DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
And while we're on the topic of "schemes"... Pilot Institute has a regular price (as of this writing) of $249 for their "Part 107 Commercial Drone License Course" ostensibly to prepare you to take the FAA's Part 107 test, as it is commonly referred to. Pilot Institute may want to take a look in the mirror as all of the information you need to pass the Part 107 test is available COMPLETELY FREE at https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/policy_library/#107.
I don’t think @pilotinstitute ever claims that the information isn’t available for free from the FAA for studying to take the 107 certification test. The same can be said for the information to become a private pilot, but there are numerous flight schools across the country.

I don’t think @pilotinstitute ever claims that the information isn’t available for free from the FAA for studying to take the 107 certification test. The same can be said for the information to become a private pilot, but there are numerous flight schools across the country.
Even better, we share all these documents in the first few lectures of our course, and we also provide additional docs :)
And we don't hide behind anonymous LLCs and you know who owns our company and what we do for the industry :)

Last edited:
Yes it is crazy when you search FAA Drone Registration and up pops every other site but the FAA. This happened to me and thanks to you Greg and your videos I did not fall for the trap. I started on one site and filled out the required info and then at checkout realized the scam. Went back and searched again and again every other scammer showed. It did take a while to find the true FAA site. I hope all of us continue putting this info out there so no one else falls for these scammers.

I am enrolled in the Part 107 Course and believe me. Greg is a fantastic Instructor and you will benefit big time by his course. Now you can search the internet and youtube and even the FAA site but he puts it all together in a very organize way. I got the course at the Black Friday sale and I am glad I did. I have a Private Pilot's License but it has been years since I studied. Probably could pass the test without the course but it would be in the 70% area. and I would not have learned the specifics for Drones.

I recommend this to anyone who wants to get a 107 ride.

And while we're on the topic of "schemes"... Pilot Institute has a regular price (as of this writing) of $249 for their "Part 107 Commercial Drone License Course" ostensibly to prepare you to take the FAA's Part 107 test, as it is commonly referred to. Pilot Institute may want to take a look in the mirror as all of the information you need to pass the Part 107 test is available COMPLETELY FREE at https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/policy_library/#107.
@flylegitllc Yes...every bit of the information that you need is included on the FAA site...I have paid for and finished the Pilotinstitute course ...and passed the test first time. As someone who took the @pilotinstitute course I can tell you that each one of the links for the appropriate FAA pages is provided in the introductory section of the video, before the course even gets started on the study material. If you want the links, PM me and I will send them to you...but I do not think you will be able to make any sense out of any of the material. During the time of the course I had questions that I emailed and to which I received responses ...clear direct, non generic, personalized responses within a very reasonable time...less than a few hours...even at night and on weekends. Greg, the instructor is clear with his diagrams, and other visual aids. At the time, I did somewhat resent spending the money, but looking back I realize that I would not have passed the test, had I not taken the course, and I now consider that money to be an investment that did pay off for me ...and I did fly small single engine aircraft a long time ago, so I had some familiarity with the subject matter...I can assure you that the cost of the Pilotinstitute course ( which is always discounted for members of this forum by a hundred dolars ) is a good deal, and includes a money back guarantee, and you get to keep the course on your computer for future reference.......it is definitely not a scheme.

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
When I bought my first drone during Black Friday in 2017 I had zero knowledge of rules and regulations regarding them. There was a small placard in the box that gave the basic rules of keep it in sight, don’t fly over 400’, etc.

That was so minuscule and uninformative that I got on the web and started searching for information. I found the rules for recreational flight quite readily and just happened to learn that the need to register had recently been reinstated at that time.

The article I was reading stated that the fee was $5 and you could register at the FAADroneZone. A search brought up what I thought was the right website and I entered all my information hit the submit button and was shocked to see a $60 fee that was going to be charged to my credit card. I canceled that order right then and there, then started searching again for the DroneZone. There was a list of no less than 20 fake DroneZone sites at that time all charging $40 and up to register you with the FAA. I located the REAL FAADroneZone site and saved it as a favorite in my browser, registered, paid my $5, printed my registration, placed the registration on my aircraft, and went flying the next day.

Not long after that I became a member at one of our sister forums. I noticed several people posting about the scam the FAA was pulling by charging more than the $5 to register. Of course that was people falling victim to the scam sites. I posted a thread about it back in very early 2018 warning people not to fall victim to them.

If you want labels for your aircraft and don’t want to print your own, by all means find a place to do that job for you. To register your drone go the place provided by the agency that requires you to register FAADroneZone

Yes it is crazy when you search FAA Drone Registration and up pops every other site but the FAA. This happened to me and thanks to you Greg and your videos I did not fall for the trap. I started on one site and filled out the required info and then at checkout realized the scam. Went back and searched again and again every other scammer showed. It did take a while to find the true FAA site. I hope all of us continue putting this info out there so no one else falls for these scammers.
I fell for this prior to seeing the section in PilotInstitute Part 107 course.

I'll be using the free sticker service once my drone registrations move from Recreational to Part 107.

We are happy to announce that we've shipped free drone registration stickers to 10,000 people since we started this campaign in July last year. After hearing from our students about how they felt deceived by scheme websites that mimic the FAA registration site, we decided to take action.

Remember, in order to legally fly your drone, you are supposed to register it in most cases. It costs only $5 if you do it on the FAA Drone Zone.

Based on the amazing feedback we received from the community, we plan on continuing to offer free drone registration stickers to more people and build additional public awareness. Get your at Free FAA Drone Registration Stickers - Pilot Institute

Reactions: Korrd
The quality isn't great (we got some last year) but it sounds to me like $5,800 in postage out of your pocket plus supplies for what has proven to be a very ineffective strategy to fight against us. Each time you post something like this we are only emboldened to try even harder, so thank you for that. More coming from us soon.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka