DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you fly within VLOS?

Do you fly within VLOS?

• Yes, of course, every single time.

Votes: 64 15.5%
  • I almost always do but occasionally have lost sight of my bird by mistake.

Votes: 141 34.2%
  • Usually I fly within VLOS but I will also fly outside VLOS as well.

Votes: 134 32.5%
  • I don’t usually fly within VLOS.

Votes: 66 16.0%
  • No, never, what’s VLOS?

Votes: 7 1.7%

• Total voters
for example losing the ability to maintain visual separation from other aircraft, which is impossible if you're a mile out and only seeing in the forward direction.

Exactly, and this is why the strobes / leds, which allow sight from a fair distance, are probably outside the spirit of the VLOS rule.
Even thought you can say "there it is" (your drone) readily, it doesn't meant you can see what's around you and the relative-ness of another aircraft to your drone or flight direction etc.

That said, I am awaiting some firehouse arcIIs, will probably only use them when flying places that are hard to see the drone, and reasonably open LOS, like over the sea it seems to disappear pretty easily.

Possibly, but I think it's more likely due to safety concerns, for example losing the ability to maintain visual separation from other aircraft, which is impossible if you're a mile out and only seeing in the forward direction. Also avoiding obstacles like power lines.
As to safety concerns beyond VLOS, in order to maintain signal, you still have to retain clear LOS, and manned aircraft in the same airspace are easily heard and seen from the launch site (even if you cannot see your drone itself), and then one can search for them on the FPV and descend if necessary. Flying with the widest FOV helps, while flying with any zoom is less safe, creating tunnel vision. If you are scanning the horizon with your FPV, power lines come with tall towers/poles which are easily visible on the FPV, as are tall trees. Flying above those towers/poles suspending power lines and the tallest trees will keep you safe. Familiarity with the area and all potential hazards is absolutely essential, especially if flying lower than the tallest objects. All other hazards aside, the biggest risk is from other drones, and then even VLOS won't help you, if they suddenly enter your airspace on a collision course at a closing speed of 60mph! . Be safe!

Edit: Here's a quote from a city ready to adopt an illegal drone ordinance restricting flying over private property without the owner's permission that illustrates why the FAA VLOS requirement is more about enforcement.

"An important question that remains is, How would the city enforce such a drone-restricting ordinance? This is what Jordan said:

"That’s the biggest challenge. When someone can pilot a drone from a remote location, finding the owner of it after the fact could be potentially difficult. And how do we go and investigate when we arrive and (the drone) is no longer there? So that’s the enforcement challenge: It’s finding out who the operator was and what the intent was."
VLOS adherence limits the search area, so they can quickly locate the pilot and interrogate them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangerider
If I'm 500' or 2500' out, I cannot judge where my aircraft is as compared to a full sized aircraft entering the area close to my quad. How I avoid them is to look at the drone (the strobes are very helpful), orientate the camera downward to see the ground, and then drop to a safe level. I have had several aircraft enter an area I often fly at. During one outing, I was in VLOS at less than a 100' out and 50 'up when a light plane was upon me before I could move out of the way. I was able to fly a few feet back toward my LZ but that plane flew by so fast I didn't have much time to react. The pilot was doing a low level run over a lake and was coming right at me. The look on his face was classic as he passed by me but in all honesty I probably had a weird look as well. That day I wasn't using my strobes...now I always use them. BTW the term VLOS has been used for years in the RC fixed wing community. IMO my MP has more stats to aid in navigation including real time viewing over simple fixed wing RC planes, so I feel how the FAA looks at DJI type drones should take into account that they might offer safer flight as compared to other RC aircraft that do not have the same capability. The problem is people flying BVLOS creating a hazard to people and property but especially manned aircraft.

Reactions: JS1600
If I'm 500' or 2500' out, I cannot judge where my aircraft is as compared to a full sized aircraft entering the area close to my quad. How I avoid them is to look at the drone (the strobes are very helpful), orientate the camera downward to see the ground, and then drop to a safe level. I have had several aircraft enter an area I often fly at. During one outing, I was in VLOS at less than a 100' out and 50 'up when a light plane was upon me before I could move out of the way. I was able to fly a few feet back toward my LZ but that plane flew by so fast I didn't have much time to react. The pilot was doing a low level run over a lake and was coming right at me. The look on his face was classic as he passed by me but in all honesty I probably had a weird look as well. That day I wasn't using my strobes...now I always use them. BTW the term VLOS has been used for years in the RC fixed wing community. IMO my MP has more stats to aid in navigation including real time viewing over simple fixed wing RC planes, so I feel how the FAA looks at DJI type drones should take into account that they might offer safer flight as compared to other RC aircraft that do not have the same capability. The problem is people flying BVLOS creating a hazard to people and property but especially manned aircraft.
If you are flying in regularly manned airspace, clearly different circumstances apply. Theoretically, GEO will help keep you out of it. However, where the only manned aircraft are occasional police helicopters above 500 feet, they are easily seen and heard, and avoided when flying well below. Our GO 4 telemetry and 1080p FPV is, indeed, a game changer over prior fixed wing RC planes. You still need to know the area you are flying in, and plan for worst case scenarios, even within VLOS!

Reactions: Southfork1
When you fly the Air, VLOS is what - 300 meters? So all I can say with absolute certainty is that I take off and land with VLOS.

If you are flying in regularly manned airspace, clearly different circumstances apply. Theoretically, GEO will help keep you out of it. However, where the only manned aircraft are occasional police helicopters above 500 feet, they are easily seen and heard, and avoided when flying well below. Our GO 4 telemetry and 1080p FPV is, indeed, a game changer over prior fixed wing RC planes. You still need to know the area you are flying in, and plan for worst case scenarios, even within VLOS!
The places I usually fly at are not in a Geo fenced zone & nowhere near an airport or populated areas. As far as hearing an aircraft coming at you depends on different factors. In rolling hills I've had crop dusters appear so fast it startles me. Saying I'll use FPV alone to locate full sized aircraft is not the safest method to see and avoid. It might be better than not having a camera on board but IMO it still doesn't give the operator a valid reason to continually fly beyond VLOS on some kind of long distance mission. I do agree the need to prep for the area you plan to fly at. Common sense really.

As to safety concerns beyond VLOS, in order to maintain signal, you still have to retain clear LOS
This is incorrect, there are many situations where clear line of sight is not needed, behind trees for example. A row of trees don't add much attenuation to the path. And diffraction allows you to maneuver around the back side of buildings and still have a reliable link.

...and manned aircraft in the same airspace are easily heard and seen from the launch site
Not always.

Last edited:
Nope. In fact, when I take off I cover my eyes and fly away for a minute or so until I know I can’t see it, then start flying around. I like sticking it to the VLOS gummit man.

Edit: realizing that there are a lot of novice flyers here, and I’m probably a novice flyer compared to many of you, I reluctantly should point out that I was joking, even though it should be obvious. I have inadvertently gone outside of VLOS briefly (mostly losing it briefly in sun glare), but definitely have never done it intentionally. I will not that the more I fly the easier it is to see that speck in the sky. It’s a trainable skill that I find much easier after 30 hrs or so. Brain plasticity and all that.

I do not apologize for the split infinitive, though, which is a perfectly cromulent grammatical expression.

Last edited:
This is incorrect, there are many situations where clear line of sight is not needed, behind trees for example. A row of trees don't add much attenuation to the path. And diffraction allows you to maneuver around the back side of buildings and still have a reliable link.

Not always.
I don't fly anywhere I don't have LOS. While it may work, I certainly would not recommend it! It's bad enough to be BVLOS, but BVLOS and BLOS is just asking for trouble, and certainly inviting RTH activation, with potentially unpredictable results out of sight! However, good to know that trees aren't a total block to signal, and that signal diffraction and reflection can sometimes also be your friend.

Sailplanes are also easily seen because of their size.

Does it just drive you nuts?
I dont understand what you mean. I guess I adhere to VLOS because one the FAA says that I'm supposed to, and two I just personally dont like not being able to see exactly what I'm doing with regards to situational awareness. I also do most of my flying around populated areas. If I lived in a more rural area going beyond VLOS might be something I'd be more comfortable with.

Reactions: Imagineimagery
if not, I use the litchi app.

I understand the security regulations of flying VLOS, but in my opinion it is absolutely useless.

You do not take pictures or footage looking to the drone or even flying away. The most important thing, in my opinion is to have very solid knowledgement about how drone works, its features, configurations and interpret the app information.

Drone are almost 100% autonomous flying systems, even when you have the manual controls of the aircraf, drones can take some decisions based on their sensors, signal loose, GPS, etc..

Understanding the way it works and practicing are the keys for flying securely.

I look at it like this...I want to visually see and avoid manned aircraft as much as possible or what's reasonable. I agree that our type multi-rotors have abilities that actually make them almost fly themselves safely but it's an unmanned aircraft in manned aircraft airspace. I might be able to see a hazard through my screen, but my eyesight is much more likely to see an aircraft entering my area. Can't do that only with FPV safely unless you have a spotter. I fly with others quite a bit and we all become spotters to a point. If I'm flying by myself, I pay more attention to the sky and pull my head out of my screen a bit more. But yes I probably spend more time on the screen over scanning the skies.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I fly the Mavic 2 Pro and its size makes it impossible to maintain VLOS. Just going up 400 feet over my head is enough to lose sight of it.

You're right though... you can't take pictures while looking at the drone.

I do want to be able to see to land. I don't land on RTH. I will use RTH to get it close to where I can see it, then land it manually

Once it's up over 200-250 feet and then 300 ft away, you can barely see it or hear it.

I use strobes. Highly visible during daylight for a surprising distance. But even if you can't see your craft at 400', if you see a full sized aircraft entering your local area, common sense tells you to attempt to avoid it by the best means you have. It might be to point your camera down and get as low to the ground as possible.

Reactions: JS1600
I use FPV. It is much safer with the bird's eye view if you ask me. I'm almost legally blind and can't hear either so FPV is for me! It's those pesky bird attacks from the side that get me every time. :) I have 2 dogs that are great VO's.

Reactions: GerdS
I fly the Mavic 2 Pro and its size makes it impossible to maintain VLOS. Just going up 400 feet over my head is enough to lose sight of it.

You're right though... you can't take pictures while looking at the drone.

I do want to be able to see to land. I don't land on RTH. I will use RTH to get it close to where I can see it, then land it manually
I really like your selfie!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki