DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not understand .......

Pretty much the world follows what America does
Not really. Most countries dropped the imperial measures system years ago and moved to metric.

Nautical mile, knots and Celsius have nothing to do with "imperial" units.
nM has the same logical base as time measurements (the lenght of 1 min. arc in latitude, knowing that 1° is divided in 60 minutes and that the total earth circumference totalise 360°) and it was very useful in navigation purposes before GPS. It was rounded from 1852.3m to 1852m in 1929. I would be curious to know what is this distance expressed in imperial units, even when rounded :cool:

1.15096586 miles according to google
1 mile= 1.60934 km....thank god for Siri/google

Last edited:
1.15096586 miles according to google
1 mile= 1.60934 km
statute mile = a unit of linear measure equal to 1,760 yards (approximately 1.609 kilometres)
nautical mile = 1.852 metres

The first part of my life was imperial then of course metric became official in Canada. Let me explain where my favourite carving is in Stanley Park, Vancouver.

Walk half a kilometer down Beach Avenue from Sunset beach to Second beach. Turn right onto Bridal trail for a few meters then turn left onto Rawlings trail. About fifty feet down you will see a tree growing from a stump that is probably 50 meters high.

I buy quarts of milk and kilograms of potatoes. Ohlordhelpme.jpg

old man mavic is young on the inside (what counts) also I really feel sorry for anyone who crosses old man mavic

Im-not-Old5l3X9.jpg
Epically funny. You win! Hope I am that way someday, well now would be better.

Reactions: DDS
Guess I’m just old school who doesn’t like change... guess I need to read Metric System for Dummies.
No need for you to change- unless you are trying to do something complicated. Try find a scientist, doctor or engineer who will say they wish they could use the imperial system.

No need for you to change- unless you are trying to do something complicated. Try find a scientist, doctor or engineer who will say they wish they could use the imperial system.

It's surprising just how many scientific papers out of US institutions use a mixture of metric and imperial, mostly for dimensions. That's at least partly because many machine shops are still pretty much entirely imperial.

1/4 of a foot is 3 inches, 1/3 of a foot is 4 inches, whole numbers, making Imperial friendly for the Trades to do fractions without a calculator. Fractions of a mile are also whole numbers in feet down to 1/32

Last edited:
1/4 of a foot is 3 inches, 1/3 of a foot is 4 inches, whole numbers, making Imperial friendly for the Trades to do fractions without a calculator.

That's definitely an advantage, but it's one of the few units in the imperial system that is base 12.

We have countries driving on the wrong side of the road steering wheel on the wrong side of the car ...hell there hurricanes even spin the wrong way
. . . I'M STILL LAUGHING!! Too funny! ? ? ?

Someday - maybe - the whole world will get on the same page! Usually, I just get confused about whether I need a jacket or t-shirt when I hear that it's going to be 20℃. But who remembers the Air Canada flight that had to make a dead stick landing because the crew used the wrong units of measure to enter fuel data into the flight computer and ran out of gas at 41,000' !

Reactions: bbooty
The first part of my life was imperial then of course metric became official in Canada. Let me explain where my favourite carving is in Stanley Park, Vancouver.

Walk half a kilometer down Beach Avenue from Sunset beach to Second beach. Turn right onto Bridal trail for a few meters then turn left onto Rawlings trail. About fifty feet down you will see a tree growing from a stump that is probably 50 meters high.

I buy quarts of milk and kilograms of potatoes. Ohlordhelpme.jpg
I'm surprised milk is in quarts up there. A liter is pretty close so not too much effort to visualize the two quantities.

Reactions: Paci Fista
I don’t know, for a country that supposedly “leads the world”, doesn’t it just seem a bit archaic and backwards to be still using a measurement system invented by the Babylonians, Romans and King Henry and Queen Elisabeth by their decrees hundreds or years ago? That’s why we taught our kids to use the metric system before they started learning the Imperial System at school. Counting by 10’s and converting units simply by moving the decimal left or right was so much easier for them.

I saw all my relatives in Canada seem to adjust to the conversion to metric. I found it funny visiting my grandparents and my grandpa commenting that predicted temps in the 20's was hot.

So if they can adjust, we can too.
Only fuel dispensing will be really strange.

Reactions: AMann
I'm from a small country in Europe, when I drive 2 hours I will definitely be a 'foreigner' in another country. It makes you humble and motivates to speak different languages (7), drive LHD or RHD, auto or stick, respect other cultures and religions, and do an effort to convert between different measurement systems. Whatever the respective virtues of metric v. Imperial systems, no need for the Empire to strike back.

Blimey, I still use feet and inches and pounds and stone for weight where I can, still have tape measures and rulers in feet and inches even thou the UK went metric years ago and been living in a metric country for the past 13 years, was a car mechanic for 15 years after leaving school so most of the tools I have down in the garage are AF.:)

I wished we had ditched Imperial units for the Metric system when we had the chance 40+ years ago. But... temperature is more precise in F° than in C°.

I wished we had ditched Imperial units for the Metric system when we had the chance 40+ years ago. But... temperature is more precise in F° than in C°.

You are not restricted to integers in either unit though. Of course most devices used to measure temperature are only accurate to ± > 1°C or so anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard