DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Customs Issue (INDIA)

Flying a drone in India is very risky. I was detained and interrogated near Rishikesh two years ago for using one, outside city limits in a low-populated area, before many drone laws were established there. Spending 5 hours at a police station in India was not fun. Locals will often call the police if they see you flying. They also have the right to confiscate a drone at the airport if they find it.

I agree, But if you are flying in isolated area, no one has rights to touch you. Since you are not flying over humans or private property. I had faced many such situations with villagers, but I follow a strategy of showing kindness and showing them the technology and its benefits to their children's, befriend them and survive ;)

I would and try to fine one in the country already there's a very good chance it will be picked up in customs
and it needs to be packed just right in your or him carry on. the battery needs to be in bag and the contacts need
to have tape on them. SO it's going to be check leaving the US and again in India

I really want to take my drone, just so i don't have to send it back home at great cost. But then i don't want to be found with the drone and that cost me money/time/stress... I've seen lots of drone video on Instagram and FB from India, so some people must get away with it, but I'm not prepared to try. Perhaps we should have a poll to see the % that are successful and unsuccessful getting it into the country! I fly into Cochin soon but haven't made my mind up yet.

Just try a get a drone there and leave it with a friend so you have one there when you go back. Is it worth lousing your drone, fine, jail
or both. That would not make for a good vacation.

A quick check of india times will show plenty of examples of drone pilots being arrested, including a guy from the US near a tourist hotspot and two india nationals in Mumbai practising for a film shoot. I'm travelling to India end of next week and have tried to contact the DGCA and various other related departments without luck so not worth taking it.

In terms of getting through customs they do x-ray hold and hand luggage before exiting baggage claim and entering arrivals at most airports but they tend to wave westerners through. I have heard of drones being confiscated at the airport so its a risk. But obviously the guy in the US got one through and the rule is about flight not owning one so you can argue your case if caught and explain you know the rules and will get permission etc.

Good luck with the DGAC!
I had to do my Indian air law exam (flight crew) in New Delhi and wasn't impressed with the department at all.

Operating versus owning a drone are two different things.
Have you checked the rules of the air on their web site? If there is no clear direction on drone use then the rule of law may be difficult to uphold.

Good luck.

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased Mavic pro (Fly-less) and my friend will be carrying it with him back to India.

Did someone from here carried their mavic pro back to India?

Flying drone is banned in India, Hence I am wondering how to clear the customs at the airport.

I have not used the drone yet, I will be flying this in India
I am worried about customs and my drone getting confiscated at the airport.

Check this link out regarding drone flying in India.

The Indian government is finally taking drones seriously

Good luck with the DGAC!
I had to do my Indian air law exam (flight crew) in New Delhi and wasn't impressed with the department at all.

Operating versus owning a drone are two different things.
Have you checked the rules of the air on their web site? If there is no clear direction on drone use then the rule of law may be difficult to uphold.

Good luck.

Uh, like I said, I didn't get any luck so didn't bother back last year. Their draft policy released recently is not much better. Not going to get that Indian flag on my flight record for a while! Never mind, plenty more countries on the planet!

I will be going to kerala from Abu Dhabi for 10 days. i wanted to know what are the formalities to get through customs legally and get permits for flyng my drone for hobby purposes.

I read some online articles and saw that the regulations are based on categories, and drones are categoriesed on the basis of their weight. The Mavic air is arround 450g. So i guess it falls under micro.

Now all i want to know is the procedures for getting through customs and getting a permit to fly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J