DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone confiscation question...Nicaragua

Castafari

Reactions
My drone got confiscated while going through customs last Thursday in Managua Airport Nicaragua. They gave me a receipt and note that was stamped saying I could receive the Drone when exiting the country from customs after paying a storage fee. When I went back to the customs office this morning to retrieve my drone they told me that the supervisor needed to be present in order to give me permission even though I had my paperwork. I had to fly out without it after spending several hours talking to 4 different people in three different offices. The paperwork I have clearly states that the Drone was to be given back to me when exiting the country so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing or knows any helpful information. Thanks!

Reactions: wisesafe
Assuming you are not going back anytime soon to try and re-claim it, Report it as stolen.

You could try to contact them via mail/phone, but most likely it'll just be a waist of your time.

Reactions: JeanVos
"And did you see the perpertrator Sir?"
"Yep, that dude in the uniform over there.".........

Customs is not the same as the police. Also the OP is not in Nicaragua anymore, so he would have to contact the Nicaragua police from back home to file a report i guess. Only worth it if he wants to claim the loss on his insurance and the insurance needs the police report.

unfortunately, as far as I know, DJI does not do anything to block or locate "stolen" drones.

Reactions: Filipok
My drone got confiscated while going through customs last Thursday in Managua Airport Nicaragua. They gave me a receipt and note that was stamped saying I could receive the Drone when exiting the country from customs after paying a storage fee. When I went back to the customs office this morning to retrieve my drone they told me that the supervisor needed to be present in order to give me permission even though I had my paperwork. I had to fly out without it after spending several hours talking to 4 different people in three different offices. The paperwork I have clearly states that the Drone was to be given back to me when exiting the country so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing or knows any helpful information. Thanks!
As a matter of interest was the drone in your hand luggage or was it checked? I was recently in Colombia and took my Mavic in and out of airports several times it was in my hand luggage and it was never once queried.

Reactions: JeanVos
As a matter of interest was the drone in your hand luggage or was it checked? I was recently in Colombia and took my Mavic in and out of airports several times it was in my hand luggage and it was never once queried.

It was in my hand luggage but they x-ray everything in Nicaragua. I've been there twice on fishing excursions. I'm pretty much convinced they ripped me off as the person who was in charge was conveniently not around the day I departed. I contacted the American embassy and they said it's useless to try and get it back unless I go down there in person which I'm not going to do .I would not advise bringing a drone to Nicaragua as they are strictly banned. The embassy informed me that I am one of several cases of having a drone taken away at that airport. Too bad DJI doesnt have a way to ttack it or disable it. That really surprises me, and will factor in on my next purchase!

I'm very sorry that happened to your drone.
For sure this will serve as a heads up for those who will head to that Country.

• Love
Reactions: Filipok and GlenS
I wouldn't have let it off so easily. You're not supposed to let vermin take your things away from you like that

We should all be very careful about international travel with our drones. I am afraid that in most countries which do not allow them, if separated on entry, it will be your last time to see it.

Reactions: macoman
I've traveled for years with "weird" equipment (scuba, cameras with multiple lens/batteries, kitesurf, ski gear) and it was more about getting around the extra fees for size/weight. I've only traveled with my drone in the US, no problem. This thread made me think since I'm going to Mexico next month (I think I'll mix the remote, batteries and AC in with my scuba stuff!)

I found this website, kind of makes me think maybe we aren't that over-regulated here in the US compared to other countries!

This Map Shows You The Drone Laws For Every Country In The World (Updated Regularly)

Sounds like corruption. You should have slipped a $20 underneath the paperwork. It sounds bad but sometimes a neccasary evil. There is no way that admin can be there 24/7.

I fortunately got mine in a couple of hours ago. They definitely scan all your bags. I was coming from El Salvador and hadn't looked up the laws until last night. Haven't decided if I'll actually fly it here. Probably not as they sound pretty serious about their drone laws.

Hi guys, just thought I would through out a quick question and get your thoughts. We are taking a long trip next year to Costa Rica using a travel tour group. We fly into Costa Rica but we will drive into Nicaragua at the end of the tour and fly back to the US from there. Do you think I will run into problems with the drone as i am leaving the country?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead