DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dress For Success

jpbluzharp

Reactions
After being stopped by a DEP officer while flying.. I thought long and hard about ways to prevent that... "Dress For Success" came to mind. With all the Nervous Nellies out there calling the local constables about "somebody flying a drone".. why not look official? I went yesterday in very windy but clear conditions to shoot a hotel that's waiting for the wrecking ball and a new Lowe's to take its place. Rather than risk someone getting suspicious, I made myself as obvious as possible. I donned a florescent yellow construction worker's vest and a white hard hat... Began shooting without a single problem or odd encounter! In fact, there were two people on site marking areas with balloons to measure sight lines for future signs.. They came over and introduced themselves thinking I was part of a different crew.

I'd imagine this will be part of my future routine. If any questions are asked the best reply would be that we're ensuring our safety by making ourselves as obvious as possible thereby preventing unwitting drivers from hitting us. I also think it will cut down on the calls to the police about "suspicious guys with drones". I don't know about you but florescent yellow doesn't exactly spell sneaky to me. Usually the worst you could expect from someone in that outfit would be an unsightly "plumbers butt" or perhaps a verse or so of "Y-M-C-A".

Fly Safe.
JP

As I said, it was too windy for really smooth shots but the unsteadiness lent itself to some suspense.

And for a more realistic 50's kind of thriller feel

Last edited:
Welcome to DronePilots newest forum .:)

Reactions: jpbluzharp
This topic has come up in the past and some other members do the same. Hiding in plain sight you might say. :)

The footage in your video is interesting, especially since you have documented something that will soon be gone, but the music... just not feeling the music. I feel it would have more impact with a different soundtrack. Just one man's opinion. :D

Music is from the forties.. kind of tongue in cheek you might say.

Think fifties/sixties thriller

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Too
agree that i like the footage not the music.

On the other note i have to wear a huge hi vis jacket for work and often i stop toi fly on the way in.

The other day i just knew someone had called the police even though i was in a huge park at 11am with no one in it except two dog walkers. behind me was a housing estate and i was sat on a bench at the start of the park, where i can be seen quite easily from the housing estate. Its a place i know well as i lived there for a few years. It has space to play around in sports mode for some fun.

So the Police came just as i was packing up and walking back to the car. They stopped looked around the fields from their car, Then they spotted me walking back to my car, looked me over as i was putting the drone away then just drove off.

i also have to wear official ID and passes hanging round my neck etc.

Would you say the concern, prior to your deep cover, was more a peeping tom or terrorist or other?

After being stopped by a DEP officer while flying.. I thought long and hard about ways to prevent that... "Dress For Success" came to mind. With all the Nervous Nellies out there calling the local constables about "somebody flying a drone".. why not look official? I went yesterday in very windy but clear conditions to shoot a hotel that's waiting for the wrecking ball and a new Lowe's to take its place. Rather than risk someone getting suspicious, I made myself as obvious as possible. I donned a florescent yellow construction worker's vest and a white hard hat... Began shooting without a single problem or odd encounter! In fact, there were two people on site marking areas with balloons to measure sight lines for future signs.. They came over and introduced themselves thinking I was part of a different crew.

I'd imagine this will be part of my future routine. If any questions are asked the best reply would be that we're ensuring our safety by making ourselves as obvious as possible thereby preventing unwitting drivers from hitting us. I also think it will cut down on the calls to the police about "suspicious guys with drones". I don't know about you but florescent yellow doesn't exactly spell sneaky to me. Usually the worst you could expect from someone in that outfit would be an unsightly "plumbers butt" or perhaps a verse or so of "Y-M-C-A".

Fly Safe.
JP

As I said, it was too windy for really smooth shots but the unsteadiness lent itself to some suspense.
And carry a clipboard, always carry a clipboard; I use one of those metal jobs that has a compartment underneath and I often wear a lanyard around my neck with a piece of plastic, does not matter what it sez.
Regards,
-d.

Would you say the concern, prior to your deep cover, was more a peeping tom or terrorist or other?
Who knows? Some people just get freaked out by cameras, drones, you name it. Most of my encounters thus far have involved really positive, curious people eager to find out about how drones work.

Frequently the cops are responding to a call from somebody who's worried due perhaps to a recent surge in fear mongering by certain politicians...

If it will make it easier to shoot... hell, I'll wear a gorilla suit.

Last edited:
agree that i like the footage not the music.

On the other note i have to wear a huge hi vis jacket for work and often i stop toi fly on the way in.

The other day i just knew someone had called the police even though i was in a huge park at 11am with no one in it except two dog walkers. behind me was a housing estate and i was sat on a bench at the start of the park, where i can be seen quite easily from the housing estate. Its a place i know well as i lived there for a few years. It has space to play around in sports mode for some fun.

So the Police came just as i was packing up and walking back to the car. They stopped looked around the fields from their car, Then they spotted me walking back to my car, looked me over as i was putting the drone away then just drove off.

i also have to wear official ID and passes hanging round my neck etc.

The music is a little joke... think psycho "The Bates Motel" etc... Very tongue in cheek over the top suspense..

Successfully employed my "Village People" vest and construction hat to film a scenic dam in Croton NY. Got there a little too late for golden hour but still had to take advantage of the hypnotic power and beauty of surging water.. No music necessary sometimes.. just a reminder for my friends to enjoy a peaceful end of the weekend.

It's ridiculous that people make such a big deal out of these things. I mean if someone ops hovering over someone's land checking out women in a pool or something that makes sense but most people do not, some people just get offended and bothered by anything I guess.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR