DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration to be required again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is absolutely about registering a drone! You have to put its registration number ON THE DRONE, and your AMA Number on it also, since I have one. It is just one more step in making it more difficult to fly.

Neither of those statements is correct. For Part 101 (hobby) registration you register yourself and use that same FAA registration number on any drones that you own. You don't register individual drones. And there is no requirement to put you AMA number on any drone.

Reactions: Fireproof
Why would you put an ama number on a drone. Joining the ama is not required. Nor will I join them.

In addition to the brochure in the box idea, it would go alot further if DJI provided an “unlock code” for FAA registered pilots. The unlock code would give easy GUI access to all flight parameters (except perhaps parameters where in all cases it would be unsafe to use them or changing them would cause the drone not to fly). With the entry of the FAA registration number, serial number of the drone, and name/address of pilot, the DJI software could also write the FAA number to the drone as well as unlock the parameters.

In addition to the brochure in the box idea, it would go alot further if DJI provided an “unlock code” for FAA registered pilots. The unlock code would give easy GUI access to all flight parameters (except perhaps parameters where in all cases it would be unsafe to use them or changing them would cause the drone not to fly). With the entry of the FAA registration number, serial number of the drone, and name/address of pilot, the DJI software could also write the FAA number to the drone as well as unlock the parameters.

Brochure Yes, more restrictions No!
Unless of course DJI start giving away their products for free, then it would be fine.

But after paying £1400 for a dji product, i dont want any more hoops to jump through, no matter how well intentioned.
Plus why should i, or others suffer for the irresponsible actions of a very small minority.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
The classic cartoon linked above, well-known here in the USA, does a pretty good job of explaining the process, but avoids all the backroom deals, corruption and bribes that sometimes occur to get laws passed. We have far too many laws, many of them just flat-out purchased by one special interest or another to get what they want.

To give you a simple answer though, no - the President's signature on a bill is the final step of a long process, after a bill (called a "bill" until it's finally a law) is passed by both our House and Senate (the two branches of our Federal Congress). Then it goes to the President for signature, but he has the option to NOT sign it, called a veto, stopping it from becoming a law. A veto can go back to the Congress and be overridden into law without the President's agreement, but it requires far more supporting votes to do it. This system, called Checks & Balances, is supposed to prevent any single part of our government from unilaterally having its way without broad support from the others.

Our President has NO authority whatsoever to create or change laws on his own; he can suggest laws and changes to laws to Congress, but they have to do it - the President's primary responsibility is to manage the implementation and enforcement of laws.

Since I was very young and first grasped how our system is set up via a method created in 1791 (when our Constitution was adopted), I've been thoroughly impressed by, and proud of, the insights and wisdom of those men long ago - they did a pretty darn good job creating a system from scratch. And they wrote down their thinking and reasoning along the way, so we know what was in their minds as it unfolded over several years. Many disagreements, many arguments, but they finally hammered out an agreement for the ages.

These days, as with this silly registration, it's getting harder to remember that our USA government was created to secure the individual liberties of free, self-governing citizens. Millions of laws that now exist hide that noble goal.

End of sermon, but any questions feel free to post or private-message me. Thanks for your interest in our process.
PT_Mavic, I like your attitude, but don't share your admiration of the system. "Checks and balances" are a fourth-grade civics class fairy tale. Every branch is part of the same government, and when you have a dispute with the government, the government gets to decide who is right. It's like if you and I were neighbors and had a dispute over a property line, and my wife gets to decide. Only when the government controls schools can people be bamboozled into thinking this constitutes freedom.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
I didn’t say anything about more restrictions. I meant that if an owner wanted to easily unlock all the stuff discussed in this forum, then they could voluntarily register with the FAA (US owners of course) and enter the resulting reg number in DJI GO 4 to get easy user interface access.

If you didn’t want to register you could fly stock or mod per the instructions in the modding forums (which are not easy to follow).

Be very, very quiet I've shot two home Invaders in my life and served in the military for 20 years. Did 2 1\2 combat tours (injured during 3rd) so I've shot more than game and have been shot. I did however use a 12ga to shoot the first invader, 00 buck shot tore a good portion of his leg off and painted it on my kitchen cupboards. 2nd was with a Sig 226, non lethal shot, also in the leg to incapacitate. Minimum cleanup required. I used to have two Chinese AKs but they were modified and illegal, so I got rid of them before I got into trouble. You know, Elmer Fudd isn't all that bad really. At least I'm not Yosemite Sam!

You sure are "lucky" to have shot two home invaders, most people never have to shoot even one. The fact that you use the concept of "shooting them in the leg to incapacitate" especially with a handgun tells me you know nothing about defensive shooting & probably should have been prosecuted for both situations, if they even happened. I'm betting they didn't. That's all I got. Out.

Reactions: Lon Denard
We need to keep it civil and on topic in this thread please or I will be forced to shut it down. Please be kind to each other.

PT_Mavic, I like your attitude, but don't share your admiration of the system. "Checks and balances" are a fourth-grade civics class fairy tale. Every branch is part of the same government, and when you have a dispute with the government, the government gets to decide who is right. It's like if you and I were neighbors and had a dispute over a property line, and my wife gets to decide. Only when the government controls schools can people be bamboozled into thinking this constitutes freedom.
I fully, 100% agree with you, but I didn't want to go down that road to open yet another divergent discussion and since I was responding to a foreign national I figured I'd explain it as simply as possible and as originally intended in order to address his original question.

( MOD REMOVED POLITICAL RANT ) dc

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22