DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you unfold your props everytime before starting motors?

Do you take the time to extend/unfold the props before starting motors?

• Yes

Votes: 155 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 82 34.6%

• Total voters
I usually don't unfold. I see no good reason to. I also use auto take-off most of the time.

I inspect the blades when folding them after a flight.
The software accounts for blades being folded. If you'll notice, when taking off the motors do a pre-spin before applying power for take off.

aww man are you serious?
Do you have any info on the pre-spin ;-)

Serious? Yes. The pre-spin is observable. Two short bursts to the motors, then they spin up to normal flying speed. Since the motors are controlled by software, well that's why I said that the software accounts for that. There is also the supposition that the pre-spin is intended to test for loose props. Either way, the two shorts bursts of power serve to open up the folded props prior to the application of full power.

I unfold it because when it's folded when I the start the motors the mp makes some jerk movements. I just what a smooth motor start for the safety of my mp :)

I alway unfold them, with three things in mind:
  1. It only takes me five seconds to do so.
  2. If there is a problem with the props, this is an extra chance to recognize it.
  3. There's a big unbalance before centrifugal force straighten the blades which creates unnecessary load at the motor bearings.
#3 is probably the most important over time

#3 is probably the most important over time

Respectfully, I disagree. I very much doubt that the tiny radial forces that exist for a fraction of a second during spin-up contribute at all to premature bearing wear.

Reactions: Geo
starting the motors with props folded causes them to vibrate badly for a second, shaking the entire craft
just like starting a heli with props not fully unfolded, this bad vibrations cant be good for the mavic

Naah - life is too short. The props do a great job of extending themselves, it's zero effort, so delegate.

starting the motors with props folded causes them to vibrate badly for a second, shaking the entire craft
just like starting a heli with props not fully unfolded, this bad vibrations cant be good for the mavic

It is not at all like starting a heli with the blades not fully unfolded, the Mavic shakes a little for only a fraction of a second. An unbalanced heli can shake violently for several seconds while spinning up, with the possibility of bending the main shaft or other problems.

While I agree that a folded spin-up can't be good for the Mavic, that does not mean that it is harmful to it. You could do some math and calculate the actual forces on the bearings, then compare that to the ratings of some generic similar sized bearings. I think you will find that the forces don't come close to anything that would cause problems.

Yes, failing to unfold the props will cause additional stress. That is certain, but the additional stress is insignificant. Actually flying the Mavic for a couple seconds will cause more wear and tear.

It is not at all like starting a heli with the blades not fully unfolded, the Mavic shakes a little for only a fraction of a second. An unbalanced heli can shake violently for several seconds while spinning up, with the possibility of bending the main shaft or other problems.

While I agree that a folded spin-up can't be good for the Mavic, that does not mean that it is harmful to it. You could do some math and calculate the actual forces on the bearings, then compare that to the ratings of some generic similar sized bearings. I think you will find that the forces don't come close to anything that would cause problems.

Yes, failing to unfold the props will cause additional stress. That is certain, but the additional stress is insignificant. Actually flying the Mavic for a couple seconds will cause more wear and tear.

so why add to that already stress of the flight the insignificant stress of the folded props
its about 2 seconds total to un-fold them
i think its plain lazyness

Reactions: Gp™
... why add to that already stress of the flight the insignificant stress of the folded props
its about 2 seconds total to un-fold them
i think its plain lazyness

Why? Because it is not necessary - there is no tangible benefit for me. The keyword here is "insignificant". To say it is "plain lazyness" in insulting. There are countless unnecessary things that people don't bother doing. It is not because they are lazy, it because those things don't need to be done. If it makes you feel better, or gives you more confidence in the Mavic, then by all means unfold the props manually. It is not a waste of time if you get some benefit out of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000