DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you fly within VLOS?

Do you fly within VLOS?

• Yes, of course, every single time.

Votes: 64 15.5%
  • I almost always do but occasionally have lost sight of my bird by mistake.

Votes: 141 34.2%
  • Usually I fly within VLOS but I will also fly outside VLOS as well.

Votes: 134 32.5%
  • I don’t usually fly within VLOS.

Votes: 66 16.0%
  • No, never, what’s VLOS?

Votes: 7 1.7%

• Total voters
I never heard of ATTI mode before DJI drones anywhere in the RC hobby. Where did it first originate?
When I mentioned ATTI, what I had in mind was my friend’s FPV and RC planes. When it’s in motion, when you release the joystick or if the RC loses connection to the AC, the AC will continue in its current trajectory, so if you lose sight of it, it’s almost impossible to bring it back. It’ll continue to fly until it crashes somewhere.

There was no need for a VLOS rule when it was obvious it wasn't possible to fly beyond anyway... it came when cameras and FPV arrived. But that was long before DJI existed and multicopters were practical and we were flying FPV airplanes.
The VLOS rule is based on you needing to be able to see any other aircraft that might get into a collision course with yours, when your aircraft is out of sight you have to rely on the camera and that only allows you to see forward, not all around like you can when you are looking at it from the outside.
It didn’t cross my mind the VLOS rule came about because of FPV. I mean, once you put on the goggles, you already broke the rule, so the rule would seem like it just makes FPV illegal.
I do get the part about preventing collision with other aircrafts. I forgot about that, cos I usually fly just above the tree line, far from any airport or airfield. I don’t have to worry about collision with other aircrafts, and I don’t usually see any other drones where I fly.

ATTI Mode is predominantly DJI but the OP was merely meaning "Not GPS guided mode"..... Blade called it Agility Mode (opposite of their Stability Mode).

I never heard of ATTI mode before DJI drones anywhere in the RC hobby. Where did it first originate?

When I mentioned ATTI, what I had in mind was my friend’s FPV and RC planes. When it’s in motion, when you release the joystick or if the RC loses connection to the AC, the AC will continue in its current trajectory, so if you lose sight of it, it’s almost impossible to bring it back. It’ll continue to fly until it crashes somewhere.

Yes that's how we flew for decades before Gryo Stabilization and GPS Guidance became a "thing" for RC aircraft. If you didn't know "how to fly" and attempted anyway it was a Self Correcting problem. This was long before you could "Buy & Fly" without even knowing how to spell RC...

Yes that's how we flew for decades before Gryo Stabilization and GPS Guidance became a "thing" for RC aircraft. If you didn't know "how to fly" and attempted anyway it was a Self Correcting problem. This was long before you could "Buy & Fly" without even knowing how to spell RC...

Memories! Totally, I used to get teased as to why I always kept a pillow case(s) with me when I flew fixed wing in the day, especially scratch built aircraft. if you lost site, signal, plane malfunctioned, or some idiot turned on his/her radio with the same frequency(more often than not), or the aircraft went as we called it back the day "Dead Stick", it meant total loss of control. CRASH! Find if you could. Thus the pillow case, to pick up the pieces.

Back in the early 80's we only dreamed we could fly as we fly today and did not have the choice. Beyond VLOS was not an option. Back then you had to actually learn to fly!

happy and safe flying!
Inno

It didn’t cross my mind the VLOS rule came about because of FPV. I mean, once you put on the goggles, you already broke the rule, so the rule would seem like it just makes FPV illegal.
Not really, a lot of places had/have in place a special case for FPV where you're supposed to have a "spotter" who keeps the plane in sight and can either advise you of a conflict or take control back from you should it be required when you're fliying FPV. But obviously that rules out BVLOS since that person has to see the aircraft with their own eyes.

Reactions: BigAl07
Memories! Totally, I used to get teased as to why I always kept a pillow case(s) with me when I flew fixed wing in the day, especially scratch built aircraft. if you lost site, signal, plane malfunctioned, or some idiot turned on his/her radio with the same frequency(more often than not), or the aircraft went as we called it back the day "Dead Stick", it meant total loss of control. CRASH! Find if you could. Thus the pillow case, to pick up the pieces.

Back in the early 80's we only dreamed we could fly as we fly today and did not have the choice. Beyond VLOS was not an option. Back then you had to actually learn to fly!

happy and safe flying!
Inno

I never thought about a Pillow Case.... I always kept a few black plactic bags rolled up in the bottom of my "Field Case... until I started flying larger aircraft LOL.

