DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mereflyer

Reactions
Hi to All wannabe drone fisherpersons!!

Here's a very simple way to take a fishing line to a likely fishing patch inaccessible by normal casting!

The attached pictures tell the story, so wont bore with too many details.

Just bend up some stainless brazing rod - (from local welding supplies shop)- to the shape and dimensions to suit your drone similar to the one shown.

Cover with heat shrink if desired. Attach to drone - Make sure to remove after use, before attempting to fold arms....(Repeat)

I have actually tried this and it does really work OK. Just make sure "sufficient" line flows easily from rod or reel. Use commonsense.

When drone is over the fishing spot. rotate drone 180 degrees (camera points back to you) fishing line loop drops off (or motor away from line) Rinse, repeat until time to change battery!!

Enjoy and welcome to any feedback!

Cheers - mereflyer Fishing hook attached Mavic in flight.jpgClose up Mavic Fishing hook attachment.jpgFishing hook attached to Mavic.jpgStainless brazing wire bent to carry fishing line to patch.jpg

Disclaimer:
This info supplied as is - for your enjoyment only!
Be careful and you should have no problems.
No responsibility accepted for any incidents related to this article.

Last edited:

Here's a very simple way to take a fishing line to a likely fishing patch inaccessible by normal casting!

Just bend up some stainless brazing rod - (from local welding supplies shop)- to the shape and dimensions to suit your drone similar to the one shown.

Cover with heat shrink if desired. Attach to drone - Make sure to remove after use, before attempting to fold arms....(Repeat)

I have actually tried this and it does really work OK. Just make sure "sufficient" line flows easily from rod or reel. Use commonsense.

When drone is over the fishing spot. rotate drone 180 degrees (camera points back to you) fishing line loop drops off (or motor away from line) Rinse, repeat until time to change battery!!

Cheers - Mereflyer View attachment 89052View attachment 89051View attachment 89049View attachment 89048

Disclaimer:
All good! Only thing I don’t like is that if you get snagged later, it leaves a loop of line that can catch animals down the track. I was wondering if there is a way to do the same thing with a slot, and use a ball (pea sinker, swivel) or I guess just make sure the loop is really small?

Reactions: mereflyer
All good! Only thing I don’t like is that if you get snagged later, it leaves a loop of line that can catch animals down the track. I was wondering if there is a way to do the same thing with a slot, and use a ball (pea sinker, swivel) or I guess just make sure the loop is really small?

Thanks for the suggestion Davros
Yes make loop small, but enough to slide off easily.
As stated above, I have tried this and it works like a dream.
Easily carried 1/2 oz sinker, 2 baited hooks.
Fisherman takes over when line dropped into patch, drone returns to carry out next drop etc All good fun!

Thanks for the suggestion Davros
Yes make loop small, but enough to slide off easily.
As stated above, I have tried this and it works like a dream.
Easily carried 1/2 oz sinker, 2 baited hooks.
Fisherman takes over when line dropped into patch, drone returns to carry out next drop etc All good fun!
I want to try this out - pity it can’t pull marron nets (freshwater crayfish) for me too! Illegal to use a boat... but a drone?

I use mine to find bait pods, rip currents, weed lines, and birds but never to carry line. To each their own but this is too risky for my blood.

Reactions: QuadCopterAce
If your a good dronefisher, some people might be interested in your capabillities, as far they have lost their drones flying over water.

If your a good dronefisher, some people might be interested in your capabillities, as far they have lost their drones flying over water.
Thanks for the suggestion, Yes I think it could work if the weight was not beyond the lifting ability of the drone!

Cheers - mereflyer View attachment 89052View attachment 89051View attachment 89049View attachment 89048

Disclaimer:
Nice instructions for various low cost drops- Some may want to keep in mind though that drone assisted fishing and wildlife hunting is becoming illegal in some states. So far, Michigan and Oregon have prohibited drone assisted fishing, and others have prohibited wildlife hunting (direct hunting and also game searches and driving wildlife with drones):

Nice instructions for various low cost drops- Some may want to keep in mind though that drone assisted fishing and wildlife hunting is becoming illegal in some states. So far, Michigan and Oregon have prohibited drone assisted fishing, and others have prohibited wildlife hunting (direct hunting and also game searches and driving wildlife with drones):

Seems, no matter what we do to improve our enjoyment of life, there will always be some new rules and regulations to take away the fun. I say "Ban the Fun Police" and just let us enjoy life!

Reactions: pelagic_one
We’ve been doing something similar for the last couple years when we take the 75 ft boat down to Mexico for the summer. It’s great having a company to write off the expenses! We have the helium kite too, we get a lot of strikes with the kite. While the kites up we launch the drone and put another hook where the school is. It’s definitely a hand launch and capture and a lot of wind. Been doing it with a platinum.

this is exactly the info the information I needed,
I have 1/8 and 3/32 inch aluminum weld rods. it will be perfect.
Thanks OP.

this is exactly the info the information I needed,
I have 1/8 and 3/32 inch aluminum weld rods. it will be perfect.
Thanks OP.
Just maybe those aluminium rods may interfere with the radio or video receptions. I use 1.6mm stainless brazing rod, less likely to interfere.
Also very malleable for the sharp bends needed, maybe the aluminium will crack with tight bends, but try it and see... good Luck!

I watched a YouTube video from 51 Drones that shows the amount of weight a Mini, Air and Pro could lift and carry, it wasn't very much! I would really be afraid I'd lose my drone IF I hooked a large hard fighting fish (insert large mouth bass). OR, I would be equally afraid if I were to get a snag. I would be swimming out to save my drone :)

Reactions: QuadCopterAce
I watched a YouTube video from 51 Drones that shows the amount of weight a Mini, Air and Pro could lift and carry, it wasn't very much! I would really be afraid I'd lose my drone IF I hooked a large hard fighting fish (insert large mouth bass). OR, I would be equally afraid if I were to get a snag. I would be swimming out to save my drone :)
Sorry for the confusion here, the idea of my hook is simply to take the fishing line out for a land based fisherman and drop it into a suitable fishing spot normally not available because of distance or other obstructions (rocks etc) for the land based fisherman.

The line once released from the drone is then totally controlled by the fisherman - (not attached at all to the drone!!) So no fear of any weight on the drone once the line is released.

Pilot can then return the drone, to repeat the same task for another fisherman if necessary!
Quite simple really and very easy and fun to do!

Sorry for the confusion here, the idea of my hook is simply to take the fishing line out for a land based fisherman and drop it into a suitable fishing spot normally not available because of distance or other obstructions (rocks etc) for the land based fisherman.

The line once released from the drone is then totally controlled by the fisherman - (not attached at all to the drone!!) So no fear of any weight on the drone once the line is released.

Pilot can then return the drone, to repeat the same task for another fisherman if necessary!
Quite simple really and very easy and fun to do!

Ahhh, I like this idea :) thanks for explaining this better to me, I may not have comprehended what you were saying.
Thanks again

Mine should be here any day.
I just ordered this kit today. I will be moving back to Florida in the future and I have a couple friends that knows guys that do the bait drops with there drones. While I'm here at my older brother and sister in laws I will go to the lake and practice dropping with my MPP and my saltwater rods.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS