DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Regulation

BU51GET

Reactions
With all the adverse publicity surrounding rogue drone flying at the moment, I just wonder if there could be some form of registration implemented for the drone itself which could also be linked to the operator.

I am thinking along the lines of Flarms which is a form of transmitting the aircraft identity whilst in the air or even whilst on the ground when ready for flying. This perhaps could be linked to the operator by way of cellular phone network which in itself could give gps position of where the phone was being used from and ultimately who it was registered to.

I am also thinking along the lines of times when a drone is connected to the Internet all the flight information could be uploaded and any illegal activity could result in prosecution leading to conviction and inprisonment for the most severe offences.

I realise to have such a scheme would require input from drone manufacturers, cellular network providers and some form of licensing registration with governments etc which would come at a cost both in set up and maintaining a licensing system. I for one would be willing to pay a license fee for the pleasure of flying.

What I feel at the moment is that general members of the public are alienating people who fly drones who think us to be irresponsible and tarred with the same brush with those that give this hobby a bad name.

Make no mistake, the use of drones is increasing, regulating it is imminent.

And I was looking for a new hobby when I found this one. Never fails. As soon as a few bad apples are added into the mix, the people that don’t have anything else to do, find something to provide themselves with a purpose. When the sh_ _ hits the fan, there will probably be new fishing pole in the works!

Reactions: old man mavic
With all the adverse publicity surrounding rogue drone flying at the moment, I just wonder if there could be some form of registration implemented for the drone itself which could also be linked to the operator.

I am thinking along the lines of Flarms which is a form of transmitting the aircraft identity whilst in the air or even whilst on the ground when ready for flying. This perhaps could be linked to the operator by way of cellular phone network which in itself could give gps position of where the phone was being used from and ultimately who it was registered to.

I am also thinking along the lines of times when a drone is connected to the Internet all the flight information could be uploaded and any illegal activity could result in prosecution leading to conviction and inprisonment for the most severe offences.

I realise to have such a scheme would require input from drone manufacturers, cellular network providers and some form of licensing registration with governments etc which would come at a cost both in set up and maintaining a licensing system. I for one would be willing to pay a license fee for the pleasure of flying.

What I feel at the moment is that general members of the public are alienating people who fly drones who think us to be irresponsible and tarred with the same brush with those that give this hobby a bad name.

Make no mistake, the use of drones is increasing, regulating it is imminent.
not a very good idea transmitting to anyone

Reactions: old man mavic
Mandatory drone registration of drones over 250 grams has already been in effect in Denmark since 2017. It's just a matter of time before other countries follow?
A simpler tecnical solution would be to allow and implement low power ADS-B transponders. ADS-B receivers exist in almost all aircrafts and every airport supports the system. There is no point in creating a new system, that all airplanes then have to implement. It would take a decade. It makes more sense using already existing technology in the drones instead. They can be made down to a few ounces if low power versions were allowed. I wouldn't mind registering and flying with one because it would make dron'ing som much more safe.
This is a very fine article on the subject.
The Case for Low Power ADS-B for Drones

Last edited:
The law abiding will comply and pay for the system. The crooks and terrorists will not comply and will freeload. The Public servants will have a new career line and the unions will have more members. Typical loose/win

The law abiding will comply and pay for the system. The crooks and terrorists will not comply and will freeload. The Public servants will have a new career line and the unions will have more members. Typical loose/win
Jep - if you mean to break the law or want to use drones harmfully no regulation will stop that. You can buy or build any drone you like off the internet. - and it only takes one idiot to put the rest of us i a very bad light in the public. The political simpel reaction would be to ban flying hitting only the ones flying legally.
However the drone community could counter react them selves by making legal drone flying more safe to ensure public safety. For instance by voluntarily implementing ADS-B transponders? Drones are just electronics that can fail and a rouge fly-away drone can get to dangerous high altitudes before battery runs out. But if the planes can see them, they can avoid them and a potential disaster. By taking responsibility the community have good arguments for not tightening regulation and the added bonus, that they are more safe to fly with for everybody.

anything that flies even a large bird has the potential to cause damage or injury if it hits another flying object ,or something or someone when it hits the ground. a drone is one of those and no matter what tech is fitted to them there is always going to be the moment when for what ever reason the drone is going to do something other than what was expected. it is something that we have to live with.having said that if we as drone fliers fly within the framwork of rules already in place and i am sure most of us do then we are doing our best to mitigate the chance of an accident. (accident definition an unplanned happening or unforseen event out of our control) we just have to hope that it never happens to us when we are flying

This has got to be the dumbest thread I have seen on any drone forum.Drone Police wouldn't even cover this thread.Where do you want our freedom to go?Most posters here are Americans and this OP wants to take our freedom away.NOT IN MY LIFETIME

Reactions: DerekinUT and Starz
This has got to be the dumbest thread I have seen on any drone forum.Drone Police wouldn't even cover this thread.Where do you want our freedom to go?Most posters here are Americans and this OP wants to take our freedom away.NOT IN MY LIFETIME
Drone flyers are very quick to give-up their freedoms, and accept whatever regulation is bestowed upon them. It’s sad. People on this forum cannot watch a drone video without debating whether the actions were legal or not. Instead of enjoying the video, we lambast the pilot; sometimes without doing homework to gauge whether it was illegal or not (see the thread about flying in Philly above).

We should demand more stupid regulations, as we are afraid that more regulations will come, because of the "idiots".

Very clever.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu