC). I receive an email with the FAA blessing. I telephone the AP Ops Ctr and inform them.
Now, I must also obtain DJI's permission?

Bottom line question is . . . Just why, exactly, did DJI expand the GEO fence an additional half mile? Was it just here in COS, CO or did they do it other places as well??? The Class C airspace has not been redefined since establishment!

Reactions: Drgnfli
Thank you for your insight.
I am aware of the GEO system with DJI.
Before the latest DJI firmware update the GEO system would have prevented me from flying within 1 mile of the airport center.
I had zero problems with that. I really did not want to cross the highway and fly among a bunch of warehouses and hotel/motels.
The flight height restrictions would have been way too low to satisfy me anyway.

With the latest firmware update, DJI has thought it a wonderful thing to expand that to 1.5 miles. Residential/public schools/city park areas. At least on my side of the AP. North is military, south is military, east is military! Not going there.

That is not exactly the argument at hand.

The argument is, until the most recent DJI firmware update, I not once had to obtain a DJI token to fly where I have already flown. Now...with the recent DJI update, I must obtain the DJI's Token permission to fly exactly where I have previously been flying.

My previous procedure was, I file my flight-plan using the AIRMAP App (with LAANC). I receive an email with the FAA blessing. I telephone the AP Ops Ctr and inform them.
Now, I must also obtain DJI's permission?

Bottom line question is . . . Just why, exactly, did DJI expand the GEO fence an additional half mile? Was it just here in COS, CO or did they do it other places as well??? The Class C airspace has not been redefined since establishment!

You clearly still haven't looked at the GEO map for your area? It will almost certainly answer why it has changed. Or post the location and someone else will explain it. You don't need DJI permission - you need to unlock the flight. You are giving yourself permission in that process.

You clearly still haven't looked at the GEO map for your area? It will almost certainly answer why it has changed. Or post the location and someone else will explain it. You don't need DJI permission - you need to unlock the flight. You are giving yourself permission in that process.
Yeah, you are absolutely correct 100 per cent on the spot. No changes to any airspace in the area. And, DJI changes it up so I must do something I did not have to do in the past. Again, you are spot on. The whole thing was my misunderstanding from the very git go. I just don't know why I was wondering why I now must do something I did not have to in the past.

Have a nice day.
No need to reply.

Yeah, you are absolutely correct 100 per cent on the spot. No changes to any airspace in the area. And, DJI changes it up so I must do something I did not have to do in the past. Again, you are spot on. The whole thing was my misunderstanding from the very git go. I just don't know why I was wondering why I now must do something I did not have to in the past.

Have a nice day.
No need to reply.

You really don't even want to understand this, do you? You just posted to whine and complain.

Reactions: Meta4
If you are a Part 107 commercial operator, you need to become more familiar with LAANC which makes it possible to get virtually real time authorizations to fly in restricted airspace (FOR LEGITIMATE REASONS)

I'm not yet, but plan to be soon. It looks like most of the complaints I've read have been mostly much ado about nothing, or old issues.

I just took her out for her maiden voyage and am pleased so far. I'm just outside the 5 mile radius of a smaller local airport and another private strip. It was a short flight due to being overcast and misty, especially around 150 - 200'.

We can’t have nice things because of the people who like to ignore the rules. DJI is trying to keep their products available for us in the future. One single drone vs plane fatality is going to shut it all down, so it’s good prevention they’re doing it.

In the US, I fly near small airports in my area easily, but as an example to what happened to another member here when he was trying to follow the rules, (Trouble with FAA and Police), don’t rely on just calling the airport; make your notices and get ATC approval in writing before flying within 5-miles of an airport.

I record my calls to the tower. And I also discovered who ever I talk to does not write down the info about my location or time of my flights. In over a year of flying inside the 5 mile circle, I have never been told I cannot fly.

Reactions: AMann
no reason for a company to restrict use of there legal products.
is there a manf restriction in place in cars, keeping them off privet property? going too fast? sending a text to the police with video and proof of you speeding?
how about a restriction on beer, hard liqure?.
no company is under any law responsible for YOUR use or misuse of there products.

maybe you have a valid and legal reason, (request by the police) to be flying within that 5 mile circle?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89