DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone for kids

minipro3

Reactions
My sister has been flying drones for 4 years and asked me for a recommendation for a small yard drone for her 6 year old child to start learning on. I know there are a lot on Amazon, but wondering if someone has already done the research to save me the trouble. She wants one that height and distance can be set.

My sister has been flying drones for 4 years and asked me for a recommendation for a small yard drone for her 6 year old child to start learning on. I know there are a lot on Amazon, but wondering if someone has already done the research to save me the trouble. She wants one that height and distance can be set.
DJI/Ryze Tello ($99 or $150USD for "FlyMore"). GameSir also makes a bluetooth controller for about $40 that you can get for a full controller experience. These are suitable for use inside or outside in a small yard. Take a look at YouTube videos. The props also cannot do too much damage to human skin and the drone comes with prop guards.

These are used in schools to teach STEM because there is a software component to this that allows you to program flights using "no-code" programming. Check out DroneBlocks at

Here is a decent review:

If she is insistent on a more adult drone, get your hands on a used DJI Spark. Built like a tank and has some obstacle avoidance. If you cannot find a Spark, consider a used DJI Mavic Air or a Yuneec Breeze 4k.

IMHO do NOT consider anything in the Mini series other than a Mini 3 Pro (probably too expensive for a 6 year old to learn on) as none of the other Minis will have obstacle avoidance.

Last edited:
A six year old is a tad young. And the cheaper drones just don't have the ability to set limits of distance.

What I would suggest your sister do is get a small indoor FPV drone. I don't know what her budget is, but you can get them pretty cheap.

I would suggest the EMAX Tinyhawk (https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdo...775&sprefix=tinyhawk+emax+rtf,aps,113&sr=8-10). It's pretty inexpensive, and durable. She'll need to get extra batteries as well, but they're cheap, usually around $5 each.

Once her child is comfortable flying it, you can take those outside. But they won't fly in much wind. Very little actually. But they're inexpensive, and fun to fly. You don't have to use the goggles to fly them, you can fly them line of sight.

That's what I'd suggest. Her other option would be something like a DJI Mini. And they're not cheap. I wouldn't trust a 6 year old with one.

And the best way in the world to turn a kid off of flying drones is to put a cheap drone from Amazon in their hands. They're hard to fly, and won't keep the kid happy.

What is the budget? And what style of drone (video/photography, pure flying, acrobatics?)

The Ryze Tello is a relatively inexpensive but fairly good quality drone, though with the standard control app it doesn't have a configurable distance limit (3rd party apps do, eg Tello FPV). It has a height restriction of 30m and in practical terms has a range of 50-100m due to signal range - it uses your phone's wifi. You can connect a Gamesir controller to you phone so you get physical sticks, however buying that, the Tello and some spare batteries starts to get as expensive as a DJI Mini SE, which is a far more capable drone.

As someone that has been through what you are looking for. Be sure to purchase one that already comes with prop guards. Replacement parts are non-existent on most cheap drones.

Reactions: minipro3
Thanks for all the replies ! She's probably looking for something that you can actually control, but in the price range of $100 give or take. Money is really not an issue, but not expensive in case it breaks as he's learning or gets lost in the lake, she lives on a small lake and its 20 ft out her back door. The kid is pretty smart and she thinks he will catch on pretty fast. She can upgrade if he develops an interest

"She's probably looking for something that you can actually control, but in the price range of $100 give or take."
To be clear: you can control the Tello, but you can also get into the programming aspect of it. Just wanted to make sure my post about the Tello wasn't confusing.

To be clear: you can control the Tello, but you can also get into the programming aspect of it. Just wanted to make sure my post about the Tello wasn't confusing.
So, I'm leaning to the DJI Tello with the GameSir controller. I didn't know DJI made this. You don't see it on the website unless you type it in the search bar. Thank you for all the replies. You guys saved me a lot of time !!!

Reactions: Grandpa
This set up was in my early fleet and, to be honest, with all of this reminiscing, I am thinking I might get another Tello just for the fun of it. I shot this honeymoon video using my Tello.

Reactions: minipro3 and scro
I have a Tello and a Gamesir controller and have had many hours of fun with it. Having physical sticks is a far better overall experience. I have predominantly flown it outside and it is remarkably capable in the wind for such a tiny drone. I have crashed mine many times and it still flies fine! Here are a few points to consider before you commit to a Tello:
  • It uses optical positioning for stabilisation and this typically doesn't work well over water, featureless surfaces and in the dark - you mentioned a lake, so consider where the flying might eb done.
  • Get the Gamesir T1S controller if you can, rather than the T1D, (the T1D is marketed as being for Tello). The T1s allows you to connect phone and controller with a cable, rather than just bluetooth. Using bluetooth tends to interfere a bit with the wifi control signal. I have a T1s and can confirm it works both with a cable and with bluetooth.
  • Consider getting the TelloFPV app (Android only, I believe). It adds a lot of handy features that the official app doesn't include. I have no connection or affiliaion with the App, but did buy it, and use it exclusively now.
Edit: My 5 year-old has flown it several times and got on well with it (prop guards on and off).

Last edited:
I got this drone for a 7 year old. https://a.co/d/4oNj0NR . I felt it was cheap and totally safe after I bought it for myself because the blades are encased and not exposed. Granted it doesn't have a camera, but a 6 year old probably won't care. This drone comes with 3 batteries and also does tricks in which the kid would love to do. I wouldn't suggest a Tello for a 6 year old as they are more complicated to operate. I have both and if a Tello gets ruined your out about $149, or $99 and if this gets ruined your out $30.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne and minipro3
I Love flying Tellos my friends and I race and abuse the heck out of these little guys I am very surprised we have not actually totaled one yet But they are tanks I have been through about 2 dozen props on mine Bounced it off trees, poles, Me, The prop guards are useless and only keep them if you want too donate your Tello to the tree gods. the Tello flys way better without them With the Gamesir controller these little drones are HUGE fun. I do think 6 is a little young but for strength and The Educational benefits The Tello wins P.S. you might as well get 2 because you are going to want one

I think the DEERC D20 is a great starter drone. I enjoy flying it around my yard myself. Just forget about the camera and don't bother connecting a phone. Great fun to fly line of sight. Honestly, any drone in the <$100 range is going to have a camera that is trash. This is durable and small. It survives crashes and won't break what it crashes into generally.

Right now it's $40 on Amazon:

Reactions: Jam0ne and minipro3
Recommend the Tello using the TelloFPV app. I also use the Parrot Flypad controller, which I find to be outstanding.

I got this drone for a 7 year old. https://a.co/d/4oNj0NR . I felt it was cheap and totally safe after I bought it for myself because the blades are encased and not exposed. Granted it doesn't have a camera, but a 6 year old probably won't care. This drone comes with 3 batteries and also does tricks in which the kid would love to do. I wouldn't suggest a Tello for a 6 year old as they are more complicated to operate. I have both and if a Tello gets ruined your out about $149, or $99 and if this gets ruined your out $30.
I finally decided on the Holy Stone HS210. What a little great drone for youngsters !! You can't break it, no matter how many crashes. It's made to bounce off things. Definitely a house drone, comes with 3 batteries. I enjoy flying it around myself. Takes about an hour to master it. Only issue for kids is changing the battery. Adults will have to help

I am glad you like the drone. My nephews love this drone. I love this drone. It is a fun little drone to fly around and don't have to worry about destroying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne