DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does M2Z supports 2x zoom in FullHD mode only?

Cypher123

Reactions
I got this from user manual:

on page 37 stay:

The Mavic 2 Zoom uses a 1/2.3" CMOS sensor camera, supports 2x optical zoom, and the lens is
24-48 mm (35 mm format equivalent). The camera supports auto focus, which can focus at 0.5 m to
infinity. The camera also supports replacing filters. The Mavic 2 Zoom camera shoots up to 4K30fps
video and 12-megapixel photos, supports shooting modes such as Single shot, Burst shooting, Interval,
Panorama, Slow motion and Enhanced HDR. Mavic 2 Zoom supports 2x optical zoom and 2x digital
zoom when recording video in 1080p24/25/30.

So what HDR for?
Is this some kind of joke or should I get hang myself immediately?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cmick1972
Additionally, you can do 2X digital zoom at 1080p. When combining digital and optical zoom together, it’s possible to get a 4X zoom or 96mm equivalent field-of-view. This is an insane amount of zoom for such a small drone. This is DJI’s first consumer drone to have a zoom lens and it’s the only consumer drone that shoots 4K with optical zoom.

Reactions: RZR12
Considering a 50mm lens on a 35mm (full frame) camera is considered normal, 28-96mm goes from wide angle to telephoto. Nice!

The M2Z has a 24mm-48mm (full-frame equivalent) 2X optical zoom, that's it, but it's available in every mode including 4K and still photo modes. That part is just the lens, so it's completely independent of what the sensor is up to. Note the lens is unfortunately also variable aperture, so zooming in mid-shot will make the maximum aperture fall from F2.8 to F3.8 which is less than ideal.

The 4X zoom mode they advertise has a maximum output of 1080P because after the 2X optical zoom is used up, they literally just crop 4K footage down to 1080P to give you an additional 2X digital 'zoom' (1080P output from a 4K source gives you about a 200% digital 'zoom'). The latter is possible with any camera or drone that can shoot in 4K and is not something special or exclusive to the M2Z, and it is not limited to those two resolutions either.

Reactions: Elude
The 4X zoom mode they advertise has a maximum output of 1080P because after the 2X optical zoom is used up, they literally just crop 4K footage down to 1080P to give you an additional 2X digital 'zoom' (1080P output from a 4K source gives you about a 200% digital 'zoom').

So, how they two combined sources, 2x optical and 2x digital, gonna keep lossless of data?

So, how they two combined sources, 2x optical and 2x digital, gonna keep lossless?

It's technically lossless because you're just cropping, you aren't compressing the image further or throwing away any data within the 1080P frame. The "digital" component of the zoom is literally taking 4K footage and cropping it to 1080P, which gives you that additional 2X zoom for a total of 4X (2X optical and 2X digital).

The digital portion of that zoom can be done with any drone/camera that can shoot 4K and is not a special feature, because it is literally just cropping.

It's "lossless" because the output resolution is set to 1080P if you want access to the 2X digital zoom, so even though the drone is shooting in 4K behind the scenes, you're never expecting more than 1080P.

Last edited:
... , because it is literally just cropping.
I see, it is like in the movie (by digitally restoration from celluloid) when you cropping aspect ratio from 4K: 3840×2160, when 4K is Original Aspect Ratio, to get expected FHD: 1920×1080 frame on the screen. :D

Last edited:
I see, it is like in the movie when you cropping aspect ratio from 4K: 3840×2160, when 4K is Original Aspect Ratio, to get expected FHD: 1920×1080 frame on the screen. :D

I am not sure I understand you correctly but this is a good illustration. See how you can fit four 1080P frames inside a 4K frame? When you use digital zoom on the M2Z, the drone is shooting in 4K even though your output resolution is only set to 1080P. That is what allows you to zoom up to 2X without throwing away any data from the 1080P output - it crops the 4K footage down to 1080P giving you a narrower field of view, which has the visual effect of a "zoom".

4k-vs-1080p.jpg

There's one thing wrong with the 4K/1080P picture above when explaining the zoom. OK, two things. Both of those images show the same exact picture, so there's no actual zoom there. The zoom effect comes about because you take only the center portion of the frame and then blow it up to whatever screen size you're using to view it. You "lose" all of the outer data, much like you would if you zoomed in. The 1080P picture should show the center portion of the 4K picture at its existing size. You can fit four 1080P's in a 4K, but the "zoom" works by just taking one of these 1080P sized boxes in the center and ignores all the picture outside of it. I don't think it's any different than simply cropping later.

There's one thing wrong with the 4K/1080P picture above when explaining the zoom. OK, two things. Both of those images show the same exact picture, so there's no actual zoom there. The zoom effect comes about because you take only the center portion of the frame and then blow it up to whatever screen size you're using to view it. You "lose" all of the outer data, much like you would if you zoomed in. The 1080P picture should show the center portion of the 4K picture at its existing size. You can fit four 1080P's in a 4K, but the "zoom" works by just taking one of these 1080P sized boxes in the center and ignores all the picture outside of it. I don't think it's any different than simply cropping later.

The purpose of the photo was to show how 4 1080P frames fit into a 4K frame. The rest of what you mention was described in detail in my previous posts - if it was not clear I apologize. It is literally a crop from the 4K frame (with the drone set to output 1080P), so it doesn't even have to be the center portion to apply, as you can perform the same function with any drone/camera that shoots 4K. The 4X zoom is mostly just a gimmick - it does the "zooming" for you, but you give up control over where you'd like to perform the crop within the frame.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23