DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you unfold your props everytime before starting motors?

Do you take the time to extend/unfold the props before starting motors?

• Yes

Votes: 155 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 82 34.6%

• Total voters
My props always UN folded on start - even if I tried to trick it with any fold-up combination.
Now I usually give a casual part unfold but still makes no difference apart from the first revolution being a bit smoother.

Yes. It's part of my pre flight check. I can inspect each prop for damage and that there are no binds in the motors before takeoff.

Never once unfolded the props , plus it's cool to show off to your buddies how it can take flight from that position :)

Never once unfolded the props , plus it's cool to show off to your buddies how it can take flight from that position :)
Do you run your fingers down your props before a flight to see and feel if any nicks in them. I have never crashed but have had a nick in a blade. Once I changed them out I tried to break it and it broke very easy way easier then I thought it would.

I unfold them as straight as possible, when they are folded they will cause a greater vibration on the entire mavic as they unfold, including on the gimbal, don't want too much vibration for the gimbal

I un-fold, but I may be a little OCD. ;)
I can't find right now but it does say in the manual to un-fold before flight.
I try to prevent even the slightest ware and tear on my MP so makes sense to me, along with as said to inspect the blades.

I've seen someone lecture another poster for not "doing as the manual states" and unfolding the props before flight. I've read it in the manual, but if I recall correctly, even some of DJI's own tutorial/training videos show the MP being started with folded blades. I've yet to manually unfold them, and I've yet to see any issues.

I realize this is a dated thread and perhaps I'm being a bit redundant but it may help someone. I have never unfolded props, and until this morning, have never had an issue. I've used stock props, as well as carbon fiber props. This morning I fired it up with the carbon fiber props folded as I have on the last 50 or so flights, but this time all hell broke lose.

Apparently the props, when folded, can perhaps be over overlapped to an extent that the centrifugal force isn't enough to "unhook" the blades from each other. What ever the reason, the resulting out-of-balance issue caused the Mavic oscillate violently, skidding off my takeoff pad. It eventually slammed into a nearby chair, ripping two of the blades completely apart. I had the sticks in emergency shutdown position immediately, but the actual shutdown took way too long to avoid catastrophe. .

Fortunately there was no structural damage to the air frame or motors. In fact, I replaced all four props with stock and went for a test flight. No subsequent issues.

I feel the props can and will unfold automatically, providing they aren't overlapped. The carbon fiber blades are very rigid, therefore they can overlapped enough that the opposing force created between the overlapping blades is stronger than the centrifugal force needed to sling them into flight position.

IMHO, unfold

Update:

Lots of discussions regarding FW updating. Perhaps a FW to sense a prop stuck in unfolded position would be nice. It Could auto shutdown should a prop not unfold during startup.causing abdominal vibrations.

To have the system have quick look at the accelerameters for excessive and or erratic output caused by violent vibration shouldn't be all that complex.

Even in the unlikely even two opposing props failed, thus countering the vibration (very unlikely) that would result from just one prop failure, the attitude would still be reflected in the asselerometors During lift off in an unstable attitude

I guessing a few milliseconds would be all the time needed to detect an unfolded prop and initiate a shutdown. Much faster that what I was able to do using emergency shutdown. By then it was way to late to avoid making shrapnel our of my carbon fiber props.

Last edited:
I unfold and use the routine to examine the props for unusual wear, bug remains or pine pitch.

I also unfold. The Mavic came with carbon fiber props in the package. I noticed they are stiffer to unfold and why I do unfold them. But they seemed to produce more noise and I switched back to the stock. Just a habit now while I do a pre-flight check no matter what I'm using.

I unfold and use the routine to examine the props for unusual wear, bug remains or pine pitch.
Exactly, examining the props is a must do before every take off, even between flights.
Anyone not unfolding the props would not have checked them. Crash due to prop damage is pilot error.
Also, it saves the whole system from needless stress during startup.

Do you run your fingers down your props before a flight to see and feel if any nicks in them. I have never crashed but have had a nick in a blade. Once I changed them out I tried to break it and it broke very easy way easier then I thought it would.
I actually check/clean the props after a flight (obviously now they're unfolded) before I pack it away that way I know it's ready to go when I pull it out for the next flight , might be backwards but it works for me...

I actually check/clean the props after a flight (obviously now they're unfolded) before I pack it away that way I know it's ready to go when I pull it out for the next flight , might be backwards but it works for me...
So you check for safety afterwards? That's really odd. It will work for you until it stops doing that.
A prop can still have become damaged or partly unlocked while putting it in your bag. Or taking it out.

I agree. I think the high speed revs are to toss off a poorly fitted propeller before it getsinto the air.

Bud
The two high speed revs were mainly for the old school spin on props to ensure they were tight and secure on startup...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe