DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone for child recommendation

I have two daughters, 9 & 13. I'd like to get them started flying. I'm seeking recommendations for an inexpensive solution that can be flown inside and outdoors. Any suggestions?
Well couple of issues. Any drone that would be acceptable for a beginner to fly inside is notably not a very good drone to fly outside. Any drone that is good to fly outside is notably not a good drone for a beginner to fly inside. It’s just a size and power issue. Truth is that it is very hard to fly indoors even for seasoned pilots so you will indubitably have crashes.

The Tello is a fun little drone to fly inside and can fly a little outside in very still air but it can’t go far and doesn’t rely on GPS so no return to home capability. That’s the cheapest smallest drone that I’ve used that I wouldn’t consider absolute garbage. But even that little guy can do some damage indoors so I certainly wouldn’t go bigger for indoor use.

Reactions: dougstroud
I have two daughters, 9 & 13. I'd like to get them started flying. I'm seeking recommendations for an inexpensive solution that can be flown inside and outdoors. Any suggestions?
Hi,
I would start with something tougher than a DJI drone. DJI is good, but you should probably get a "toy" like drone. A big box store may have something for kids, starting out.
At the end of the day, it's up to you and the inspiring pilots.

I'd be inclined to go with a Mavic Mini or a Mini 2 and attach original DJI prop guard indoors. Toy drones, or what I call toy drones, have very limited battery life (frustrating), and nine times out of 10 I crashed them indoors, (no inherent stabilisation).
Plus those with toy drones with 'press on to a spindle' props tended to lose props because the props can literally fly off the spindle.

A Mavic Mini is probably now cheap enough second hand to get two and would give them a chance to fly proper flights out of doors with Dad.
Indoors in well lit rooms the VPS allows position holding and braking, the prop guards should keep your girls safe unless they stick their finger through the 'mesh' and, for that matter, I have had a direct prop strike on the side of a finger when I tried to grab a flying Mavic Mini that I had given too much stick to, it hurt but didn't cut.

I'd be inclined to go with a Mavic Mini or a Mini 2 and attach original DJI prop guard indoors. Toy drones, or what I call toy drones, have very limited battery life (frustrating), and nine times out of 10 I crashed them indoors, (no inherent stabilisation).
Plus those with toy drones with 'press on to a spindle' props tended to lose props because the props can literally fly off the spindle.

A Mavic Mini is probably now cheap enough second hand to get two and would give them a chance to fly proper flights out of doors with Dad.
Indoors in well lit rooms the VPS allows position holding and braking, the prop guards should keep your girls safe unless they stick their finger through the 'mesh' and, for that matter, I have had a direct prop strike on the side of a finger when I tried to grab a flying Mavic Mini that I had given too much stick to, it hurt but didn't cut.
Cool. The mini can definitely handle outside conditions!

A Tello is an easy drone to set up and fly using just a phone and is a good drone for indoors. But having a 9 year old granddaughter and her having a twelvish year old friend my guess that they both would be board in a day with the Tello outside. From what I have seen on the Mini SE it has decent range and a decent camera so you may be able to get them interested in both flying and videos and/or picture taking. And in todays world and the teck of the mini neither one of them should have a problem flying it.

Drones are easy to fly. Supervise their flying and solo them as you would with an aircraft. Buy the best possible drone your finances allow. learning is impossible with junk.

What are the legal issues with children so young flying? Up here you'd be OK with a sub-250 g drone, but they'd have to be older to fly anything heavier.

I have a Tello that works well inside. The prop guards do very little, but I got a cage that works well. Sucks for outside.

A cheap second-hand mini (of any vintage) would work well for outside.

I can't believe people are recommending any DJI drone but the Tello for kids flying indoors.

a Mini SE or Mini 1 is going to do plenty of damage indoors...lock up the cats and hide all the lamps, candles, indoor plants, and vases! (even a Tello can do some damage indoors)

as somebody said, just about any drone that is good for indoors will be bad for outdoors....unless you have a 3 acre yard and absolutely no wind. And as somebody else mentioned, kids are likely going to get bored in a hurry with any drone safe for flying indoors. But if you get an indoor drone, make sure it has full prop guards like the one MS Coast linked

and, for a 9 year old, I'd be really worried about them flying a drone in a neighborhood assuming the drone is good for outdoors and has some range. Just too many chances for bad interactions with neighbors and neighbor property

@dougstroud ,have read the replies to your OP so far with interest,
and now i would like to put a few questions to you ,
i can admire your idea of trying to get your daughters interested in the drone flying hobby
but before you embark on such a venture ,may i ask if this is something that they themselves have requested ,or is it because you wish them to be part of your hobby ,
sorry if this seems personal ,but i am trying to be honest with you here ,yes it will mean that they will be able to come out with you ,and have a drone to fly while you are also flying your drone
and if that is what all of you want to achieve then good luck
personally i would purchase a MM or Mini 2 with the fly more kit ,and give them the opportunity to learn the basics of drone control ,and see if it is something that they are interested in long term,i am not trying to put a dampener on your idea ,just giving you a different perspective on the subject
and if my post has offended you in any way ,then i apologise in advance ,and would be happy to delete it if you so wished

This looks perfect- thanks for the link.
I am looking at the
We recommend these drones which won't cost you an arm and a leg when you have to replace them.

Fly High RC Drones Offer Extensive Features
I am looking at the V800. How precision is this drone? I purchased a Bezgar HQ051 before I got your post. I tested it out today and a problem it has is it won't remain stationary while hovering. It drifts right and forward a moderate rate making teaching difficult.

@dougstroud ,have read the replies to your OP so far with interest,
and now i would like to put a few questions to you ,
i can admire your idea of trying to get your daughters interested in the drone flying hobby
but before you embark on such a venture ,may i ask if this is something that they themselves have requested ,or is it because you wish them to be part of your hobby ,
sorry if this seems personal ,but i am trying to be honest with you here ,yes it will mean that they will be able to come out with you ,and have a drone to fly while you are also flying your drone
and if that is what all of you want to achieve then good luck
personally i would purchase a MM or Mini 2 with the fly more kit ,and give them the opportunity to learn the basics of drone control ,and see if it is something that they are interested in long term,i am not trying to put a dampener on your idea ,just giving you a different perspective on the subject
and if my post has offended you in any way ,then i apologise in advance ,and would be happy to delete it if you so wished
No offense taken and I appreciate your candor. My intent is to give them something that may interest them, to unlock ideas, doors, and potential opportunities they may not have ever had thought about previously. These are my stepdaughters and I am recently married so I am exploring things with them they have never had access to before. Cheers OMM

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan