DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone piracy

asic_ace

Reactions
What kind of security does OcuSync use to prevent hijacking of your drone? From what I've read, it's pretty simplistic; a controller is bonded to a specific drone (a digital address?). Anyone who has the time can eavesdrop, determine the protocol & address and capture your drone. Frequency hopping would make that much more difficult and might increase the range but just tapping into a DJI controller would bypass that pain. It's probably being done.

I don't own a drone yet, just doing my research.

• Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
It's a LOT more complicated than that. I've been in this industry for decades and with today's "Binding" you can't "Steal" the UAS. The aircraft and radio/transmitter have to both be in BIND mode. It's not something that can be done inflight.

Also it requires a physical button be depressed in the aircraft (using something like a pin or straightened paperclip) to initiate the BIND process.

What kind of security does OcuSync use to prevent hijacking of your drone? From what I've read, it's pretty simplistic; a controller is bonded to a specific drone (a digital address?). Anyone who has the time can eavesdrop, determine the protocol & address and capture your drone. Frequency hopping would make that much more difficult and might increase the range but just tapping into a DJI controller would bypass that pain. It's probably being done.

Unless your drone is carrying Platinum Gold its never going to happen, The chances of you getting hit by lightning are more likely . The Forum keeps really good tabs on the drone news and I dont think in the 3 years I have been on this forum anyone has claimed that there drone was hacked. So if its being done , its not with DJI drones.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

As above....Not gonna happen. Requires physical access to the drone.

Reactions: chazzm
It's digital and encrypted.
There are ways to capture the information about aircraft position etc (which is not encrypted because regulations etc) but taking control has not been demonstrated on anything newer than 5 years or so.

Last edited:
Theoretically possible, but the engineering challenges would be huge. Just to steal a drone worth a few hundred?

Ive heard a couple years ago that it might be possible but with the encryption it would take longer than your batteries will last

I thought the police had contractors working on something to stop Heathrow/Gatwick? happening again

With Ocusync 2.0, the connection between the drone and remote is encrypted using the AES 256 standard. A man in the middle attack to hijack your drone isn't likely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov