DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extremely experienced pilot, lost my Mavic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand why you’re so hostile to people offering their ideas and advice. That’s the purpose of this forum after all. I agree with the person that said a knock off battery for $89 is ridiculous when you can buy the real thing for the same price. If you are “Mr. Experience” you should have known better, gift or not. Don’t be an *******, especially when others are here to help you.

I don’t understand why you’re so hostile to people offering their ideas and advice. That’s the purpose of this forum after all. I agree with the person that said a knock off battery for $89 is ridiculous when you can buy the real thing for the same price. If you are “Mr. Experience” you should have known better, gift or not. Don’t be an *******, especially when others are here to help you.
With people like the OP, I will never offer help when I saw his selfish comments... I skipped the thread and move on.

With people like the OP, I will never offer help when I saw his selfish comments... I skipped the thread and move on.
But you did not skip the thread :) I have seen posters not like sar104 answers as to why their bird "just fell out of the sky for no reason" and argue with him when has shown them with the flight logs exactly what happened. Amusing...

Reactions: genesimmons
I don't mind the banter back and forth. Sometimes strong comments do make us think and sometimes when we're at fault for something we tend to do our best to avoid the truth, just having trouble admitting or even figuring out what we did wrong. We've all done that. It is natural. So when you come here you should expect reactions from all angles. Hopefully it helps either figure out what happened or how to execute a plan to get back in the air. We're "brothers" in the same hobby just trying to help each other. Each time we deal with someone's problem we are actually hoping to avoid it ourselves. After all I've read on the forum I am definitely not going to buy an aftermarket item like batteries or props. Other things that don't have to do with the motion of the drone, yes.

Reactions: Bergumbira
Drives me crazy when people tell others how to fly and what not to do!! You fly your way and leave me alone, I fly just fine and very good at that!!

I didn't tell him how to fly. I merely made the statement: don't use non-OEM batteries or props. I don't think anyone here would argue with that advise.....well I guess 2 would. :rolleyes: I thought the purpose of this board was for experienced pilots to share info with those that don't know any better. My bad.

So I received a 89$ Chinese knock-off battery as a gift and it had great reviews.

Used it for a few flights, everything went well.

But today, I decided to travel 4km and come back with said Chinese battery. Went 4km into the canyon, came back to around 1km distance, and still had 50% left. With my experience, I knew that I could safely mess around for another ~7 minutes.

But the voltage started draining REAL fast. I tried coming back, but the drone dropped at about 600 meters from my point. At 0%.

So the flight lasted 12:29 minutes.

The battery drained itself from 100% to 0% in 12 ******* minutes. I can usually do at least 21 minutes. No, there was no wind.

Kinda my fault, since I trusted this cheap ******* Chinese battery.

So, there's nothing I can do now. Here's the point of this post: I need another mavic, but ONLY the aircraft itself. You guys know a place that sells Mavic aircrafts without remote or charger
?
DJI does or did, but not much of a savings. Like $759.00 Might go down if Mavic Pro II comes out soon.

Reactions: Bergumbira
I
Boy I dunno... At 10% battery, if I wasn't on short approach and in full visual of my drone, I'd be looking for ANYWHERE to land it as quick as possible. Any shrub patch. Any open spot. Any roof top, anything but water. Even a messy landing is better than trying for more distance. Airport fixation kills pilots all the time.

I was over a canyon, a 500 meters deep canyon. I tried landing to the closest edge but the battery drained too fast.

It wasn't user error, nor airport fixation.

I wasn't being an ***. I pointed out that I didn't need advice, and they got aggressive.

I admitted that I shouldn't have trusted the Chinese battery in the OP. They don't need to tell me what I already know.

Reactions: Akoztha and Tony56
I don't mind the banter back and forth. Sometimes strong comments do make us think and sometimes when we're at fault for something we tend to do our best to avoid the truth, just having trouble admitting or even figuring out what we did wrong. We've all done that. It is natural. So when you come here you should expect reactions from all angles. Hopefully it helps either figure out what happened or how to execute a plan to get back in the air. We're "brothers" in the same hobby just trying to help each other. Each time we deal with someone's problem we are actually hoping to avoid it ourselves. After all I've read on the forum I am definitely not going to buy an aftermarket item like batteries or props. Other things that don't have to do with the motion of the drone, yes.
Oh, I'm not denying that it was my mistake to use the cheap battery. Read the original post.

Reactions: Tony56
Come on guys. Your making him mad now. He said “experienced” not smart.
He asked a simple question. Where can he get the absolute cheapest replacement for his lost aircraft. You know, just like his battery choice.

Very childish from your part. I didn't insult anyone, stop with your immature name-calling.

In and above are the same thing
Not exactly - if you were flying in the canyon (below the canyon walls), then you might have encountered the 'jet effect'.

This "jet effect" is caused by the canyon walls standing close to each other, the wind blows stronger in the direction into the canyon. As you were headed out of the canyon you might encounter excessive headwind and therefore unusual battery drop.

If you were flying above the canyon, the 'jet effect' was not affecting your flight.

Not exactly - if you were flying in the canyon (below the canyon walls), then you might have encountered the 'jet effect'.

This "jet effect" is caused by the canyon walls standing close to each other, the wind blows stronger in the direction into the canyon. As you were headed out of the canyon you might encounter excessive headwind and therefore unusual battery drop.

If you were flying above the canyon, the 'jet effect' was not affecting your flight.

That's interesting. I was flying over the canyon in this case, and I made sure that there was no excessive winds before the flight.

Also, my top speed was normal. When i encounter headwind, my aircraft gets slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent