DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones can crash planes or enact terrorism, FAA fears. Pilots say new rules would ruin their hobby

Look at the headline. Unless the author of the article lied about the FAA’s fears It does exactly as intended.

There is no evidence in the article to support the wording of the headine, but if you only read the headline and don't care what the article actually says then I can't help you any further.

There is no evidence in the article to support the wording of the headine, but if you only read the headline and don't care what the article actually says then I can't help you any further.
I agree but why the sensationalism? There’s a reason it was used and unless they are lying that’s what the FAA believes, or should I say promotes.

I agree but why the sensationalism? There’s a reason it was used and unless they are lying that’s what the FAA believes, or should I say promotes.

Are you seriously arguing that a USA Today reporter (or more likely editor) knows, or even cares, what the FAA position is? And if he did know - why would the source of that knowledge not be quoted in the article. But this is getting silly - you are obviously simply trying to contrive a reason to be able to say that the FAA is using scare tactics, when they demonstrably are not.

Ok, can someone please explain to me how new FAA rules will prevent “Drones can crash planes or enact terrorism”! Would a terrorist really want to use an off the shelf drone to wreck havoc? I really don’t think so! I would think a home built drone capable of carrying extended weight (read explosives) and not in the least affected by remote ID or NFZs is much more conducive to a terrorist threat than a law abiding pilot. New FAA rules would do nothing for the law breaker. What did the existing rules do? Only make things more constrictive for lawful pilots. I have no problem abiding by the current rules as do the vast majority of you, the readers. We really do not need more government, Shades of George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four: A Novel

As an example of ineffective laws on top of ineffective laws look to the ATF. Several states/cities have already proven that with the gun issue. Hello Chicago, LA, NYC, Miami, just name a few. Yeah, I’m still waiting (not holding my breath) to see how many criminals are rushing to complete their required background checks with their illegally obtained guns before going to the local convenience or liquor store and robbing it

So, just like the many states/cities that impose more and more laws that succeed in only hindering the lawful and legal gun owners and do nothing to stop the criminals, so be it with the FAA and law abiding pilots.

View attachment 95994
Exactly. These are the usual over-reactive laws made not, “To make people safe” but, “To make people feel safe [and vote for us in case someone else comes along who promotes real freedom and makes you all so unsafe]”. It’s not just with drones! If laws were really to protect people, there would be massive penalties for “riding without a helmet” and jaywalking. Instead we see ridiculous laws and fines for drones that demonstrably have not caused great issue by anyone who wants to be safe - and those who do not want to obey, deliberately, will continue to do so!

The FAA involvement will mandate whatever policies and Law deemed necessary in the name of safety and Homeland Security . I am actually shocked that it took them this long to act on the Drone matter. I am in agreement with the FAA. They should put an urgency on the new policies, rules, law and operation of Drones. I will not invest any more money into my Drone operation hobby till then. Another concern are those Fly away Drones, registered or not, Flying wherever uncontrolled and possibly causing harm somewhere. The blame will be pointed to a person or a manufacturer of said Drone. I would not like to be a passenger on a jetliner and see a drone in the air. We all know that at a certain altitude, the Airspace is controlled. Be prepared to spend money on Drone Ops. That is all, Carry on!

The FAA involvement will mandate whatever policies and Law deemed necessary in the name of safety and Homeland Security . I am actually shocked that it took them this long to act on the Drone matter. I am in agreement with the FAA. They should put an urgency on the new policies, rules, law and operation of Drones. I will not invest any more money into my Drone operation hobby till then. Another concern are those Fly away Drones, registered or not, Flying wherever uncontrolled and possibly causing harm somewhere. The blame will be pointed to a person or a manufacturer of said Drone. I would not like to be a passenger on a jetliner and see a drone in the air. We all know that at a certain altitude, the Airspace is controlled. Be prepared to spend money on Drone Ops. That is all, Carry on!

Simple solution is force a hard altitude limit via software. 400ft AGL maximum in class G, 0-200 elsewhere depending on VFR limits. Hold drone manufacturers or third party control apps that don't have the limit set, criminally liable.

Of course hackers will still release black market apps to go around it. So make the penalties stiffer for anyone found to be using a hacked app, up to and including life in prison.

That would allow us all to keep using our current drones without bricking them, and not have to deal with remote id tracking malarkey.

Sounds good. We need more if there are any, Drone Lobbyist in DC.

Simple solution is force a hard altitude limit via software. 400ft AGL maximum in class G, 0-200 elsewhere depending on VFR limits. Hold drone manufacturers or third party control apps that don't have the limit set, criminally liable.

Of course hackers will still release black market apps to go around it. So make the penalties stiffer for anyone found to be using a hacked app, up to and including life in prison.

That would allow us all to keep using our current drones without bricking them, and not have to deal with remote id tracking malarkey.

It's not a bad idea in principle, but altitude AGL is not easy to implement. Current DEMs are currently not accurate enough, even if the aircraft had them loaded, which would take silly amounts of memory.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The point is there will be some sort of regulations concerning hobbyists, that is inevitable and probably a correct course to take for public safety and privacy.

We all see the videos of restricted flying and definitely flights way out of VLOS.

Here's the BUT:
These rules must be proportional to the actual threat that the majority of hobbyist pose.

Like in any thing else, and I mean anything, you are going to have people who think the rules do not apply to them! That goes to the majority of us on this forum.

OK, tell me you never drove over the speed limit, or make a complete stop at every stop sign?
We all have at some point in our driving experience. And what happened, we received a fine that was proportionate with the offence.

But somehow drones are considered in the halls of the FAA & Local Governments a Clear & Present Danger to Public Safety and Property. The biggest threat since 911!

We all need to see a reasonable balance between our rights to pursue our hobby and the need to follow certain guidelines for the public safety and privacy.

I guess today's Boogeymen are our 3 LB. Drones lurking, watching, and ready to pounce.
What a crock.

From my short time in this hobby I have found that 99% of the UAV pilots are mature, responsible, and mostly, love this hobby with a passion.

This is our pursuit of Happiness. Seen that somewhere in the Constitution, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I live on Long Island, NY, by the Great South Bay, hundreds of boaters, power, sail, wave runners, jet skies, water skiers, wind surfers, etc....
They have there rules to pursue there passions, and yes inevitably there are accidents due to operator error, bad judgment concerning number of passengers, alcohol, etc., which causes a public safety hazards, including damage to property, injury, and death.
Oh did I mention, all that noise upsetting our delicate ecosystem and all it"s inhabitants.

OK, I'm done with my rant, but our hobby cannot be perceived as the "Wild West" either, where anything goes, along with public officials & the public at large cannot treat us as reckless Peeping Tom's and worst, terrorists.

Maybe more of the general public who are concerned with our hobby as some sort of threat need to be educated to the real problems of our hobby along with the sensationalizing ("Fake") media, and our knee-jerk politicians and bureaucrats.

We are not at the "My Cold Dead Hands" stage yet, so we must be active in our local politics and support those who can put pressure at the federal level.

For now:
Fly safe.

Just an aside, I did fly with "Cold Numb Hands" this winter, looking forward to the spring.

Reactions: Classic flyer
The mass of the, "do the right thing & Law abiding people", will feel the grips of those who Govern. Due to the actions , of the few, "uncompliant & non-Law abiding people."" These are ancient human behaviors as well as
"the nature of the beast." That is all, Carry on!✌

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore