DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration to be required again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't want to do business with you, they want your name in a database and you have to pay $5.00 for the privilege of giving it to them.
I think I'll pass; not impressed with their performance to date.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I'm with you... My registration should lapse this month. I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about anything our gubment is doing in the name of future-proofing the drone industry. They always have a solution for a system of punishment - but rarely a solution for advancement.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
I just attended an FAA safety seminar. A few things I heard from the Feds and some locals (to include law enforcement)

According to the folks at my FSDO, sUAV compliance will be a priority for the Feds. It seems that additional funding may come their way for additional inspectors to become the "drone police." Let's face it, they could hire 10,000 people and they could never effectively police every aspect of sUAV operations, be it 107 or 101, BUT they are going to work with state and local law enforcement as well as political leaders who may enact local laws that will enable them to fine you if you're not compliance with Federal regulations, to include registration. In some cases those same local deputy dogs may turn you over to the Feds if they feel you're violating a federal law. ***** and complain, take an anti-government "I'm not going to do this" attitude, but in the end ask your self, "is your hobby going to be worth the risk of a $25K+ fine if you happen to get on the wrong end of Johnny law"?

Last edited:
"is your hobby going to be worth the risk of a $25K+ fine if you happen to get on the wrong end of Johnny law"?
Rattle your chains if you agree! When politicians are held to account, when 10-lb model airplanes have to register, when terrorists and criminals register their drones - then they're making progress. Otherwise, how does this benefit American citizens? It's just putting your name on another government list and another 5 bucks into their office-remodeling account.

This is not academic; remember just a couple years ago when the OPM database was stolen, compromising sensitive personal and security-clearance information on 22 million Americans? Anybody punished for that? No.

Last edited:
Just curious, I am not an American citizen, I am from Belgium.
Just because your “President” Trump signs a bill, is it automatically a law?
Does he really have that kind of power? Using Twitter maybe?
Frightening, no?

Frightening, no?
For any fellow Gen-X'rs out there, and anyone from Belgium.

Last edited:
Rattle your chains if you agree! When politicians are held to account, when 10-lb model airplanes have to register, when terrorists and criminals register their drones - then they're making progress. Otherwise, how does this benefit American citizens? It's just putting your name on another government list and another 5 bucks into their office-remodeling account.

This is not academic; remember just a couple years ago when the OPM database was stolen, compromising sensitive personal and security-clearance information on 22 million Americans? Anybody punished for that? No.

Your points are taken - you're still going to have to register your drone, plain and simple and the microscope will only zoom closer when state and local LE get involved.

Frightening, no?
The classic cartoon linked above, well-known here in the USA, does a pretty good job of explaining the process, but avoids all the backroom deals, corruption and bribes that sometimes occur to get laws passed. We have far too many laws, many of them just flat-out purchased by one special interest or another to get what they want.

To give you a simple answer though, no - the President's signature on a bill is the final step of a long process, after a bill (called a "bill" until it's finally a law) is passed by both our House and Senate (the two branches of our Federal Congress). Then it goes to the President for signature, but he has the option to NOT sign it, called a veto, stopping it from becoming a law. A veto can go back to the Congress and be overridden into law without the President's agreement, but it requires far more supporting votes to do it. This system, called Checks & Balances, is supposed to prevent any single part of our government from unilaterally having its way without broad support from the others.

Our President has NO authority whatsoever to create or change laws on his own; he can suggest laws and changes to laws to Congress, but they have to do it - the President's primary responsibility is to manage the implementation and enforcement of laws.

Since I was very young and first grasped how our system is set up via a method created in 1791 (when our Constitution was adopted), I've been thoroughly impressed by, and proud of, the insights and wisdom of those men long ago - they did a pretty darn good job creating a system from scratch. And they wrote down their thinking and reasoning along the way, so we know what was in their minds as it unfolded over several years. Many disagreements, many arguments, but they finally hammered out an agreement for the ages.

These days, as with this silly registration, it's getting harder to remember that our USA government was created to secure the individual liberties of free, self-governing citizens. Millions of laws that now exist hide that noble goal.

End of sermon, but any questions feel free to post or private-message me. Thanks for your interest in our process.

Last edited:
In the US, I can fly myself in an ultralight aircraft that weighs 254 lbs, with no license, no registration, no training and go to any height I can reach, but a 13 year old child has to register with the FAA to fly the toy he gets for Christmas.
You can't fly your ultralight in controlled airspace

In the US, I can fly myself in an ultralight aircraft that weighs 254 lbs, with no license, no registration, no training and go to any height I can reach, but a 13 year old child has to register with the FAA to fly the toy he gets for Christmas.

The personal consequences of getting it wrong are a bit more serious for that activity than for flying a drone, which is likely to discourage reckless or ignorant piloting. However, I think that the correct answer is not that flying these kinds of drones should not require training and registration, but rather that ultralights should require those things too.

Of course not but laws did not stop that idiot from landing his gyrocopter on the white house lawn. ;)
They didn't but I think after he was caught and prosecuted others with similar moronic thoughts would "think twice"!

Can anyone find the exact section of the bill that addresses this? My old eyes are going crossed, and I’ve run out of key words to search the 1200+ pages. As much as I trust the press...ahem..I prefer being an educated citizen.

The personal consequences of getting it wrong are a bit more serious for that activity than for flying a drone, which is likely to discourage reckless or ignorant piloting. However, I think that the correct answer is not that flying these kinds of drones should not require training and registration, but rather that ultralights should require those things too.

BINGO!!!

Can anyone find the exact section of the bill that addresses this? My old eyes are going crossed, and I’ve run out of key words to search the 1200+ pages. As much as I trust the press...ahem..I prefer being an educated citizen.

SEC. 1092. COLLABORATION BETWEEN FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AND DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE ON UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS.
Public Law 112–95; 49 U.S.C. 40101 note).

(d) Restoration Of Rules For Registration And Marking Of Unmanned Aircraft.—The rules adopted by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015-7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act.

Last edited:
Reactions: xdfireguy
Frightening, no?

Huh? Bills are made into law by going through Congress, House and Senate, once they make it through Congress, they are sent to the president to sign or veto.

Reactions: BigAl07
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78