Oh the Good Ole Days!! Cant' beat em :)

Reactions: okw
I was in that field many years before DJI started making multicopters. ATTI combines what used to be labeled either "autolevel" or "ACC" (becasue it's the addition of accelerometers to the former gyro-only quads that allowed autolevel) and "Vario" which is barometric height control with the stick giving a vertical speed command instead of commanding throttle.
Both could be done and combined before DJI, but usually height control wasn't very reliable and you needed a switch to enable it individually when everything happened to be right. DJI are the first who got it right enough that it could be always on and have the combination of those become the default mode.
I certainly hadn’t seen ATTI
ATTI Mode is predominantly DJI but the OP was merely meaning "Not GPS guided mode"..... Blade called it Agility Mode (opposite of their Stability Mode).

Thats still how all my RC Heli's fly- the only gyros are to control the tail servo. Constant corrections from the time of launch to skids back on the deck and one mistake and you have about 4 seconds and three correct opportunities before its all over. I remember laughing in amazement at how ridiculously easy DJI quads are to fly in comparison when I first got a phantom.

Reactions: okw
I've still believe the primary purpose behind the FAA VLOS requirement is to make it easier for LEO to locate the complying pilot (far more difficult if the noncomplying pilot could be up to 5 miles away!). Once you have learned to fly by FPV, it is far less disorienting than VLOS, especially while concentrating on your composition, which requires momentarily taking your eye off the aircraft. The Landing Lights on the M2 are very helpful for quickly relocating the aircraft in the sky, day or night, if you ever lose sight of it. Programming that functionality into C1 or C2 is quite useful.

I've still believe the primary purpose behind the FAA VLOS requirement is to make it easier for LEO to locate the complying pilot (far more difficult if the noncomplying pilot could be up to 5 miles away!). Once you have learned to fly by FPV, it is far less disorienting than VLOS, especially while concentrating on your composition, which requires momentarily taking your eye off the aircraft. The Landing Lights on the M2 are very helpful for quickly relocating the aircraft in the sky, day or night, if you ever lose sight of it. Programming that functionality into C1 or C2 is quite useful.
Great tip re using the landing lights to assist location. I will be using it- hadn’t thought of it so thank you for sharing.

Great tip re using the landing lights to assist location. I will be using it- hadn’t thought of it so thank you for sharing.
One of the best M2 features! I use C2 for toggling Landing Lights, and C1 for "Dismiss Tips" which gets rid of onscreen warnings, without touching the screen, so you can keep your thumbs on the sticks!

One of the best M2 features! I use C2 for toggling Landing Lights, and C1 for "Dismiss Tips" which gets rid of onscreen warnings, without touching the screen, so you can keep your thumbs on the sticks!
I fly with BT-300’s and the controller touch pad is quick and efficient without having to divert my attention anywhere- I will be using the lights though, I can imagine how handy that will be. Hope to get a sunrise in tomorrow if it’s not too windy.

I fly with BT-300’s and the controller touch pad is quick and efficient without having to divert my attention anywhere- I will be using the lights though, I can imagine how handy that will be. Hope to get a sunrise in tomorrow if it’s not too windy.
The light placement on the bottom of the aircraft is ideal while the aircraft is somewhere above you, within in your field of view. The only catch is the toggle is not simply a binary ON or OFF. The default setting of AUTO is after the OFF. If you inadvertently touch the C2 switch while you have it set to OFF (my preference), it actually turns it back to AUTO, which causes the lights to turn on automatically at dusk during landing, which will blind you while hand catching! The GO 4 app always momentarily displays the switch changes in the upper left of the GO 4 screen in green, so you can manually cycle through the three settings, to double check the status, even if the aircraft is out of sight. Good luck!

I keep VLOS as much as possible other than when framing the camera, capturing video/stills, and watching my stats. I use firehouse strobes that allows me to see the aircraft much further than without them. But at distances about 1/2 mile out (or further) the strobes can be a little difficult to find after taking my eyes off the aircraft. So it does take a few seconds for me to scan the sky to locate my Mavic again. My eyes are on the screen (and screen stats) more than the aircraft itself. I can't imagine flying w/o watching your stats. For instance I was shooting video in an almond orchard at about 3 feet off the ground. It required me to fly strictly using my screen to keep from crashing into a branch. I do periodically scan the skies for full sized aircraft so at that time I'm also not looking directly at my drone.

Reactions: BigAl07
I've still believe the primary purpose behind the FAA VLOS requirement is to make it easier for LEO to locate the complying pilot
Possibly, but I think it's more likely due to safety concerns, for example losing the ability to maintain visual separation from other aircraft, which is impossible if you're a mile out and only seeing in the forward direction. Also avoiding obstacles like power lines.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest