DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

Will - Thanks very much. Your suggestions sound like a good starting point. Epson really needs to clean up their app marketing store if they want to succeed with the BT-300's. Other than flying DJI drones there is not much content to cause a non-drone pilot to buy the product.
Don't waste much time with the Epson app store. You can side load any app apk. Try a site like apkpure.com. Start by grabbing the Amazon appstore apk. Then you can access all the apps there.

Where are people buying the prescription inserts for the frame that comes with the BT-300? I got an eye exam to bring my prescription up to date and took the inserts to For Eyes, my usual eyeglasses store. After shipping them off to the lab, they told me they can't fit lenses to these frames.

I'm sure someone has successfully bought inserts for the frames. What chain eyeglass store can provide the lenses?

Where are people buying the prescription inserts for the frame that comes with the BT-300? I got an eye exam to bring my prescription up to date and took the inserts to For Eyes, my usual eyeglasses store. After shipping them off to the lab, they told me they can't fit lenses to these frames.

I'm sure someone has successfully bought inserts for the frames. What chain eyeglass store can provide the lenses?
Check out Rochester Optical. They sell inserts with their own frame for your prescription and that compensate for your IPD. They also sell other Moverio stuff. It's a good company.

Check out Rochester Optical. They sell inserts with their own frame for your prescription and that compensate for your IPD. They also sell other Moverio stuff. It's a good company.
Yeah, I've seen the posts about Rochester Optical. May be perfect, but I'm opting for the cheaper route. Epson provided the empty frames, so someone out there must be filling the prescription lenses. I just have to find out who.

I took mines as well to my optometrist, they couldnt do it initially, but another laboratory could do it without issues.

However Rochester optical are the best!

DJI Ultimate Flight V3

Has anyone successfully used this app? It's available for free on the Movario app store. I downloaded the app and flew the Mavic and P3P both with it. It only had some basic features that used the camera, but no maps are available. Since it's designed for waypoint flying, maps need to be available.

It seems to have a lot of features, but when I try to access them it provides a link to the Goggle Play store which of course doesn't work for the BT-300. The missing map may come from Goggle Play also.

It looks like a nice app with the potential of being a Litchi replacement. When I clicked the link to the developers web site and use the "Contact" page to reach the developer, my antivirus program flags it as a 'High Risk" site and wont send the message. The email link to the developer on the Movario store is [email protected], so that goes nowhere. kenargo.com is an unrelated web site.

I certainly don't expect what appears to be a very capable program for free, but it is very unclear how one must proceed to be able to use the program features. Has anyone had success installing the full program and if so how did you do it?

I'm seriously considering the BT-300's for flying my Mavic but after reading through this thread and other reviews I'm still not sure if they're usable - are these still working with the most recent version of DJI GO 4? Anyone using them and completely happy with the results?

Thanks,
Joe

I'm seriously considering the BT-300's for flying my Mavic but after reading through this thread and other reviews I'm still not sure if they're usable - are these still working with the most recent version of DJI GO 4? Anyone using them and completely happy with the results?

Thanks,
Joe

I'm nearsighted. Not badly, but enough to really be a challenge with the Moverio BT-300 glasses. I tried the nose bridge designed to work with existing glasses, but they were unusable. The Bt-300 sat so far forward on my nose that they created a tunnel vision and I couldn't get complete view of the screen. I ordered prescription lenses for the insert frames provided with the BT-300, but my normal eyeglasses lab could not create lenses for the inserts. I've gone to Rochester Labs, and learned that to make the lenses they need mono PD distance (?) as opposed to the normal PD distance measurement. Just one more problem. They agreed to fill my order with the standard pupilary distance (PD) measurement, but grudgingly so. The screen resolution of the BT-300 glasses is great, but form factor is a major disappointment. They need serious work on their design. Considering the ~$800 dollar investment for the BT-300, plus the $200+ cost of prescription lenses, and I'm still not flying, I am not a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
I've got good eyesight and don't require corrective lenses of any type, so hopefully the incompatibility with some corrective lenses would not be a deterrent for me. My main concern is with the aging Android engine and the ever-more-resource-intensive Go 4 app.

Decided to take advantage of Amazon's 30-day return policy and buy the Moverio BT-300's to test out for a couple weeks. If they work well enough I will keep them, otherwise they will go back to Amazon. Looking forward to seeing what kind of results I get from them, and if I have to look into mirroring my Zenpad 10 which works perfectly with the Go 4 app fully updated.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Hi Joe:
Welcome to the forum. I’m not the most experienced BT-300 user here, but I do have some thoughts and opinions. This thread has been relatively quite recently, but I learned a great deal by reading through the previous pages that helped me through the Epson learning curve which can be a bit steep.

I’ve had the DJI goggles since they were released and have worked through most of the problems others are experiencing by doing the following:

1. Bought the Focus-Fixers which eliminates the need to use strong reading glasses. Probem solved.

2. I sometimes wear a ball cap backwards which helps the fit situation. I really never thought the fit was that bad, but the cap helps.

3. I seldom fly in public, so the strange looks one gets when wearing the oversize “box” is not a pronlem. If I do fly in public, I can use the BT-300’s which solve the issue. With these things solved, I find the DJI goggles are great and I’ll be keeping them. They are very different from the BT-300’s as I’ll describe.

When I first learned about the BT-300’s, they seemed interesting, but I was concerned about the high price and my ability to view the drone “behind” the GO app and not be confused with the camera view overlaid on the real word view as depicted on the DJI videos. I decided there was really no way to fully understand the BT-300’s without trying them, so, I ordered a set when I found I could return them within 30 days.

I’m an IOS guy and don’t use Android, so it took a while to learn the basics of the OS. I also normally avoid track pads in favor of mice. I found the BT-300 trackpad difficult to use, particularly when trying to type in information. This was a slow and frustrating process. I ended up pairing an Apple Magic Mouse 2 and a bluetooth keyboard to the device which made the interface much easier. The mouse worked so well, that I’ve since stopped using the keyboard and use the mouse to type on the devices pseudo keyboard.

Updates to the OS and to the DJI apps were the next task, and once that was accomplished, it was time to fly. It will take some time and study to get to this point. While the glasses are technically plug and play, you’ll need to go slowly before flying with them as there is a lot to learn particularly if you aren’t familiar with the Android OS.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the display. I find that if I turn the brightness nearly to max, I can’t see the drone through the app, but by turning my head just slightly, can easily see it on either side of and above or below the app display. The design of the glasses allows you to look over or under them very easily. My fears of seeing the drone and its camera simultaneously causing confusion were unfounded and I quickly adjusted to the glasses.

I’ve been flying real airplanes and helicopters for many years before stating with R/C. For this reason, I’m much more comfortable controlling the drone through its camera rather than by observing it in flight. I’m sure those who started with R/C have a different experience. I find the goggles allow me to fly comfortably in closer proximity to obstacles than I would be able to do using an iPad. The DJI goggles make this close proximity flying easy with the large immersive display. In my estimation, the BT-300’s are about 80% as good for this purpose. I have to work a bit harder, but am able to fly in close proximity to the same objects with a bit more work and concentration due to the smaller, less immersive picture.

The bottom line is I like the BT-300’s very much. They’ve exceeded my expectations. I will probably keep them and the DJI’s as they serve different purposes. Here are some things I’ve learned about their use:

1. If you’re not an Android person, spend some time learning the OS while waiting for the glasses to arrive. Get comfortable using a trackpad.

2. Be sure there are no other programs running in the background when you start the DJI app with the glasses. The DJI GO app seems to use a lot of the processor power and the results, if other apps are open, will be severe pixilation and a great deal of lag.

3. As with most Android devices, the controller battery will charge the BT-300’s while they are connected. Flying my Mavic, after 3 batteries, the controller battery will be about 20%. The glasses have a much longer battery life than the DJI controller when they’re used together.

4. The start sequence is important. Controller, then drone. You can start the glasses, but don’t plug them in until the controller is fully connected with the drone. Then plug the controller into the BT-300 box. If all is well, you’ll get an onscreen display asking you which flavor of the DJI GO app you wish to use. Make your selection and the app will start and you’ll be good to go. Side note - with the older DJI GO app installed, I can use the glasses to fly my P3P. Can’t use the DJI goggles to do this, so a plus for the BT’s.

My Concerns:

1. As Joe mentioned I share his concern about the older version of Android that is installed. There seems to be no effort on the part of Epson to update the OS. It may not even be possible. The device seems to need all the processor power it has when running the DJI apps. I’m concerned that future DJI features will have issues as they become more processor dependent.

2. Last fall, DJI and Epson indicated they had a working relationship and DJI produced some tutorial videos showing tips on using the BT-300’s with DJI products. Epson also indicated they were working on their own new apps that would even better work with DJI products. They indicated these would be ready in a few months. That was more than six months ago and nothing has been released. Subsequent to this, DJI released their own goggles. I wonder if they are still working with Epson?

3. The BT-300’s can’t access the Google Play store to obtain the normal selection of Android apps apparently because Google does not want competition for any future similar products they might release. There are other place to obtain apk’s for apps, but they are limited. Epson has it’s own Movario app store for the glasses, but the selections are very limited and many are in the Japanese language. In short, other than for the DJI apps, I see no reason why anyone would want the product other than to fly drones.

4. AR vs. VR. Let’s clarify the differences between these two terms. VR is Virtual Reality. The DJI Goggles are VR in that they only show the camera view and are not connected to the actual outside world of the user. Oculus Rift is VR as it projects wonderful images that are entirely virtual with no connection to the users’ outside world. Epson has sold the BT-300’s as an Augmented Reality product, which means they are capable of overlaying information such as NFZ’s, waypoints, the actual location of the drone, etc. on the screen. In their promotional video they show the glasses being used to fly a phantom with AR information displayed.

I’m concerned that this product is advertised but has never been made available. What we currently have is a VR display of a tablet screen projected onto a transparent surface. This is not AR. With the processor power seemingly limited, I question if real AR is even possible with this product.

5. Since the advertised updates have not been released, I wonder if the product is already obsolete. Maybe the BT-400’s or 500’s will have more capability. I’m about 90% sure I’ll keep the glasses as they do a good job for me, are portable and a good addition to the DJI Goggles, but others may have differing opinions.

Sorry this is so long, but I’d like to get this thread active again and hear others opinions on these subjects.

Last edited:
I've gone to Rochester Labs, and learned that to make the lenses they need mono PD distance (?) as opposed to the normal PD distance measurement. Just one more problem. They agreed to fill my order with the standard pupilary distance (PD) measurement, but grudgingly so.
Most people have asymmetric faces, so the mono PD distances (ie different for left and right sides) will actually allow them to make the lenses provide the best vision correction for each eye. How is that a problem?

Thanks,
Joe
My BT-300s run the latest GO4 just fine. As KeithM says in his excellent review, just watch what else you have running at the same time. As for the Android OS, DJI thinks it is good enough to put on their Crystalsky displays. Like DJI, Epson has it customized for the Moverios, so this is as good as it gets. I haven't had any problems so far, and the ability to fly in bright sunlight with the BT-300s make them worth the cost IMO.

4. AR vs. VR. Let’s clarify the differences between these two terms. VR is Virtual Reality. The DJI Goggles are VR in that they only show the camera view and are not connected to the actual outside world of the user. Oculus Rift is VR as it projects wonderful images that are entirely virtual with no connection to the users’ outside world. Epson has sold the BT-300’s as an Augmented Reality product, which means they are capable of overlaying information such as NFZ’s, waypoints, the actual location of the drone, etc. on the screen. In their promotional video they show the glasses being used to fly a phantom with AR information displayed.

That is a good point. The Moverio promo video did advertise true augmented reality functions, i.e., displays that would interact with the real world as seen through the glasses. In reality, it's more of just an image projection into your field of view. A couple of years ago I got to test a prototype of the Microsoft Hololens, which is real augmented reality. Very impressive. It tracked table surfaces (etc) and could project images onto a real table (in the glasses), and would keep the object image on the table even when you turned your head away. Of course Hololens is $3000, way out of my price range, and I don't think there are a lot of usable apps out there for it yet. Whereas it would be cool to have the true AR capabilities, I'm happy with the simple image projection of the BT-300. I just wish the form factor was a little more user friendly for me.

Thanks for all the input guys, my BT-300s will be here tomorrow so I'm looking forward to trying them out then being able to contribute to this thread. I'm very familiar with the Android OS, and I purchased a mini Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad that should make navigation and input much easier. Will update this thread tomorrow or Sunday with my first impressions.

-Joe

I thought I had posted my impressions of the BT-300's but I guess not. The technology is neat, and for a more reasonable price I could see using these glasses in certain situations, drone flying and not. However, because they can't access the Google Play store they are crippled in their ability to access quality apps, which meant it took me hours of fiddling before I could finally get a version of DJI GO 4 that wouldn't fail to download the resource file when installing.

After finally getting the correct version installed, which had to come from the confusing Moverio app store, I was finally able to fly with the glasses. The video feed is good quality and I had no problem seeing the screen in bright sunlight with the dark shade installed. However, there was a little intermittent video lag which I don't get on my tablet, and I would still lose sight of my drone when focusing on the video feed. The worst part, as others have mentioned, are the controls. The trackpad works but not great, and in a system designed for a touchscreen a trackpad is a poor replacement, especially for focusing or navigating menus.

Overall these are a cool toy for composing video on the Mavic, but due to the lag and lousy controls I didn't find them worth the hefty price tag. I'm sure with more use I could get used to them, but for the price I was not impressed.

-Joe

Last edited:
Joe:

I agree with most of your comments. The lack of access to Goggle Play is very limiting and few of the Movario apps have any usefulness. I was able to download the DJI GO4 app and the latest revision to it directly from the Movario app store with no issues. I believe this app is tailored for the BT-300's and is the one to use as opposed to side loading the normally available version.

Each time I've experienced lag, it was because another program was running in the background and/or because I was very near my wireless router.

I also find the trackpad difficult to use and have been using an Apple Mouse, but as I get more accustomed to the trackpad, I use the mouse less.

I've got the DJI Goggles, iPhone 7 and several iPads, but find I use the BT-300's as my default. Initially, I thought I'd return them, but at this point, I've decided to keep them in spite of the hefty price and limited app capability. If Epson ever produces the program they show in their advertising which is actual AR instead the VR we now are using, it will be a game changer.

Sent you a PM. I can sure use the mont. Thanks,

Keith

Don't waste much time with the Epson app store. You can side load any app apk. Try a site like apkpure.com. Start by grabbing the Amazon appstore apk. Then you can access all the apps there.

Hello Will.i.am, sorry for my english but i'm french.
I have installed apkpure but after installed for example Youtube, when i wish to start the app, a message said 'that lost somethings from GooglePlay'.
I must to installed Amazon and after that dowload youtube from Amazon and it's work ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31