DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Registration Coming to Australia? CASA media release

You must not be reading it right bud....

3.1.4 Aircraft identification
3.1.4.1 Operators who are required to notify CASA should either:
− attach to, or insert into, their aircraft a fire-proof identification ‘plate’
or
− write the identification details in indelible ink on the aircraft.
REMOTELY PILOTED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS – OPERATION
OF EXCLUDED RPA (OTHER THAN MODEL AIRCRAFT)
AC 101-10 v1.2 February 2017 Page 15
3.1.4.2 The identification information should include the operator’s name (or trading name) and their ARN. Specific aircraft identification, for the owner’s aircraft management purposes, may also be included.
3.1.4.3 Any identification need only be in place during flight time.

I registered back in 2014 and it wasn't there then.
Strange I didn't get that update from them??
Turns out I did get it - just didn't go through all the pages.

Last edited:
Extract from CASA media release 11 May 2018:

AUSTRALIAN 11.5 P27 DRONE REGISTRATION ON REGULATION WISH LIST

The potential for recreational drone users to face further regulations has increased after a report by the nation's civil aviation watchdog backed mandatory registration for gadgets weighing more than 250g. Such a move would bring Australia into line with the US, where Federal Aviation Administration rules require drones weighing more than 250g to be registered. The Australian can reveal that CASA's report from its review into remotely piloted aircraft systems also says the body should develop an online course for hobbyists followed by a quiz with a minimum pass mark. The report will be released today. In other findings, the report flags continued support for the development of geofencing technology - which curbs where drones can fly - that drone manufacturers are working on. The focus of such a technology would be on stopping drones from operating near major airports and in certain types of restricted airspace. The Australian revealed last year that CASA had early-stage talks with Chinese drone manufacturer DJI about rolling out its geofencing system here. In other findings, the report finds CASA should deliver a "road map" for integrating drones into airspace, which could include systems that allow drone users to stay safely separated from other aircraft. The issue of drones within controlled airspace has challenged regulators across the globe. CASA's director of aviation safety, Shane Carmody, stressed that before making any final decisions on regulatory change proposals, CASA would take into account the report from the Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee's inquiry into drone safety and the government's response to that report. The Senate committee is due to report on July 31, with the Senate having repeatedly extended the reporting date. "We understand the drone sector of aviation is growing and evolving rapidly as technology moves ahead in leaps and bounds," Mr Carmody said. "The challenge for CASA as the safety regulator is to maintain drone rules which are relevant, address known risks and not place a restrictive burden on a dynamic industry." CASA released a discussion paper last year on drone safety regulation and received 900 submissions. These indicated backing for a system of registration for remotely piloted aircraft. The government announced the review in late 2016. Mr Carmody said the body would hold consultations on proposals when decisions on regulatory change were made. He said the report would help guide CASA on what changes should be made to rules dealing with unmanned aerial vehicles.
I registered with the US FAA when it was not required, just a safety thing I did before going to Hawaii and Alaska. It cost US$5. If this requirement happens in Australia, how much will it cost and then in NZ how much? There has been talk of NZ CAA charging over NZ$140, which is just money grabbing.
Steve

I registered with the US FAA when it was not required, just a safety thing I did before going to Hawaii and Alaska. It cost US$5. If this requirement happens in Australia, how much will it cost and then in NZ how much? There has been talk of NZ CAA charging over NZ$140, which is just money grabbing.
Steve

It's free here in OZ
Just go to the website and fill out the form

Reactions: Te Rangitira
It's free here in OZ
Just go to the website and fill out the form
What are you actually registering? Is it simply putting your self in CASA database an getting and ARN? Or are you in some way registering something else?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phill
I've never flown illegally but saw this coming and I could not be bothered with all the paperwork I will just sell my DJI and concentrate on other hobbies.

in which case the government will have achieved what they really want, which is to drive you out of the space altogether.

Reactions: Phill
if he perseveres without doing so legally, sure. in his case, he's already sold up in frustration and bought a jet ski or whatever.

I really don't see the need for potentially draconian licencing/registration/penalties. geofencing stops people doing dumb stuff either deliberately or unknowingly, restrict the import and sale of drones to devices that support this feature and make it mandatory that it can't be deactivated without proper credentials which only a licenced operator can get.

police direct imports the same as everything else customs check for, and the significant majority of the issue doesn't occur in the first place.

forget about them, realistically the hardware only has a lifespan of a couple of years so it's a self-solving problem. crashes, hardware failure and general attrition will take care of it and for the meantime the problem is no worse than it has ever been.

forget about them, realistically the hardware only has a lifespan of a couple of years so it's a self-solving problem. crashes, hardware failure and general attrition will take care of it and for the meantime the problem is no worse than it has ever been.

And all the DJI stuff bought off ebay??

same. there's nothing you can do to stop someone flying with it anyway. retrospective fines don't do anything to stop an accident on the part of someone who didn't necessarily even know they were doing something wrong. all you can do it manage the issue going forward.

same. there's nothing you can do to stop someone flying with it anyway. retrospective fines don't do anything to stop an accident on the part of someone who didn't necessarily even know they were doing something wrong. all you can do it manage the issue going forward.
Exactly right and I don't think they'll be able to make the regs retrospective.

Technically they could remotely 'ground' all DJI craft, until the owner complied.
But what about my 250 racers, my 450 flame wheels and my carbon fibre scarab??
No autonomous flight modes or RTH/auto land on them...
This has always been my arguement with the jammers too (but thats for another thread)

Technically they could remotely 'ground' all DJI craft, until the owner complied.
But what about my 250 racers, my 450 flame wheels and my carbon fibre scarab??
No autonomous flight modes or RTH/auto land on them...
This has always been my arguement with the jammers too (but thats for another thread)

They would have to be connected to the internet to be grounded.
One reason apart from forced updates that I don't connect.

With DJI, thats my point. Every upgrade, whether firmware or app, requires you to log in or you are geofenced automatically.

the text is from an article published in The Australian on 11 May, not a media release with that date.

Reactions: forsythem
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom