DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration to be required again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm stirring the pot but seriously, aren't you all the guys that go on and on about "responsible flying"? Well, if you're following all the rules anyway, what difference does it make registering?

I agree that registering with the FAA and getting a number which must be put on drone is no big deal. It improves the chances of catching someone who crashes their drone or causes damage and tries to flee the scene. It allows the hobbyist to fly but not crash anonymously which seems reasonable to me if we are talking about 1lb+UAVs with props. My concern is whether its just the leading edge of the wedge following right behind.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Does it bother anyone that all the articles (and there have been many) say that “now your DRONES have to be registered...”

That’s incorrect. You don’t have to register the drone. Or each drone. It doesn’t ask for your bird’s serial number or anything. You’re registering YOURSELF as a pilot of unmanned aircraft.

:rolleyes:

That was correct until yesterday. The Feds haven't updated their site

Are we completely sure that bit does not still apply ?

Isnt this all just bringing back in to force exactly what was in place before?, as if you read through the details it just says "restoration of what was in force before"
Or have they re written the whole thing and removed the model aircraft exception etc.

Ive been on a few model aircraft forums and there is nothing, if they have done away with the exception id have expected at least some of them to be jumping up and down and tearing out their beards, or is it just us drone owners in a vocal rage about it ;)

Are we completely sure that bit does not still apply ?

Isnt this all just bringing back in to force exactly what was in place before?, as if you read through the details it just says "restoration of what was in force before"
Or have they re written the whole thing and removed the model aircraft exception etc.

Ive been on a few model aircraft forums and there is nothing, if they have done away with the exception id have expected at least some of them to be jumping up and down and tearing out their beards, or is it just us drone owners in a vocal rage about it ;)
That bit does not apply! And yes, this is brings back what was in place before. The difference is the regulation will be backed up by Federal law.

Does it bother anyone that all the articles (and there have been many) say that “now your DRONES have to be registered...”

That’s incorrect. You don’t have to register the drone. Or each drone. It doesn’t ask for your bird’s serial number or anything. You’re registering YOURSELF as a pilot of unmanned aircraft.

And you are 100% correct and many of us (including myself) is guilty of saying this, probably because of the mindset that many folks only own one drone. So I humbly apologize for my transgression and beg for forum forgiveness!

And you are 100% correct and many of us (including myself) is guilty of saying this, probably because of the mindset that many folks only own one drone. So I humbly apologize for my transgression and beg for forum forgiveness!

LOL. Yeah - no biggie. Pre-purchase, I was doing some research to understand what I was getting into, and had the impression that I needed to register my drone. But then when I went to the FAA site, I learned differently. Just a nuance.

LOL. Yeah - no biggie. Pre-purchase, I was doing some research to understand what I was getting into, and had the impression that I needed to register my drone. But then when I went to the FAA site, I learned differently. Just a nuance.

As a hobbyist you register you, the operator. Once you have your FAA Reg# you apply it to any and all "hobby" aircraft. The same # over and over again.

But if you decide to delve into the Part 107 Civil Operations world you have to go back and register as a Commercial Aircraft (still $5 for 3 year) but you are indeed registering a specific aircraft. In this instance the Reg# is for that single aircraft and multiple aircraft will EACH require the $5 registration and a unique Reg#.

Commercially registered aircraft can fly for hobby or Civil operations.
Hobby registered aircraft can ONLY fly for hobby and no Civil operations what so ever.

*Side Note: Part 107 Civil operations is the Catch All for any sUAS aircraft operations we might fly and Commercial is but one such operation that falls under Part 107 Civil Operations. Every sUAS is a Civil operation and falls under either Public Use COA/Exemption, Part 107, or Hobby/Recreational. Those three categories encompass all sUAS flights.

I said private sales are LEGAL in my state as in “up and up” and yes.... and thanks for implying that I am a mass murderer.

Yea and that's what all the gun control people are always talking about. They claim it's how crazy people get guns. Isn't it how you circumvent the back ground checks? In stead of buying your guns at Cabela's, you buy them from some dude on Craigslist? I don't mind getting gun permits and registering my guns. It seems like a good way to keep track of them to me.

I agree that registering with the FAA and getting a number which must be put on drone is no big deal. It improves the chances of catching someone who crashes their drone or causes damage and tries to flee the scene. It allows the hobbyist to fly but not crash anonymously which seems reasonable to me if we are talking about 1lb+UAVs with props. My concern is whether its just the leading edge of the wedge following right behind.

Yes but doesn't the "slippery slope" argument get a little old sometimes? I mean, it's constantly used as a clarion call against any laws or regulations. "Today they are regulating ______ but mark my words, they'll be coming for your ______ next!"

Reactions: sar104
People who could only get government jobs know best, so if all the criminals and terrorists are going to register their drones, then I suppose we should too. :confused:

So no one should get back ground checks to buy guns because criminals don't? I don't want to align myself with the bad elements in our world, I'll choose law and order every time. I don't do what's right because everyone else does, I do what's right because it's what's right. If it's the law to register my drone, I'll register my drone. If it isn't then I won't.

Reactions: paulmike3

That's exactly correct. Then you put the reg number on the drone saying it's yours.

Reactions: Fireproof
Yea and that's what all the gun control people are always talking about. They claim it's how crazy people get guns. Isn't it how you circumvent the back ground checks? In stead of buying your guns at Cabela's, you buy them from some dude on Craigslist? I don't mind getting gun permits and registering my guns. It seems like a good way to keep track of them to me.

You have every right to do what you want when it comes to your firearms, it’s a free country. All of my firearms are legal and were acquired legally. You AND the government have no right to know what is in my safe. It’s none of your business and that’s the law.

You have every right to do what you want when it comes to your firearms, it’s a free country. All of my firearms are legal and were acquired legally. You AND the government have no right to know what is in my safe. It’s none of your business and that’s the law.

Yep until you go out and shoot up a ghey night club....

You have to know I'm just messing with you! My brother has over 40 firearms and I have a couple dozen. I really don't care what you do in general. I don't WANT the govt in my business any more than necessary, either.

You have to know I'm just messing with you! My brother has over 40 firearms and I have a couple dozen. I really don't care what you do in general. I don't WANT the govt in my business any more than necessary, either.
Sorry, some things are just not funny. Implying that owning firearms causes people to become mass murderers is one of them

So basically they require us to register in case there is an accident they know who to blame.

So basically they require us to register in case there is an accident they know who to blame.

Well it does add a layer of accountability. Granted "rogues" won't register but even those who don't intend to break rules/laws do and they sometimes try to hide it.

Sorry, some things are just not funny. Implying that owning firearms causes people to become mass murderers is one of them

Oh I don't know, it's pretty funny! I just used the usual arguments... Besides, you have to admit you got in my business first and implied that I was lying about registering my guns. So maybe you stop implying people are liars and I'll stop implying people that buy their guns off the grid are up to to something. Deal?

Well it does add a layer of accountability. Granted "rogues" won't register but even those who don't intend to break rules/laws do and they sometimes try to hide it.

True. Besides, it's not all bad. If someone finds your drone, they can turn it in and the govt can contact you. In theory of course.

Reactions: BigAl07
Oh I don't know, it's pretty funny! I just used the usual arguments... Besides, you have to admit you got in my business first and implied that I was lying about registering my guns. So maybe you stop implying people are liars and I'll stop implying people that buy their guns off the grid are up to to something. Deal?
Not even going to respond to you..... if anyone gives a rip, they can go back and see I didn’t imply you lied about anything. I’m out. If you have anything else you want to say to me, take it to PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair