DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone antagonism experienced - anyone else?

Lyndon5

Reactions
I’ve had my Mavic Pro drone for less than a year - and never thought much about them before I received mine as a 70th birthday gift, but, surprisingly, I have found my friends are quite critical of them.

I absolutely love flying it and think drones are magnificent photographic tools, exciting IRL “video game” racers and a fun way of extending your personal horizons and viewpoints. But, whenever I bring up the subject of drones, most people seem quite negative: they emphasise the invasion of privacy, the annoying noise, the reports of people shutting down airports with them, and more.

Admittedly, most of my acquaintances are “old” - and most of us old people :) are more conservative and curmudgeonly than younger people :) - but still - I’m a bit nonplussed by the general negativity about drones. It surprises me.

Do you experience this also?

it is mainly a lack of knowledge by the general public of the reality of what a drone and drone flying is ,also the negative reaction you have come across is a result of biased media coverage of drones, yes they can be used for unlawful purposes but so can vehicles, aircraft, and other forms of transport. when i have been approached by older people while out flying and they have seen what the screen device shows, they are amazed at the view that the drone has, and also they can see that their faces are unrecognisable in the pictures, hopefully they will take that experience away with them, and share it with others when the subject is raised

I'm 32, and I recall a time when skateboards were considered a nuisance with laws being passed and signs going up in as rapid a pace as we see anti-drone stuff today. I am sensitive to concerns about privacy and noise.

When I fly at public parks where there are no signs, I ask a cop or bystander, letting them know what my intentions are, that I am FAA-certified, and they are welcome to look over my shoulder.

What I usually say to 'objectors' is that if I flew my drone close enough to them to invade their privacy - they would be able to knock it out of the sky with a broom

I tend to get more people who are interested than annoyed but you get some who just can’t stand anyone having fun.
I can arrive at a destination that is completely deserted but as soon as I take off people arrive as if by magic & all the questions start.
I wish I had bought the t shirt that had this printed on it – Yes its a drone, Yes it was expensive, No you can’t fly it.

All anyone can really do is to follow the rules and regulations concerning UAV operation and fly responsibly. If everyone does their small part then as a whole people will slowly start to realize how useful these marvels of technology can be, not to mention how much fun they can be to operate. I personally feel that anyone who is active in and enjoys this hobby should become a member of the AMA. They are some of the best and biggest advocates we have to help keep this hobby we all hold dear protected. Not to mention the large liability insurance policy that automatically comes with membership. They are truly the best collective voice we have as model aviation enthusiasts. Fly safe and fly often!

Reactions: Rockycat
When I fly at public parks where there are no signs, I ask a cop or bystander, letting them know what my intentions are, that I am FAA-certified, and they are welcome to look over my shoulder.
FAA Certified or FAA Registered? If you say FAA Certified, do they ask for your PART 107 Certification and ask if the flight is recreational or professional/business (with filed flight plan). Most LEO's don't know the law so I'm curious as to their reactions to FAA-Certified.

I have received many Thumbswayup and not one ?. I believe your flying etiquette has a lot to do with the public response. Perhaps if your acquaintances actually saw it fly they would change their opinion.

Like so many things in life the press loves to sensationalize the negative aspects of it. That is what sells. So, the general public is influenced by the press coverage and believes what they read. Unfortunately, it only takes a few that abuse the sport to create a negative public opinion of the entire segment that flies drones. They see sensationalized news coverage of one idiot who flies their drone to spy on their neighbor and they assume everybody is spying on neighbors.

IMHO I feel as a responsible pilot it is not only my obligation to fly the drone legally but also to help educate the public about the sport and alleviate the concerns.

FAA Certified or FAA Registered? If you say FAA Certified, do they ask for your PART 107 Certification and ask if the flight is recreational or professional/business (with filed flight plan). Most LEO's don't know the law so I'm curious as to their reactions to FAA-Certified.
I say I am FAA-certified (Part 107). I haven't had an encounter with a cop yet, but I do intend on offering my ID if asked.

I'm not as senior as some people here as I'm only 63 years old. My two great passions are boating and photography. Last winter I had two falls, the last one saw me laid up with severe bruising and concussion. Scrambling over rocks to get that special picture is getting a little dodgy for me. It was my wifes idea to get a drone. Send that in to get the pictures instead of you, she says (demands). So I did get a drone. M2Pro. I love it. Got some great footage, but had to spend another 2k for a commuter to get leverage on HEVC H.265 stuff. I'm delighted to stay relatively out of harms way and still enjoy what I love doing most. Pics and boats. :)

Reactions from others have mainly been positive. I have a friend who is like me a retired airline pilot, and he does not like drones, yet still finds them fascinating. Even has asked me to photograph his boat. Yup, nowt so strange as folk. Now, I live in a remote part of the country and my neighbours have been very supportive. Having explained that a drone is not just a toy, but a serious tool for farmers. Two of my neighbours have seen demo flights on my own land, and one came back to ask if I would search an area for three missing animals, gone for over 10 days. I found them inside 10 mins using the drone. Great success? No, not this time, all three had died. I can never get used to this side of farming I'm afraid. However people local to me love the idea that I have a drone, and that I'm prepared to help out with it.

Im finding that there are more and more seniors takeing up drone flying, and quite rightly so. To outsiders it might seem pointless, but its no different to being a PPL (thats how I started) Its just another way to fly.

That's my story

So lets have some more guys down here flying drones up there.

;-)
Haggar

I'm 32, and I recall a time when skateboards were considered a nuisance with laws being passed and signs going up in as rapid a pace...

LOL! I felt & still think 4-wheelers, snowmobiles & ski-doos should have been prevented before they became popular. Noisy 4-wheelers tear up the woods (have you ever seen a 4-wheeler going slow & quiet?); snowmobiles harass wildlife at a very difficult time of the year (have you ever seen a snowmobile going slow & quiet?); ski doo owners generally do not observe 'no wake' zones & come to close to boats to jump their wakes. Now I wish I had bought some stock in all those toys back then!... IMHO !...

I’ve had my Mavic Pro drone for less than a year - and never thought much about them before I received mine as a 70th birthday gift, but, surprisingly, I have found my friends are quite critical of them.

I absolutely love flying it and think drones are magnificent photographic tools, exciting IRL “video game” racers and a fun way of extending your personal horizons and viewpoints. But, whenever I bring up the subject of drones, most people seem quite negative: they emphasise the invasion of privacy, the annoying noise, the reports of people shutting down airports with them, and more.

Admittedly, most of my acquaintances are “old” - and most of us old people :) are more conservative and curmudgeonly than younger people :) - but still - I’m a bit nonplussed by the general negativity about drones. It surprises me.

Do you experience this also?

Drone Envy - it happens to all men at some time

A friend of mine and I often go to a park to fly our drones over the water. We get nasty comments from time to time. One woman walked by my friend and said "way to enjoy nature dude!" We just looked at each other, the water treatment plant borders that park and now and again the smell will waft over. A very loud train goes by several times an hour. There are many screaming children playing on the jungle gyms, people have their boom boxes going. We ARE able to enjoy nature by flying and seeing the world through new eyes and perspectives. Mostly, I think because it is new and they've heard a few things, they are going to exercise their right to express ignorance in a haughty manner. Oh well. Most people come over and say wow can I see what you are doing?

ps high 5 to you flying at 70! I'm 68 and female, going to test for Part 107 in 2 weeks.

a little story you might like,as i have mentioned before on the forum i fly quite a lot at a local memorial park that covers several acres and differing levels and ground cover,there are many paths that crisscross the area and also plenty of woodland,all in all a nice place to be
on one of the few nice days at the end of last year, i was up there flying and i watched as a lady walking her dog stood about 20ft from me watching me flying,while her dog proceeded to do what dogs all do and leave a little present on the ground, i thought no problem she will get her doggy poo bag and pick it up and put it in one of the many bins dotted about the park,
but no such luck she looked down at her dog said good dog and started to walk towards me ,as she got level she made a comment about those things should be banned from this park spying on people,i turned to face her and said ( actually i am helping the park wardens catch people who do not pick up there dog poo ,when i am finished i show them the footage of any one who does not pick it up) i then turned back to my drone and proceeded to land ,but the best part was the sight of the women picking up the dog poo she had left before,i am on very good terms with the wardens and i related the story to them and we all had a good laugh

a little story you might like,as i have mentioned before on the forum i fly quite a lot at a local memorial park that covers several acres and differing levels and ground cover,there are many paths that crisscross the area and also plenty of woodland,all in all a nice place to be
on one of the few nice days at the end of last year, i was up there flying and i watched as a lady walking her dog stood about 20ft from me watching me flying,while her dog proceeded to do what dogs all do and leave a little present on the ground, i thought no problem she will get her doggy poo bag and pick it up and put it in one of the many bins dotted about the park,
but no such luck she looked down at her dog said good dog and started to walk towards me ,as she got level she made a comment about those things should be banned from this park spying on people,i turned to face her and said ( actually i am helping the park wardens catch people who do not pick up there dog poo ,when i am finished i show them the footage of any one who does not pick it up) i then turned back to my drone and proceeded to land ,but the best part was the sight of the women picking up the dog poo she had left before,i am on very good terms with the wardens and i related the story to them and we all had a good laugh
Good job! Compensated? Perks?

Good job! Compensated? Perks?
i know i was completely out of order really,i normally don't take any notice of such comments and just carry on flying but i had actually stepped in some dog poo at another part of the park where i had been flying earlier and revenge was sweet

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky