DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

End of service & end of support.....??

Crow Horse

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Generally speaking, when does DJI declare a model's end of service and when do they typically suspend support for a model? I have older models which perform flawlessly and I'd be pretty upset if they dropped support for them (updates).

I would say anything not supported by DJI fly has ended.

It took them a long while just to fix DJI go on later android versions. So when DJI go breaks again or is no longer available then those models will likely be out of commission if not keeping around an older device or third party app can do it without interfacing with DJIs services.

Just like any other hot item, it's only hot while it is in the moment. After that any support for it goes on a shelf and collects dust. At that point any improvements are less likely to come about.

I think the end of service is when you can’t buy batteries and props directly from DJI. Nothing formal, one day they’re just gone from the site and you scramble to Amazon for the leftovers.

Yep, the M1P and Spark I own haven't had (or needed) an update for maybe a year or two now.
They still fly perfectly.
There's a point when updates are very scarce once all the bugs are flattened, then it's just as simple as stop making parts, consumables like batteries, or indeed even offering a repair service / tech support.

It seems it is the loss of batteries mostly that makes the drone eventually unserviceable.
Usually the likes of MAS props are made for most drones, though I'm sure eventually they might remove props for really old models when it's no longer viable to make them in decent numbers, and give them a little warehouse space.

As we know, it's not just DJI making drones obsolete . . . some places like the UK with their upcoming rule charges, and the US with RID might cause some to become unusable (although RID modules can be used).

Reactions: Madmyke
I found an article by Steve Rhoda and would agree with his assessment. These are "aircraft" by FAA standards and if there is no support from the manufacturer that aircraft is obsolete. If DJI is not looking at the UAS and flight software anymore how can you meet 107.15 (b) No person may continue flight of the small unmanned aircraft when he or she knows or has reason to know that the small unmanned aircraft system is no longer in a condition for safe operation.

With DJI no longer supporting the aircraft, 100% of the liability is on the pilot.

We want the UAS field to be respected and we use the term "pilot", with that come the responsibility of BEING a pilot and operating within good aviation practices. If you don't, you're just a person pushing a joystick.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne