DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extremely experienced pilot, lost my Mavic

Status
Not open for further replies.
But surely in the knowledge that it was not a genuine DJI battery, would your experience told you to test fly the battery when you first obtained it.
That may well have shown up it’s failings.
Not really an experienced flyer myself, pretty new to it. But I do evaluate things as a commonsense approach to how I fly.
A lesson for all to learn, do not just accept anything without first checking it out.

I think that's excellent advice to any one changing something significant and able to affect performance like props, battery or RC antenna; go for a "round the block" flight for a full flight duration, we call that a 'shakedown' in engineering, and it's done with everything from a family car post-service, to an oil tanker with a new propeller to make sure nothing falls off when you go to use it. Accidents happen in manufacture/assembly, materials can vary in quality, even if QA clears it at the factory, a few months in a boiling hot/freezing cold ship container can change that state by the time you get it.

I don't think OEM or not is a big deal if both are made to the same spec - I remember reading about many people getting a "bad" Mavic out of the box when they were rushing the units out last year. But it's just good common sense to limit your risk with unknown, unproven equipment. I was wary with the new DJI battery I bought earlier this year. It may be OEM, but you never know if the guy in the factory had a bad day, or the delivery guys left it out in the rain for an hour then dried it out.

It's why real pilots have checklists, strain fuel and do run-ups every flight. It's annoying as hell when you just want to go for a rip, but I've gone back to hangar before because something wasn't right during the run-up. Stuff just, breaks, sometimes. It's the "pilot"'s job the notice.

Last edited:
Noln, great advice. To their credit, OP did mention they'd had several successful flights with the gift battery.

FWIW, I read a lot more fretting and FUD on these forums about hypothetical battery failures, than any actual reports of them, beyond this one. And I don't know if I've ever read one documented with actual flight data revealing sudden power loss or drain, though presumably they're out there somewhere.

Reactions: noln
Noln, great advice. To their credit, OP did mention they'd had several successful flights with the gift battery.

FWIW, I read a lot more fretting and FUD on these forums about hypothetical battery failures, than any actual reports of them, beyond this one. And I don't know if I've ever read one documented with actual flight data revealing sudden power loss or drain, though presumably they're out there somewhere.

There are plenty of documented cases of sudden power loss, although far more are on the Phantom forum than the Mavic forum. Unusual rates of power drain are also well-documented, but are generally due to taking off with a less-than-fully charged battery, and result from an incorrect initial estimate by the battery firmware of the level of charge. I've seen very few cases of non-OEM batteries causing problems, but then I've no idea how commonly they are used.

Reactions: KeithLa
My Mavic was a "fly more combo" with 3 genuine batteries. As the charger can hold four I decided to buy one extra Genuine battery from Dji official resealer. As the battery not come with the silver oval sticker I decided to use it only for grounded operations as software updates and other kind of No-fly but powered maintenance.
Which "extremely experienced pilot" can accept non-OEM battery from any source, even from friend gift? (lol) Is like if an Extremely experienced Air Traveller accept to carry an unknown content luggage ...

DJI is the Apple of UAVs, which is why technology illiterate people like you are so fond of this brand.

With FPV racers or model airplanes, there are no "OEM" batteries. You search for a battery's name, look at its reviews and if they are great then it shouldn't fail you. A battery has never failed me in the past, except after a hard crash (or in the case of the Mavic).

perfect example of ''lost my mavic,not my fault'' threads
Literally in the original post I said:

"Kinda my fault since I trusted this cheap battery".

You really cannot read, huh?

I think for cheaper Mavic you may ask your friend who provided the killer-gift battery for a matching fake-copy Mavic, then they will go along perfectly :)
My friend didnt knew that it was a knock-off.

Sorry for the lack of information on the battery's brand.

Earlier in this thread, I said that "It's the battery with the fake button".

Just checked Powerextra on Amazon, and it checks out. I can confirm that my battery was a Powerextra, which my friend paid 89$ on Amazon (DJI batteries used to be 99$, back in June).

Literally in the original post I said:

"Kinda my fault since I trusted this cheap battery".

You really cannot read, huh?
oh ok,so you were kinda at fault:p

Sorry for the lack of information on the battery's brand.

Earlier in this thread, I said that "It's the battery with the fake button".

Just checked Powerextra on Amazon, and it checks out. I can confirm that my battery was a Powerextra, which my friend paid 89$ on Amazon (DJI batteries used to be 99$, back in June).

These seem to get good reviews. Are you sure that it was a battery problem? What does the flight log show in terms of battery depletion profile?

Reactions: KeithLa
"When I have access to a better internet".
LOL.

It happens to us all ....

Hope you get sorted out.

These seem to get good reviews. Are you sure that it was a battery problem? What does the flight log show in terms of battery depletion profile?
MiniPalourde, I have the same question as sar104.

Also, you lost the aircraft entirely, correct? If you'd recovered it damaged, it'd be interesting to do some non-flight bench testing to replicate the drain behavior you experienced.

I can't be completely certain that it was the battery (could have been some kind of short on another part of the Mavic) but I can 100% confirm that there was a sudden battery drain. Note that my Mavic was like new, very well maintained, in a salt-free area and had never been crashed before.

I haven't looked at the log yet (just the flight record) but I'll check it tomorrow.

Last edited:
MiniPalourde, I have the same question as sar104.

Also, you lost the aircraft entirely, correct? If you'd recovered it damaged, it'd be interesting to do some non-flight bench testing to replicate the drain behavior you experienced.

Yep, completely lost the aircraft. It's in a very deep canyon, which I won't name because I'll get insulted on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost