DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA "NO DRONES" Sign

You mean like the recommended signage they provide here.
Excellent pick-up... Hadn't seen this until you pointed it out..... Thanks!
Still, I think FAA only sells them... can't imagine they have the manpower to place them.

Sedona, AZ is notorious for having posted a buncnch of signs they attribute to FAA falsely

Reactions: Drgnfli and Malcx
Excellent pick-up... Hadn't seen this until you pointed it out..... Thanks!
Still, I think FAA only sells them... can't imagine they have the manpower to place them.

Sedona, AZ is notorious for having posted a buncnch of signs they attribute to FAA falsely
The FAA doesn't actually provide the signs or place them. It's just a digital image that you can use to make a sign. I think they assume that they will be placed responsibly in true no-fly zones but as you noted, places like Sedona will abuse them.

Reactions: Thomas B
The DJI software will not allow you to fly in this area unless you have a FAA clearance and a 107 cert
I'm sure that's not quite true, it's probably an authorization zone that can be self-unlocked from the app.

But that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about the sign, not the app. The sign could point out that the area is generally prohibited from flight because it is in controlled airspace with zero altitude clearance for UAV and not because the property managers decided they didn't want any drones in it.

It would have been nice if the sign indicated why/under what FAA rules it was an NFZ. Otherwise one might think it's only a takeoff/land/operate rule not governed by the FAA where a flyover would not be restricted.

Well drone operators should be checking their nearby airspace before any flight anyway.
The DJI software will not allow you to fly in this area unless you have a FAA clearance and a 107 cert

Actually I took a look on DJI's GeoMap and it looks like DJI failed to mark the area as controlled airspace. I'm not sure DJI will prohibit flight there even though it's not legal without authorization.

That area is Class E4 airspace at the surface and does require a clearance to fly in. I’d guess that the FAA is just placing the signs up to the average (and ignorant) person on the street with a drone who flies the thing without any other though as though it was a toy.

That area is Class E4 airspace at the surface and does require a clearance to fly in. I’d guess that the FAA is just placing the signs up to the average (and ignorant) person on the street with a drone who flies the thing without any other though as though it was a toy.
I don’t think FAA places these signs. They do sell them though.

WOW... Pardon me for asking a question, I thought this was a friendly open forum for Mavic Pilots to post their footage and discuss all topics and get guidance
VanP not to be sticking my nose into other folks space...
But I will!
I think that post came out the wrong way, no disrespect was intended.
Its the times we live in right now.
Most of us are edge.
Its still a friendly open forum.
Keep those questions coming! ?

What does the map say? That does not look like an official FAA sign.
Actually, it is a NFZ if this is the location on the river you are referring to. 0 AGL. Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.21.19 PM.png

The sign that I photographed and posted had a notice on its back that identified it as an official sign with penalties for tampering with it, and with a hologram type of seal on the notice.

Get an Ultralight or powered parachute - according to the FAA, they aren't aircraft! By the way, took my commercial pilot check ride at that airport.
I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. FAR 103? FAA 107? There are definitely FAA rules, guidelines and restrictions for ultralights and Powered Parachutes ( PPC ) !!

To add to what dawgpilot and Vic Moss have said, the area surrounding the Golden Ray is an active incident response. I was at St. Simons Island last weekend as part of that response. There are helicopters flying in that area regularly and boats monitoring the water for debris and injured wildlife within a wide radius around the Golden Ray. They are currently cutting it apart, which is why the large yellow crane is over it. The cutting started on November 6, and so activity around the ship picked up then. There are also around 4,200 cars on the ship still.

Also note that all of Jekyll Island is a no fly zone because it is a State Park and Georgia considers all state parks to be no fly zones.

Here is the website for this incident HOME | St. Simons Response

“The 150-yard safety zone around the Environmental Protection Barrier is increased to 200 yards for recreational vessels. The UC advises mariners to please steer clear of the perimeter. Any unauthorized usage of drones (unmanned aerial vehicles) around the wreck site is prohibited. Responders will report any sightings of drones and drone operators to local authorities.”

Regardless of the sign, most of St Simons Island is in controlled airspace due to the proximity of the local airport and the facility map has a maximum permissible altitude of 0 AGL. This means recreational pilots cannot get authorization to fly there and Part 107 pilots need to seek "further coordination" in advance if they want the possibility of getting permission to fly.

View attachment 117248
Good research.

Welcome to the Forum, this forum is a large majority of very serious pilots.
We take seriously the privilege we have of flying these drones for recreation, and
working pilots to make a living with these sky cams. This is a friendly and open forum, and we are discussing your topic. Your getting feed back to your questions, we are all learning every day. Not just from one pilot but several, pilots
as well. This is a great opportunity to learn, and grow, and fly with the eagles.

Regardless of the sign, most of St Simons Island is in controlled airspace due to the proximity of the local airport and the facility map has a maximum permissible altitude of 0 AGL. This means recreational pilots cannot get authorization to fly there and Part 107 pilots need to seek "further coordination" in advance if they want the possibility of getting permission to fly.

View attachment 117248
@dawgpilot what app are you using?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura