DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Registration Coming to Australia? CASA media release

the text is from an article published in The Australian on 11 May, not a media release with that date.

Thanks Caspian - and, of course, we can't see the article without a paid subscription.

Looking forward to see what CASA officially release.

Thanks Caspian - and, of course, we can't see the article without a paid subscription.

News Corp have indeed recently gone full retard with their paywall, but there's always a way. I absolutely refuse to pay for web content when they are going to shove advertising in my face anyway.

I have attached a PDF of the web page, it mangles the graphics a bit but the content is there.

Attachments

• CASA considering registration for drones over 250g.pdf
    524 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: forsythem
Does anybody know where we can actually find this media release? CASA's page doesn't list any media releases after 08/05/18.
Media releases

Try here and you'll eventually find it
Drones

This is the media release I received

New recreational drone rules
20 October 2017
CASA announced today new stronger and clearer rules for flying drones to help drone flyers operate with increased safety.

The new rules will better protect people and aircraft from drones and have been developed in response to community concerns about drone safety and the rapid increase in the number of drone operators.

They do not apply to all drone flyers. If you hold a remote pilot licence (RePL) and operate according to a remotely piloted aircraft operator certificate (ReOC) or have an authorisation from CASA, you will be exempt from the new measures. Model aircraft operating under CASA approvals are also exempt.

These new interim measures also make it clear that operating drones near a public safety or emergency operations is not permitted. CASA has also launched a new website called droneflyer.com.au that explains key safety rules for recreational drone flyers, using easy-to-understand language and clear and simple information graphics.

Droneflyer.com.au complements CASA’s Can I fly there? free mobile app, which helps recreational and sub-2 kg drone operators fly safely by providing practical information about where they can and can’t operate.

For specific details on the new measures and about flying drones commercially, visit www.casa.gov.au/drones

Does that happen to you?
It doesn't ask me and I'm not far from you.
My neighbour has a P4P and he doesn't have to log in either.
Yeah absolutely mate, its a common occurence. Mostly people think they have been put into beginner mode with tightly restricted flight. 30 x 50 mtrs or something.
The answer is simply to log into your DJI account and the restrictions are magically lifted!
I am saying that if they can do that, they can do more.
Sudden flight restriction
firmware-jpg.17817

Like many government "action" they are solving a minor almost non-existent problem with an ineffective solution. It wont stop the clueless or those who will ignore the law even after registration. All it does is make the politicians and beaucrates look like they are being proactive. At best it will allow a prosecution after an accident. A sticker fixes nothing.

By comparison if they wanted to stop death and destruction they would make everyone sit a defensive motor vehicle driving test (not the current drive around the block rest) every 5 years. Hundreds of people die each year from people breaking the road rules. Very few are accidents.

There have been few injuries and no deaths from drone operations.

TV news are the biggeest drivers of this. They pump up the story. But they also repeatedly break the current rules. e.g. The Block reality show launched a drone in the middle of suburbia, climbed over dozens of of people, cars and houses to film Melbourne CBD *after* sunset from about 100m. I very much doubt CASA would have approved that.

as RPV pilots, we're a very small minority. nobody really wants to do anything about road related deaths because nobody wants the inconvenience of doing something effective about it. nobody likes it, but we accept it.

RPV is so misunderstood - apparently even by the people making the rules - that's it probably seems easier to just ban it, or make the hassle and cost so significant that a ban is what is effectively the case. I mean, it only affects a tiny number of people, and half of them are perverts looking in people's windows, right? :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if The Block's aerial shots weren't legal - whoever did them would just have paid whatever licence fee was required to allow them to do so. apparently having a very expensive licence suddenly makes it safer, whereas without one the sky will fall. it's a bit like the hypocrisy of police being able to use mobile phones while driving, but the world will come to an end if the rest of us do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom