DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Driving from New York to Boston .. where can i fly?

Spy_Corfu

Reactions
i will be driving from New York to Boston taking 2 days to get there with my family during Christmas time and i will have my mavic with 3 batteries with me and was hoping to get some nice shots wherever its possible without getting into any trouble.
I know there is an app to help identify permitted places i can fly but does it include national parks also etc..
I was hoping to fly the mavic from parking spaces next to the beach along the way and fly it over the sea to get a nice shot of the surroundings.
For example would i be able to film mystic? would i be able to fly it from a parking space over there without flying over the houses of course just above the river/sea.
I will be staying in Newport and will visit the big estates like the breakers but unfortunately there are very specific with the ban on drones.. "not even with mobile phone control" so total ban on any size and type and also they specify that its not allowed to fly above their grounds from any other place..
Do you think it would be ok again to fly over the rocks/sea and make sure i don't fly over their private grounds?
I will be staying in Brooklyn so any places drones are permitted to get a nice view of Statue of Liberty or Manhattan or is it a total no no?
What about Boston?
Towards the end of my holidays i will be driving back along the Hudson River which i hope it is going to be ok to fly over there weather permitting of course!
It would be nice if someone has equally flown at those places or leaves there to give me some tips.
thanks!

Use Airmap.IO.

Make sure you are not in restricted airspace, (contact airport within five miles).

The airport density in the area you speak of is pretty dense, but there are always holes here and there.

No one has the right to prevent you from federally permitted airspace, only takeoff and landing.

Fly, and enjoy. I know that's getting easier said than done.

Yes easier said than done!
In theory there is the dji app which makes sure you cannot take off near airports or restricted air space in the first place.
Also there is the official app from the faa which I don't remember the name with all the airspace restrictions so I should be ok

Yes easier said than done!
In theory there is the dji app which makes sure you cannot take off near airports or restricted air space in the first place.
Also there is the official app from the faa which I don't remember the name with all the airspace restrictions so I should be ok
Knowbeforeyoufly.org

It's true that DJI app won't allow you to fly the mavic. But download Kittyhawk. It will give you a lot of info on pre flight details. Hope this helps

I think that flying close to the coast line and above a beach and fly up vertically and towards the sea should allow me to film nice shots of places like newport and mystic without being told off by anyone.
Even if there is a national park nearby as long as you dont fly inside their airspace it should be ok.
Big cities of course is a no go, unless again there is somewhere next to the sea? Unless there is an airport nearby in which case the mavic will not start in any case.
Would i be able to fly it from anywhere near Brooklyn Heights?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998