DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dust, leg extensions, and landing pads

DesertRider

Reactions
My thoughts on dust, leg extensions, and landing pads....

The Air will not fit in the compact DJI case with the PgyTech legs on. I find this case very useful because it fits into my backpack and has provided acceptable protection from falls.

I can put the PgyTech legs on in about 20 seconds and remove them in about 15 seconds. This does not include forgetting to put them in my gallon Ziploc with the controller or having them fly off and get lost in rocks, vegetation, etc.

Also, working with the legs requires fine motor skills that degrade with stress, fatigue, cold, heat, high wind, etc.

The legs provide a good lift kit, raising the Air from a low rider to a monster truck of sorts. However, in a high dust environment they reduce but don't eliminate the dust cloud.

I can pull my pad (an automobile sun shade) and four bean bags out of my pack and have it ready to go in about 20 seconds. Same for stowing it away.

I have started practicing a new sequence where I fold the bags up inside the pad. This saves several seconds.

Handling the pad and bags does not require fine motor skills and there are no small parts to lose.

The pad is minimal bulk in my pack. The bean bags are around a pound and stuff well. Not great but I have come to believe the pad is worthwhile in my conditions which are 90% dusty.

With improved operations skills, I can set up the pad, launch, pack the pad away, ride, unpack the pad, recover the aircraft, and pack the pad away again in a short time.

So, my conclusion for my operating conditions.... I would rather use the pad instead of the legs because the pad takes a reasonable amount of time to use and basically eliminates the dust cloud.

Just tossing this out as food for thought that others might find useful in doing their own analysis.

Reactions: PAW and scott rand

The Air will not fit in the compact DJI case with the PgyTech legs on. I find this case very useful because it fits into my backpack and has provided acceptable protection from falls.

I can put the PgyTech legs on in about 20 seconds and remove them in about 15 seconds. This does not include forgetting to put them in my gallon Ziploc with the controller or having them fly off and get lost in rocks, vegetation, etc.

Also, working with the legs requires fine motor skills that degrade with stress, fatigue, cold, heat, high wind, etc.

The legs provide a good lift kit, raising the Air from a low rider to a monster truck of sorts. However, in a high dust environment they reduce but don't eliminate the dust cloud.

I can pull my pad (an automobile sun shade) and four bean bags out of my pack and have it ready to go in about 20 seconds. Same for stowing it away.

I have started practicing a new sequence where I fold the bags up inside the pad. This saves several seconds.

Handling the pad and bags does not require fine motor skills and there are no small parts to lose.

The pad is minimal bulk in my pack. The bean bags are around a pound and stuff well. Not great but I have come to believe the pad is worthwhile in my conditions which are 90% dusty.

With improved operations skills, I can set up the pad, launch, pack the pad away, ride, unpack the pad, recover the aircraft, and pack the pad away again in a short time.

So, my conclusion for my operating conditions.... I would rather use the pad instead of the legs because the pad takes a reasonable amount of time to use and basically eliminates the dust cloud.

Just tossing this out as food for thought that others might find useful in doing their own analysis.

I use a way smaller pad than that, which makes it easier to carry

small landing pad.jpg

Last edited:

OK, so what kind of dust conditions do you operate in?

I often work in dust that includes fine silt. Having observed the clouds closely, a small pad would have minimal benefit for me.

My sun shade folds up small and weighs only a few ounces. It is well worth the size.

On the other hand, if I was just concerned about gimbal protection then a small pad would be nice,

Different environments, different gear and procedures.

This shows the condition of my gimbal after about 60 flights and limited use of a pad. I cleaned it up with a slightly moist cotton swab and use of the pad is keeping it much cleaner.

If I had your dusty conditions, I would just hand launch/land.

Reactions: gvsukids
If I had your dusty conditions, I would just hand launch/land.

The problem is wind, sometimes shivering cold. 80% of my flights generate high wind warnings. Typically half my screen is covered with them because they come up so fast.

Even landing on the pad is very exciting, especially if it is on a slope. This is why I always use the controller, with the sticks installed.

BTW, I find that, under non-urban conditions, precision Auto Land fails most of the time at the last moment. So I get to take over. The story of "auto pilots" since the beginning of time, according to the book "Our robots, Ourselves."

I'll post some synchronized G3 action cam, screen cast, and aircraft footage of exciting landings at some point.

Last edited:
where did you get that pad from it looks ideal for the Air

It's just a windshield sun shade with a yellow duct tape cross.

OK, so what kind of dust conditions do you operate in?

I often work in dust that includes fine silt. Having observed the clouds closely, a small pad would have minimal benefit for me.

My sun shade folds up small and weighs only a few ounces. It is well worth the size.

On the other hand, if I was just concerned about gimbal protection then a small pad would be nice,

Different environments, different gear and procedures.

Mostly beach environments

Hand launch. It’s easy and requires no landing pad. I have one but only use if I’m buckling in for a good hour.

Great stuff. Very useful info ! I have a tiny pad, it's kinda rubberized, slightly larger than the unfolded Air. I like it because it folds up easily and fits in my Polar Pro Mavic Air case in the zippered area. But also ordered those legs you have in the pic. I always wondered do those legs mess with the wifi legs of the Air ? Either way, I may use it in combo with the pad. Thanks for the pics, the Air looks really cool with those leg extenders.

Great stuff. Very useful info ! I have a tiny pad, it's kinda rubberized, slightly larger than the unfolded Air. I like it because it folds up easily and fits in my Polar Pro Mavic Air case in the zippered area. But also ordered those legs you have in the pic. I always wondered do those legs mess with the wifi legs of the Air ? Either way, I may use it in combo with the pad. Thanks for the pics, the Air looks really cool with those leg extenders.

I have those leg extenders and they do not mess with the wifi on the Air

Reactions: Jeff dascanio

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it

I need the LE to provide clearance for the ARC II attached with Velcro to my batteries. Didn’t want weight of multiple led lights or balance issue being attached to a leg. And the light can be seen no matter the position.

View attachment 34614

With a landing pad that size you have almost zero room for error. If it works for you that's great, but I use a much bigger pad. It works for all my drones and gives me a much larger margin for error (which I need).

Anyone use the Arzoic leg extensions?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78