DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones that 'follow me'?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all,
I have a friend who surfs and was asking me what drones are available to him that would follow him out, video him surfing, and back. I explained that my mini 2 doesn't have this facility so thought I should ask the experts......

The MA2 has a "follow me" feature...and it works quite well (I've used it).

All DJI drones have Active Track, but I'd say it'd be pretty hit and miss with surfing.
Skydio 2 is very good, but supply might be a problem, not sure if on the shelves in the US ?

Nothing is guaranteed, at least if DJI signal lost it would RTH and land (suitable beach large landing pad).
Skydio might do that too, not sure.

Check YouTube, search Skydio2 and DJI tracking, even type in surfing to see if anyone's tried it . . . compare.

A note, you REALLY should have a pilot in charge at all times ready to take control, I can see a drone taking a salt bath, or someone on the beach getting hurt, or drone taken, number of scenarios.

I use my mavic zoom mountain biking and never had any problems with it but thats alot different from surfing.

Follow me mode with mavics means that the drone will follow the remotes signal wherever it goes..
That means your surfer would have to carry the remote which is not a good idea since it
Would highly likely get soaked…
Skydio has a small potable device to carry which makes this much easier..

active track “ paints” the subject but with my experience with mavics that can be interrupted by another object pretty easily..
The skydio is much better on locking on “subject”.

Reactions: Flycaster
Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom do a good job following people, boats, etc. (Active Track 2.0), and p. 28 of the user manual explains the modes, caveats, etc. This does NOT follow the controller. A separate pilot on the beach would need to be in control of the drone to follow a surfer.

Reactions: MARK (LI) and Bobvt
Check out Skydio's promo vid, and then check the vids on youtube for the Skydio.
This U.S. built drone has a way more robust follow me mode.
And, it also has a more robust object avoidance system.

The last time I heard that Skydio 2’s are not recommended for flying over Water or they have a caution about it flying over Water!
Yes, trying to "sense" water with electronics is a tricky thing....
Even the DJI family has some issues flying low over the water. You can be flying (or hovering) happily of the water, and then you sometimes just slowly start to decend...

My guess is to be at least 1.5 to 2 times the sensor range above the surface of the water...

Reactions: DoomMeister
Yes, trying to "sense" water with electronics is a tricky thing....
Even the DJI family has some issues flying low over the water. You can be flying (or hovering) happily of the water, and then you sometimes just slowly start to decend...

My guess is to be at least 1.5 to 2 times the sensor range above the surface of the water...
Jesus!!! Didn't know this!!!! Can you intervene and ascend? Why would this happen / why would the drone do this?

Check out Skydio's promo vid, and then check the vids on youtube for the Skydio.
This U.S. built drone has a way more robust follow me mode.
And, it also has a more robust object avoidance system.

WOW!!!! This is incredible!!!!!! Don't think they're available in the UK?

Follow me mode with mavics means that the drone will follow the remotes signal wherever it goes..
That means your surfer would have to carry the remote which is not a good idea since it
Would highly likely get soaked…
Skydio has a small potable device to carry which makes this much easier..

active track “ paints” the subject but with my experience with mavics that can be interrupted by another object pretty easily..
The skydio is much better on locking on “subject”.
Ah, I did not know this. I thought it followed the pilot / whoever it was 'told' to?

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I guess a mini 2 just hovering would, technically, capture him surfing, it's just a matter of how far away it would be from the action.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I guess a mini 2 just hovering would, technically, capture him surfing, it's just a matter of how far away it would be from the action.
Idk about your drone but my mp1 will “follow” the remote or active track will “paint” the subject and either follow that subject or I can select the mode where it still “paints” the subject but stays stationary in the air and only the camera follows subject

Paddling out, catching a few waves and heading back can really eat up the battery life...and you lose track of time when there are good waves...so it would go into low battery RTH...just to be aware of when it heads in..or have someone on the beach tracking it

Hi all,
I have a friend who surfs and was asking me what drones are available to him that would follow him out, video him surfing, and back. I explained that my mini 2 doesn't have this facility so thought I should ask the experts......
I have a Skydio 2 and use it over water all the time. The warnings about water are particularly about flat water and I haven't had a hint of a worried moment from a false reading when I have flown over liquid.

But there is a real element of danger to a drone anytime you fly over water. It can be tricky to recover when your subject is not on dry land. You have to watch your battery life carefully to make sure that you can get your drone back to soil for a landing.

Her is a video a fellow Skydio owner did:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka